GPU VRAM brands do they matter?

dragoon20005

Depending on the manufacturer of the GPU take for example the R9 290X which I am planning to buy

I seen so far a few brands of VRAM being used on different cards

MSI 290X Lighting uses Samsung

Asus 290X DCUII OC uses Elpida

PowerColor 290X PCS+ uses Hynix

Sapphire 290X Vapor X also uses Hynix

I do hear Elpida VRAM don't really OC that well when compared to Hynix and Samsung and in the Asus 280X DCU II and Top edition have artifacts issues which require RMA

does it mean getting a GPU with Hynix or Samsung will be much better in terms of OC ability and other factors like temps generated?

Thanks

Regards

Dragoon20005

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Hynix is the best in terms of OCing, I don't know for sure about Samsung, but Elipida sucks.

Get the Sapphire card.

Samsung is all over the place, from servers to gaming to everything in-between. They may not OC well but they should have reliability behind them. 

Hynix is the best in terms of OCing, I don't know for sure about Samsung, but Elipida sucks.

Get the Sapphire card.

in terms of overclock the PowerColor PCS+ and MSI Lighting are pretty close

MSI got close to 1.7GHz @ 1690MHz and PowerColor @ 1645MHz while Sapphire Vapor-X got 1575MHz

@TheDigitalRealm

I hear you got the Lighting how is the OC on that card?

source from here

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/27.html

they were using the Sapphire Tri-X here but the Vapor X has a slight boost of 20MHz...

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Would you like a red lottery ticket or a blue lottery ticket?

It's a gamble either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ive gotten my hynix 770 to 8ghz and i know people with elpida that cant get any more than the original 7ghz

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Elpida sucks. Get the Hynix ones. However, this can be a lottery sometimes. You're not guaranteed to get the memory you want. Take for instance my Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X. I'm fortunate to have Hynix memory, but some future batches got Elpida memory.

Rig: Intel Core i7-2600 / Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X / 2 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Seagate Hybrid SSHD 2 TB / FSP500-60APN 500W / 3x 20" 1600x900 LED / 51" Samsung F5000 plasma / Acer K330 LED projector
15.6" Clevo W650SJ: Intel Core i7-4810MQ / Geforce GTX 850M / 1 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Hitachi 1 TB 7200 rpm
14" Lenovo Y460: Intel Core i5-520M / Mobility Radeon HD 5650 / 2 x 4 GB DDR3-1333 / Hitachi 500 GB 5400 rpm

in terms of overclock the PowerColor PCS+ and MSI Lighting are pretty close

MSI got close to 1.7GHz @ 1690MHz and PowerColor @ 1645MHz while Sapphire Vapor-X got 1575MHz

@TheDigitalRealm

I hear you got the Lighting how is the OC on that card?

source from here

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/27.html

they were using the Sapphire Tri-X here but the Vapor X has a slight boost of 20MHz...

All the Lightning GPU's use over-specced Hynix memory modules. I've gotten 1665MHz to pass Fire Strike on air, this is also with a 1270MHz core clock - so with stock core clocks, or even a 1200MHz core clock, I think I'd be able to get 1700MHz

stable. 

These are all just initial results though, I haven't done any proper tweaking yet, and the LN2 bios is still pretty limiting unless you get a fully unlocked bios from MSI. I should be able to get 1300MHz core on air. I don't know if I can be bothered until the Water block and second 290X Lightning comes. - Yes I ordered two - No, I don't have any money. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

All the Lightning GPU's use over-specced Hynix memory modules. I've gotten 1665MHz to pass Fire Strike on air, this is also with a 1270MHz core clock - so with stock core clocks, or even a 1200MHz core clock, I think I'd be able to get 1700MHz stable.

I do know Hynix memories are now in short supply due to the fire in the manufacturing plant

but the incident only affect the card makers which were previously using Hynix memories

I will be planning to get the 290X Lighting in that case since MSI uses Samsung memory

Review shows it was using Samsung memory or the recent batch uses Hynix?

I have no experience with other R9 280x brand but avoid Asus R9 280x DirectCU II as half of the VRAM has no heatsink or cooling which leads to massive artifacts even on stock.

btw, both of my Asus R9 280x uses Hynx VRAM.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

I do know Hynix memories are now in short supply due to the fire in the manufacturing plant

but the incident only affect the card makers which were previously using Hynix memories

I will be planning to get the 290X Lighting in that case since MSI uses Samsung memory

Review shows it was using Samsung memory or the recent batch uses Hynix?

The Hynix factory's fire was a long time ago. Don't worry about that.

The PCS+ overclocks very well. I recommend fully.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

The Hynix factory's fire was a long time ago. Don't worry about that.

The PCS+ overclocks very well. I recommend fully.

Well you would recommend the PCS+ :P  

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Well you would recommend the PCS+ :P  

Ask the guy who was having problems with his PCS+. It was Afterburner causing the issue, not PowerColor :P and his OCed to 1500/1100

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

As far as I know, Samsung and Hyinx are the best brands of VRAM, but because of the Hyinx fire, they're still not up to full capacity load, so card manufacturers went to Samsung, which meant Samsung started running out of VRAM, so Elpida is a much more budget friendly choice for a card manufacturer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I have no experience with other R9 280x brand but avoid Asus R9 280x DirectCU II as half of the VRAM has no heatsink or cooling which leads to massive artifacts even on stock.

btw, both of my Asus R9 280x uses Hynx VRAM.

were You able to solve the issue by cooling them?

Elpida in greek means hope

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

were You able to solve the issue by cooling them?

you could possibly buy an aftermarket vram heatsink but that would void the warranty as those things use permanent thermal adhesive paste to hold the tiny vram heatsink.

Mine is currently on RMA

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Get the Sapphire card.

....god damn it... I'm pretty sure I got elpida...

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

My MSI card has it, I think. GPU-Z will tell you for sure.

yup.....

That doesn't mean the whole card is bad, does it....? Do you just mean for like.. overclocking..?? :(

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

yup.....

That doesn't mean the whole card is bad, does it....? Do you just mean for like.. overclocking..?? :(

Nope, it just means that it won't OC too well. Like let's say if you had Hynix you could get 1450MHz, but Elipida can only do 1300MHz.

Nope, it just means that it won't OC too well. Like let's say if you had Hynix you could get 1450MHz, but Elipida can only do 1300MHz.

Ah okay. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

you could possibly buy an aftermarket vram heatsink but that would void the warranty as those things use permanent thermal adhesive paste to hold the tiny vram heatsink.

Mine is currently on RMA

Did your card returned from RMA already ? It's working fine ?

I also RMA my Asus R9 280X DC2T about a month ago, and ASUS said that they have replaced my card for a new one, and i must recieve it in approximately 2 days... Just wandering if your RMA process went well !

thanks

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

Elpida in greek means hope

Elpida in overclocking terms mean S&^T... 

SK Hynix and Samsung are where it's at currently.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal