Is the AMD FX-8350 good for server?

So i got a pc whit a 8350 that i dont use for anything. And they are alot of people that say if you are going to have a server. It must be Intel. So what do you guys think? Anyone got any expirience use amd fx for servers?

i7-4770k,EVGA GTX 780, 16Gb Ram, Corsair H100i, Corsair 750D, Asus z87 Pro, 120Gb Samsung SSD, 3TB Western digital x2 and corsair rm1000

Doesn't matter ~ you can use your AMD CPU without any problem! :)

How will you be using this server?

It will be running Debian 7 and i will be hosting Teamspeak/Mumble/Minecraft and some wordpress sites.

i7-4770k,EVGA GTX 780, 16Gb Ram, Corsair H100i, Corsair 750D, Asus z87 Pro, 120Gb Samsung SSD, 3TB Western digital x2 and corsair rm1000

it will work fine, but if you ever were to  build a dedicated server machine you're better off picking other parts.

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

It will be running Debian 7 and i will be hosting Teamspeak/Mumble/Minecraft and some wordpress sites.

For something like that, it indeed does not matter that much, but if you're are looking for something like virtualization, than Intel is really the only way to go.

Also, the Intel drives are a lot more common and stable than the AMD drives in most Linux distros.

Thanks

If this is just a fun project then building/using own server is ok but if it's more serious then I would think about using VPS.

Will certainly draw a lot of power and therefore lead to a large electricity bill if it is running 24/7.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Will certainly draw a lot of power and therefore lead to a large electricity bill if it is running 24/7.

True but i dont pay for the power :P

If this is just a fun project then building/using own server is ok but if it's more serious then I would think about using VPS.

Yes, it is more of a fun project. Just to have it if i will ever need it.

Thanks

It will run fine for this sort of application

but this cpu will eat a lot of power and for virtualization you should stick with intel.

For small stuff like that it is fine. Intel is indeedly far better for servers in just about every way, tho it doesn't justify buying a new platform when you already have one.