PLEASE make Steam os as fast as possible! (look at link)

NeoChrome

There is not such thing as "SteamOS", it's Debian with Valve/Steam wallpaper.

100% This!

Don't try talking about how Linux users will switch to SteamOS because unless they want to run a HTPC few of them will they will simply enjoy running the steam games in their normal distro.

Steam OS and Linux are one and the same it's like trying to compare steam and steam big picture on pc they look different but do the exact same thing!

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Well if SteamOS is done right it will not be your traditional Linux and you will never know what the kernel really is. Non-Traditional in the sense that you won't be able to tweak the kernel nor add modules unless Steam approves of them as in they come from them. I envision SteamOS as a locked down OS not an OpenOS as traditional Linux users are accustomed to. If its truly open it will be hacks a plenty and you'll have people flying around as ghosts in BF or Halo killing at will. So don't get your hopes up that it will be truly open because it will only spell doom for you in a multiplayer game, locked down would hopefully set the bar high enough so multiplayer gaming isn't a total farce.

As for speed, RAID 0 FTW! I/O is the bottle neck these days loading up the freaking game after that anything half decent is fast enough unless your net is lagging you.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I would rather use something I am used to like Debian. I wouldn't switch and I don't think most Linux users would either. You can already play all the Steam OS games on Linux. The streaming is the only nifty thing about it.

SteamOS uses debian, js.

I really really, really want steamOS to be a thing. Linux is capable of doing anything that windows can do and it doesn't make it any harder to do so.

It might be different from what you're used to but damn it's free and powerful as f.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

SteamOS uses debian, js.

I really really, really want steamOS to be a thing. Linux is capable of doing anything that windows can do and it doesn't make it any harder to do so.

It might be different from what you're used to but damn it's free and powerful as f.

Humm... not really. The issue with Gaming OS's or a true Gaming OS is it needs to be a realtime OS and Linux is not, its a timeshared OS as in it shares its resources equally or depending on the processes Nice level (you can call it priority). A true Gaming OS is ideally a realtime OS, you want the game to be 100% of the OS's priority not checking if you files are intact or who that random ping is coming from as it takes away from the Game's processing time. You can tweak Linux to try to be a realtime OS, hence RT Linux but its not really there yet.

More info here for those who want to know what RT is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_operating_system

Windows will still be the "master race" for a while longer IMO. Windows has SO much more program support. 

Can somebody please explain to me why Linux is a better alternative to Windows? 

Windows will still be the "master race" for a while longer IMO. Windows has SO much more program support. 

Can somebody please explain to me why Linux is a better alternative to Windows? 

People think because it Open Source they will be able to have things for free or cheaper, but in the long run it will be more expensive as the gaming user base is currently on Windows and you're going to have to pull those Windows installs out of their computers which currently have their current games. Dual boot, yea that's an option but who really wants to bother dual booting when you already have your games on Windows? Again, a few will do it but it will take a major effort to convert the masses and as we all know Linux is not for everyone, as good as its gotten its still a but rough on the edges and that will scare away the average Windows user unless they have no choice or the choice is a total win/win.

I'm not saying I won't convert just that its going to take a lot of work. Well Windows could try to remove the start menu again, that would certainly give Linux some momentum.

Well if SteamOS is done right it will not be your traditional Linux and you will never know what the kernel really is. Non-Traditional in the sense that you won't be able to tweak the kernel nor add modules unless Steam approves of them as in they come from them. I envision SteamOS as a locked down OS not an OpenOS as traditional Linux users are accustomed to. If its truly open it will be hacks a plenty and you'll have people flying around as ghosts in BF or Halo killing at will. So don't get your hopes up that it will be truly open because it will only spell doom for you in a multiplayer game, locked down would hopefully set the bar high enough so multiplayer gaming isn't a total farce.

this is the opposite of What it is. SteamOS is a Debian based distro. There are many others like it, and it's open. You can exit the steam client, go into desktop mode and do whatever You want with it, it's not a console. The closed part is the steam application itself, and the games themselves, Not the OS. Valve has nothing to gain from trying to lock down an OS. All that would happen is the Linux community would turn against them.

So, you are saying that you use a PC as a overpriced gaming console? You do NOTHING else with your system?

Once upon time Gaben ported doom for windows which made everyone think that maybe windows will be good for gaming -> people started to use windows which made it more popular.

And because windows was super popular, people of course started to make more software to windows!

If everybody gamed on linux more software developers would probably start to make software for linux and anyways you can do almost anything you do with windows with linux.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Whats the point of steam os? I don't know about anybody else, but I have games (and other programs) that don't run on any thing else but windows. I think the only reason people "love" this thing so much is because it has Steam in the name. Idk about anybody else, but I'm sticking with windows 8.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

But do people actually realize that "consoles" are smaller factor PC's that run custom Operating Systems?

I explained this to a fellow engineer at work last week, actually. She looked at me like I was insane and demanded I explain how a computer is comparable to her PS4. It was... kind of hilarious, objectively. I couldn't stop face-palming at the time.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Linux is capable of doing anything that windows can do and it doesn't make it any harder to do so.

Dude I use Linux. It is what I am used to.   :huh: ?

I should be studying.