SMOKING Corsair ForceGT SSD + power connector literally MELTED

miaam
Go to solution Solved by miaam,

It's been a few days, I haven't notice any smoke, house burning down or hell fire.
I'm gonna assume this was caused by a wonky cable extension that just happens to catch on fire if a full moon rises on Friday the 13th and mark this issue as solved.

This is my first real post on the forum, might be a little messy.
So yeah, my SSD may have caught on fire ??

I was gaming (nothing too intensive: Brütal Legend) when I noticed a bunch of smoke coming from my case.
I instantly turned off the computer, opened the side panel and then unplugged the computer from the wall socket.
(The computer seemed ok on the software side when I noticed the smoke, no glitch no nothing)

The sata power connector for my SSD was pretty much melted, the SSD was cold to the touch (aluminium casing)
I unplugged the connector, to make sure it wasn't melting and then hardening in place making it impossible to unplug later
Smoke was still coming out of the SSD a good ten minutes after the comp was off.
There's now a bunch of nasty black stuff all over the place, and a nice smell of burnt plastic to go with it...

So, I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences and if you had any advice on how do proceed next.
What I'm planning to do is, wait till stores open (it happened a little after 4 am) grab some air duster and remove the black stuff that's all over the case. And then maybe open the SSD casing to see if there's some damage in there, before I try to boot the computer with the same SSD and a new power cable.

If you have any thoughts on things I should or should not do, feel free to contribute.
I would also be interested on possible causes, so I could avoid a similar accident.
If you need more information/details, feel free to ask.

FPJ0v29.jpg
↑ Melted SATA power connector ↓
lwplGbE.jpg

bGYVkNK.jpg
↑ Smoking SSD ↑
i9Ayeq7.jpg
↑ Burn marks on the side pannel ↑

Relevant Specs: (I'll be editting those if more details are needed)
Corsair SSD 120GB Force Series GT (installed in January 2013 same spot/cabling)
Cooler Master Real Power Pro M700 (system draws less than 100W on idle and about 250W on heavy load, been using it for 5years)
old ass Antec P182 case with decent airflow, (5 Noctuas on LNA)
(including an intake fan blowing cool air along side the SSD)

RMA? was the smoke coming directly from the SSD or just the power connector? It could possibly an issue with the power connector of your PSU, because it sounds like your PC was still running while it started smoking...This leads me to believe it was not the SSD, since that would have immediately crashed your system long before you saw any smoke.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would say that the PSU is way to overkill if you're saying that your system only draws 250W on load. But I could also be wrong and that you had some bad luck.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Looks like your PSU threw a hissy fit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This is my first real post on the forum, might be a little messy.

So yeah, my SSD may have caught on fire ??

I was gaming (nothing too intensive: Brütal Legend) when I noticed a bunch of smoke coming from my case.

I instantly turned off the computer, opened the side panel and then unplugged the computer from the wall socket.

(The computer seemed ok on the software side when I noticed the smoke, no glitch no nothing)

The sata power connector for my SSD was pretty much melted, the SSD was cold to the touch (aluminium casing)

I unplugged the connector, to make sure it wasn't melting and then hardening in place making it impossible to unplug later

Smoke was still coming out of the SSD a good ten minutes after the comp was off.

There's now a bunch of nasty black stuff all over the place, and a nice smell of burnt plastic to go with it...

So, I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences and if you had any advice on how do proceed next.

What I'm planning to do is, wait till stores open (it happened a little after 4 am) grab some air duster and remove the black stuff that's all over the case. And then maybe open the SSD casing to see if there's some damage in there, before I try to boot the computer with the same SSD and a new power cable.

If you have any thoughts on things I should or should not do, feel free to contribute.

I would also be interested on possible causes, so I could avoid a similar accident.

If you need more information/details, feel free to ask.

FPJ0v29.jpg

lwplGbE.jpg

↑ Melted SATA power connector ↓

bGYVkNK.jpg

↑ Smoking SSD ↑

i9Ayeq7.jpg

↑ Burn marks on the side pannel ↑

Relevant Specs: (I'll be editting those if more details are needed)

Corsair SSD 120GB Force Series GT

700W CoolerMaster PSU (system draws less than 100W on idle and about 250W on heavy load)

old ass Antec P182 case

with decent airflow, (5 Noctuas on LNA)

(including an intake fan blowing cool air along side the SSD)

Its possible you had a power surge. Are you on a surge protector?

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Wow. My guess would be the power supply also. Which model is your 700W?

Cooler Master Real Power Pro M700

I've been using it for 5+ years.

