Microsoft will Phase out iconic Nokia Brand Name

99vw

$7.2 billion is just a number.

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it

- Frederic Bastiat 1850

Every empire crumbles eventually, yesterday it was blackberry, today it's nokia tomorrow it might be apple or sony.   welcome to a capitalist society. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

-snip-

Still, regardless of how established the brand was, Nokia was competing in a world that is obsessed with Samsung and Apple. Don't think I'm anti-Nokia or anything. In fact, I'm the type who really doesn't care about expensive smart phones to begin with at all. Even though MS has the capital available to do amazing things, their marketing department is a joke. With what is out there already,  it's established the world is content with iOS and Android. MS didn't need to get itself involved with the mobile phone market.MS and phones does seem as daft as Nintendo making a fridge. With Microsoft wanting to branch out, maybe there would be an MS fridge some day..that'd be weird. They should stick with Windows and trying to improve their PR more than anything. 

I'm still standing by nostalgia is playing a huge rule in Nokia since for the life of me I can't think of a stand out modern product from them vs jokes about how durable their old phones were.

If they are going to replace with Windows Phone instead then facepalm...

Everyone whos not a newborn fawn knows about Nokia, no one knows about windows phone.Bad move.

People need to realize that Nokia actually doesn't have a strong name anymore.

I have a Lumia. First question from people is usually "Nokia still makes phones?"

Nokia's brand name is hardly icon, it's associated with a phone that hasn't been made in half a decade and shitty phones. 

Pardon? I don't quite understand what you're saying.

Pardon? I don't quite understand what you're saying.

The Nokia brick phone that everybody knows is no longer mad, so the memory of that isn't helping their sales, and Nokia is not a popular phone brand in the modern age. They lose nothing by ditching the name. 

What a shame. Microsoft is killing one of the only thing that makes these Windows phones sell. I hope the people at Nokia quit and start their own company.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Nokia's brand name is hardly icon, it's associated with a phone that hasn't been made in half a decade and shitty phones. 

depends on the region ... in Asian and other markets out of North america its a whole different story. 

this might be good for North american markets but probably a disaster for asian markets where Nokia is a huge brand name. and its name that people trust. its not like they make awful phones.

god this is sad :( ...

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Good idea. Whenever anyone hears the brand "Nokia" they picture a useless phone that can only take photos and call people.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

stop talking youe only gonna make it worse. of the top 10 best selling phones world wide 9 are nokia and 8 of those are from 2000 on and 1 is from 2009 anyone who has owned a phone in the last 10 years will know that nokia made awsome phones. id rather buy a nokia than a ms phone

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Nokia name will still exists. Microsoft bought the phone division of Nokia, not the entire company, or the name.

The only name they bought from Nokia is Lumia.

Microsoft CAN rent the name the Nokia name if they want, to keep the Nokia name on the phone, but that would be Microsoft marketing decision, where if they see or not any value in Nokia branding.

+1

Microsoft is going to get rid of the Nokia brand from the Lumia phones because Nokia is still an independent company which didn't sell its name to Microsoft. I guess MS could rent the "Nokia" name but it's unlikely.

I'm not surprised that many american users never thought about Nokia being anything special since even back in the golden days, Nokia was never a hit in the US despite it being the largest mobile phone manufacturer in the world.

When it comes to selling the mobile phone business, I think it was really clever move from Nokia. They were on big trouble with the mobile phone business and the entire company could have gone bankrupt if it hadn't sold the business. Now Nokia is once again making good profit but obviously we are not going to see new Nokia handsets anymore (not in the near future at least).

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

stop talking youe only gonna make it worse. of the top 10 best selling phones world wide 9 are nokia and 8 of those are from 2000 on and 1 is from 2009 anyone who has owned a phone in the last 10 years will know that nokia made awsome phones. id rather buy a nokia than a ms phone

2009 was half a decade ago. They're irrelevant in the current market. 

Nokia would have done so well making android phones - this makes me sad.

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013