Avast free or Avg free for better performance?

Hello i just wanted to know which of those av will use less resources of my computer in other that ir perfoms better

I'm runing w7 x32 on my laptop and w7x64 on my desktop and i want to use it on both

thx

windows antivirus is good enough for most everything

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

windows antivirus is good enough for most everything

i want the extra security that an av provides because my parents also use the computer and that can be pretty dangerous sometimes

i want the extra security that an av provides because my parents also use the computer and that can be pretty dangerous sometimes

i doubt a free security service will get much better than windows security. but hey get it it just might be better who am i to say. i pay for my antivirus.

and avast looks to be a fan favorite

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

i doubt a free security service will get much better than windows security. but hey get it it just might be better who am i to say. i pay for my antivirus.

i will get it from now; but i will also check what other people thinks about it

i will get it from now; but i will also check what other people thinks about it

go right ahead. never listen to one person that is just silly. to only ask one person.

Ive used both Avast and AVG and to be honest I couldn't really tell the difference. The only thing that I really noticed was the almighty "Avast: Virus Database has been updated!" announcement. But I would go with either, both are good.

Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H | Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB OC GHz Edition | Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz

I have found Avast is less  hungry on system resources AVG used to slow down my laptop

I've had a lot of problems with AVG before. It automatically installed some bloatware, and I had issues where the Internet Security toolbar was causing my CPU to just randomly jump to 25% load every 5 seconds or so... and uninstalling it was a MAJOR pain in the arse (it just refused to uninstall, and attempting brute forcing it didn't work as it just came back). In the end, I had to enlist the might of reddit to help me get rid of it.

Had Avast for a while now and I love it. The only annoying thing is I don't know how to turn the pop-up message that tells me it's just updated off. If anyone could help me with that, I would be very grateful.

Wit is educated insolence.

I would never just rely on Windows for all my security needs.

This question has been asked time and time again.

Check out AV-Test.org for a full test report on all antivirus and security software even free ones.

Avast Free

http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=124563

AVG Free

http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=124528

IMO i have used both and found them both to be very simmilar.

I would have to say aVast is the best at staying up to date.  I even use it on my android.

i would recommend microsoft security essentials because it doesnt use much system resources. avg and avast were the complete opposite for me.

Second, because it's exactly what it says it is: Security Essentials.

If your parents' machine is vulnerable because of user error, then no amount of features are going to protect it.

I would recommend the combo of Avast Free + Malwarebyte's PRO, put each program in the others exclusion list as detailed on the malwarebytes forum to increase performance.

use avast free so much better then avg free gives me far less problems and i've installed a lot of avg and avast and avast all ways installs better and never plays up

I find MSE to have the least footprint of any anti-virus out there. Combine it with MalwareBytes and you have a great duo.

Depends on what you're talking about, "Windows security" If you're talking about the old windows defender, < Win7 then no, it doesn't do all too well since the definitions are updated every month apposed to the 2 updates a day from lets say Avast! (I use it personally), Most AV's cover Zero day's better than others, some pick up on other exploits better and quicker, but in the end, if you just want the detection and you're able to simply reinstall whenever then yea..

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

I loved Avast and still miss some of the features. I had to switch to MSE after finally figuring out Avast was causing bluescreens and not the hardware I'd been replacing.

So if you use Avast and start to notice some BSODs, it could be the culprit.

Used AVG and Avast, also Kaspersky Internet Security.

Both free versions of avg and avast let some viruses right past them, i.e. hosts file changers. Kaspersky payed service was really good until i switched to win 8 and they had some problems at launch, and i decided not to use it anymore. Atm im running win 8 smart screen+defender+firewall. Can't think of a reason to get something else for my PC

I use AVAST along side windows defender in windows 8. This is just so when I scan I scan it with both so I know I didn't miss anything.

i would say avg free is the best because if your avast is not usefull you should download a special uninstaller to untall the antiviruse programm but the avg is user friendly which will be more help full for beginners.

I use AVG free and Zonealarm free..I have never had a single problem...

I used AVG in the past for ~6 months and one day made the mistake of clicking ok to update, that windows install never booted again. After format / reinstall I found out AVG #$%^ up and pushed a bad update the corrupted windows kernal. Haven't gone back since. 

Here is an article with a better description of the AVG fiasco 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700