RMA? was the smoke coming directly from the SSD or just the power connector? It could possibly an issue with the power connector of your PSU, because it sounds like your PC was still running while it started smoking...This leads me to believe it was not the SSD, since that would have immediately crashed your system long before you saw any smoke.

My guess is it's the small extension I used for the sata power. Been using it for a couple of years tho.

Its possible you had a power surge. Are you on a surge protector?

Yup, using a surge protector and an uninterrupted PSU.

We did have electric storms in the past couple of days.

My guess is it's the small extension I used for the sata power. Been using it for a couple of years tho.

Ok then try switching that to something of better quality, there is a big chance it shorted out, which is what melted the plastic, creating all the smoke.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Cooler Master Real Power Pro M700

I've been using it for 5+ years.

Yup, using a surge protector and an uninterrupted PSU.

We did have electric storms in the past couple of days.

If you where on both of those I don't think you would have any problems if there was a surge. I would get a replacement if it still has the warranty. Or possible upgrade to a newer one.

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

looks like the PSU cuased it.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Lots of people seem to think the PSU aused it.
If so, is it safe to boot again with the same set up (except the melted cable)?
Is there any way to test the PSU before I declare it dead/evil?

And, as a more general question, is it bad to have a big margin of wattage?
(I can see how using a crazy SLI setup drawing +500W on a 350W PSU is a hazard but, is the opposite situation dangerous?)

whatever caused it you need to try and rma both the PSU and the SSD.
Try the PSU first, and tell them that it wrecked your SSD. If they don't replace your SSD, try and RMA that from the source.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

whatever caused it you need to try and rma both the PSU and the SSD.

Try the PSU first, and tell them that it wrecked your SSD. If they don't replace your SSD, try and RMA that from the source.

I'm not trying to get my money back, I'm just traying to make sure I'm doing things in a safe way.

The PSU is 5+ years old, the SSD is 2 or so, there's no RMAing it ;)

I'm gonna go buy some sata cables and then I will open the SSD and report when I'm back.

She is soooo HOT!

Here's a update on the current situation:

TL;DR: more crazy chemical fumes, SATA power & data extension at fault. Fixed?

imgur album with all the pics in this post http://imgur.com/a/edyzB#0

I cleaned the SSD and figured there was no need to open it.

There was some dark crusty stuff on the power connector, and a small part of the plastic was eaten away.

SR5QjVm.jpg

ogpODC0.jpg

But here comes the weird part: while I was cleaning the nasty residue on the Corsair metal tray, some white "smoke" started to appear again... wtf!?

I think some sort of chemical reaction was releasing fumes, this is probably the same thing that I mistook for smoke coming out of the SSD. (From the smell I'm guessing maybe some sulfur compound eating the plastic?)

RxC52WD.jpg

I took a close look at the SSD extension, and I am certain it was the cause of this incident. 

I tested the wires, and the yellow wire and black wire next to it are shorted.

KiQme0W.jpg

fVlPKJs.jpg

I can't remember where I got that extension, it was in my box of handy cables and adapters, could have come with a different SSD or a laptop HDD. 

The branding on it says "OWP SATA - Crimping"  wires have a "VEGA TECH 300V 80°C lettering. 

QM8CUVv.jpg

jFqDVNA.jpg

rVDZZhf.jpg

Gr9mUao.jpg

DMhpRYM.jpg

You can notice there is still some nasty oily stuff on the melted parts.

2tLf9Q6.jpg

0x4z9zI.jpg

KIjhvi3.jpg

K0IMRry.jpg

ON4wOQ8.jpg

gIkcINK.jpg

Based on the burn mark on the side panel I believe there was a open flame at some point, probably for a very short time, 

and this somehow initiated a chemical reaction releasing nasty fumes.

MihEJtY.jpg

f6VSqR1.jpg

After all those fun discoveries, I was confident my PSU and SSD were not at fault, and decided to plug the SSD back.

the PC booted properly and I am now posting from it.

SGQo2XF.jpg

If something similar were to happen to you, I suggest you:

turn off the computer (and eventually unplug it)

quickly unplug the SSD (mine was not hot) and try to clean it before the plastic gets damaged too much.

For the time being I won't let the computer run without monitoring, just in case.

I will mark the topic as solved if nothing weird happens in the next few days.

Looks like something shorted it out... it could be the connector + dust, or something in the SSD. I would open the SSD to check just in case. U don't want this happening again I guess xD

U should be in a good ventilated room when the plastic is still releasing chemicals!!! lol

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few days, I haven't notice any smoke, house burning down or hell fire.
I'm gonna assume this was caused by a wonky cable extension that just happens to catch on fire if a full moon rises on Friday the 13th and mark this issue as solved.

Thats weird anyway,since any psu must have overvoltage protection...Be carefull,and check it daily imo..