r9 290 non reference model

Hey there, its me (again :P) i am picking up an r9 290 this summer along with my new rig... what non reference model should i choose? Also, PLEASE answer this question. is it true that direct cu II is bad for hawaii? the non reference models I want are: sapphire tri-x or vapor-x, the msi gaming card or gigabyte windforce. answer both questions please.

Yup, the DC2 is bad for AMD.

Tri-x gets my vote. Beast.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

DCUII is amazing, where did you hear it was bad? Honestly it's the variant you should get.

DCUII is amazing, where did you hear it was bad? Honestly it's the variant you should get.

well, here on the forums everyone says it runs at damn 85 degrees, while versions like tri-x at around 68..

No just no,

The cooler is from a 780 it doesn't make good contact with the core and vrm's

Only good cooler is the one form sapphire and the latest revision from Gigabyte.

No just no,

The cooler is from a 780 it doesn't make good contact with the core and vrm's

Only good cooler is the one form sapphire and the latest revision from Gigabyte.

well im really digging into sapphire... should i attempt it?

Myth: DCUII is bad on amd cards, you get 85c+

My r9 290 DCUII OC has never crossed the 70c line even at full load with the fans spinning at 40%.

BUSTED.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

well, here on the forums everyone says it runs at damn 85 degrees, while versions like tri-x at around 68..

I've not seen one run that high so far but okay, if that's the case then.

My r9 290 DCUII OC has never crossed the 70c line even at full load with the fans spinning at 40%.

BUSTED.

i cant trust sauron...

i cant trust sauron...

xD I can post you a screenshot of msi afterburner if you want, but not today (I'm going to bed in a few minutes b) )

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

xD I can post you a screenshot of msi afterburner if you want, but not today (I'm going to bed in a few minutes B) )

well, room temps? case?airflow? all that stuff matters

The asus r9 290 is fine, there is nothing wrong with it. However it's more expensive. A double dissipation XFX or a Powercolor card is going to be cool, quiet and perform the same, at a lower pricepoint.

well, room temps? case?airflow? all that stuff matters

case: antec 100

room temp: 25-26c

airflow: good but nothing übermode, I haven't added any fans to the stock case ones.

there's this, too: 

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

BUSTED.

You might be lucky mine ran easily in the 80s low  90s with both bioses.

You might be lucky mine ran easily in the 80s low  90s with both bioses.

Well, either I got the über cherry picked golden sample chip of the decade (possible even if unlikely, since it is oc'd out of the box it might be that only the best chips get on those cards), or you got a defective card. Maybe with this particular model the quality control isn't as high as usual and a lot of people got a dud.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, either I got the über cherry picked golden sample chip of the decade (possible even if unlikely, since it is oc'd out of the box it might be that only the best chips get on those cards), or you got a defective card. Maybe with this particular model the quality control isn't as high as usual and a lot of people got a dud.

Nah mate loads of people have this issue with bad temps.

I also got that issue that's why i returned it.

Grab the Tri-x, own it myself and never have temp problems, very fast card too.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW