looking for tips be better with horror games

SAV1OUR

well yea. i know it sounds odd trying to make yourself play a type of game style that you may not like but id just like to over come the fear of it. so far i have played all the dead spaces even though it wasn't as much as a horror based game as something like outlast it was still scary at times, i have also played the metro series and i loved it but that's likely because i enjoyed the game play and such. so yea any tips also id like to go into games blind so don't say watch videos because that's just going to ruin it.  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

well yea. i know it sounds odd trying to make yourself play a type of game style that you may not like but id just like to over come the fear of it. so far i have played all the dead spaces even though it wasn't as much as a horror based game as something like outlast it was still scary at times, i have also played the metro series and i loved it but that's likely because i enjoyed the game play and such. so yea any tips also id like to go into games blind so don't say watch videos because that's just going to ruin it.  

You can try and laugh at pop up scares cause usually they are very obvious it worked for me when I watched a scary movie a while back

You can try and laugh at pop up scares cause usually they are very obvious it worked for me when I watched a scary movie a while back

and for the not so obvious stuff... 

its kinda hard to laugh when your hearts racing 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

turn the lights on and don't wear headphones?

Fond memories of amnesia (HEH) with headphones in a pitch black room with monitors off, case covered, at 3 AM. 

Error: 410

Played Metro with headphones and it creeped the hell out of me cause of the monsters and the footsteps

Fond memories of amnesia (HEH) with headphones in a pitch black room with monitors off, case covered, at 3 AM. 

how was sleeping that night :P 

Specs

playing horror games with headphones is amazing but a really bad idea... :P

how was sleeping that night :P

like a rock, no dreams unfortunately

honestly I wouldn't mind having a nightmare now and then, for the sake of making things interesting. 

The only closest thing I've had is a zombie apocalypse, but the fun kind where the zombies are slow and dumb and I was having a great time. 

Error: 410

If you're really getting nightmares, you need to tell yourself and believe the truth.. that those things aren't real. When you get a bad dream just wake up and tell your brain to stop f*cking with you. If it's just about things jumping out at you in the game, meh unless your coldblooded you'll always react which is the human thing to do.

I take it, you're much younger than the 70 years your profile would have us believe :P . In that case it'll come with age.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

If you're really getting nightmares, you need to tell yourself and believe the truth.. that those thing aren't real. When you get a bad dream just wake up and tell your brain to stop f*cking with you. If it's just about things jumping out at you in the game, meh unless your coldblooded you'll always react which is the human thing to do.

na dreams are no issue i wake up in the end knowing i was dreaming. what just bugs me is jump scares and over reacting and stuff 

Specs

Sounds like a great way to not sleep. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Headhpones, no lights in the room, some time between 11pm and 5am.

Play Amnesia, Penumbra, Outlast, Slender, etc...

Put a teddy bear beside your keyboard and give it a hug every time something scares you :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Put a teddy bear beside your keyboard and give it a hug every time something scares you :P

id probably hug the teddies head off ;_;  

Specs

Slender is not scary

I'd probably start thinking the teddy bear is something evil.... =/

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

like a rock, no dreams unfortunately

honestly I wouldn't mind having a nightmare now and then, for the sake of making things interesting. 

The only closest thing I've had is a zombie apocalypse, but the fun kind where the zombies are slow and dumb and I was having a great time. 

Unless you have those nightmares where it feels like you're running in jello.  :(

I'd probably start thinking the teddy bear is something evil.... =/

Make sure it is pink.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Slender is not scary

Ik but it gives a small transition into the more horrific games rather than just going from some like metro (not that scary) to penumbra (very scary) :P

Spoiler

Ik but it gives a small transition into the more horrific games rather than just going from some like metro (not that scary) to penumbra (very scary) :P

hay some of metro was creepy 

Specs

To overcome the fear, become the fear itself.

For maybe some actual advice: accept your fear and learn to adapt to them. In this case, play more horror games. Eventually the 'horror' aspect becomes smaller and smaller for you (until you get bored of it).

Have something silly in the background like completely random and laughable music/audio. You could get both terrified AND burst into laughter at the same time... In theory, at least...

Something like this in the background while playing scary horror games (but more of it... :lol:):

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

To overcome the fear, become the fear itself.

For maybe some actual advice: accept your fear and learn to adapt to them. In this case, play more horror games. Eventually the 'horror' aspect becomes smaller and smaller for you (until you get bored of it).

Have something silly in the background like completely random and laughable music/audio. You could get both terrified AND burst into laughter at the same time... In theory, at least...

well isnt that counter productive? if i fear myself i wouldnt be able to get anything done :o

Specs

well isnt that counter productive? if i fear myself i wouldnt be able to get anything done :o

The point about you becoming the fear, is that it becomes part of you: you'll fear as much about anything scary as you fear yourself (AKA nearly not at all).

By that I mean: you're so experienced about the 'horror' in horror games that you don't fear much anymore.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Sit with a sterling silver switchblade next to you on your desk at all times.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

Sit with a sterling silver switchblade next to you on your desk at all times.

Better yet if bloody...

The best way, I think, to deal with it is to remember that none of it can hurt you. When I play horror games I do get scared. I've played through all of the Dead Space series at least three times, Amnesia, Outlast and a bit of Metro, and there are still points where things creep up on me, and I do get a little bit panicky when something tries to run towards me and there's nothing I can do about it. I sit at the desk with by back to an open room behind me, and I get scared that something is going to creep up behind me. But I know none of it is real. It is hard to block out, but so far nobody knows about anything supernatural so I can safely say it isn't real.

Try watching some scary films. Films can be less scary than games because there's less interaction and you can't anticipate what's going to happen as easily. You can also sit somewhere safe and comfortable and enjoy the experience. 

Good luck :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8