If the problem persists, check Event Viewer to see the cause of the shutdown. If nothing i listed, it's almost certainly your PSU. If a PSU gets overloaded, it'll just shut off, and nothing usually gets logged to Even Viewer at all, meaning no BSOD.

if you've read earleier psot in the thread you'll know he did that. But still a nice thought you cared :)

I think I just fixed it by updating my BIOS!

If it the crashes don't appear you've solved the problem..

if you've read earleier psot in the thread you'll know he did that. But still a nice thought you cared :)

If it the crashes don't appear you've solved the problem..

Thanks for the help and everybody else that helped me. I will keep you posted on if it shuts down.

EDIT: Still shuts off when playing Battlefield 4. I also stress tested my GPU with FurMark and it went up too 71 C and it didn't shut down. But when playing BF4 it shuts down and my GPU is 50 C. 

Thanks for the help and everybody else that helped me. I will keep you posted on if it shuts down.

EDIT: Still shuts off when playing Battlefield 4. I also stress tested my GPU with FurMark and it went up too 71 C and it didn't shut down. But when playing BF4 it shuts down and my GPU is 50 C. 

Won't be your GPU. Try and stress test your CPU, monitor temps and voltages.

Won't be your GPU. Try and stress test your CPU, monitor temps and voltages.

Program? Also don't forget about the event viewer saying under Critical 'Kernal-Power' and another thing I forgot to say is it doesn't just shut down on high workloads it shuts off when playing LOL (League of Legends) and having chrome open, but it is mostly when playing a game and having Skype and chrome open.

Program? Also don't forget about the event viewer saying under Critical 'Kernal-Power' and another thing I forgot to say is it doesn't just shut down on high workloads it shuts off when playing LOL (League of Legends) and having chrome open, but it is mostly when playing a game and having Skype and chrome open.

can stress test it with Prime95, measure temps with CoreTemp, or RealTemp, and measure voltages with CPU-Z

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

What mode in Prime should I stress test with?

Small FFT's

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Small FFT's

So I pressed Ok on Prime95 with Small FFT's and 2 seconds later it shuts off. The temps were 31 C and I didn't get a look at the Voltage, sadly.

EDIT: But the voltage I get when not doing anything but using chrome is 1.344

It may have made one pass in that amount of time, but it will keep making passes if you let it sit their. Just do that, and let it go for like 2 hours whilst monitoring temps.

It may have made one pass in that amount of time, but it will keep making passes if you let it sit their. Just do that, and let it go for like 2 hours whilst monitoring temps.

But I can't let it stress test for 2 hours if it won't make it out of 2 seconds.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Prime95. If you system shut down so shortly after running it, it makes me think you have an OC applied to your processor that's super unstable.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Prime95. If you system shut down so shortly after running it, it makes me think you have an OC applied to your processor that's super unstable.

Well I have never OC anything in my system. Here's the speed of the CPU: 3515.80 :If it was a OC that was there for some reason then how would I take it off?

Well I have never OC anything in my system. Here's the speed of the CPU: 3515.80 :If it was a OC that was there for some reason then how would I take it off?

That should be stock if you've never done anything. I'm personally, all out of ideas now though, as to the cause of the problem.

That should be stock if you've never done anything. I'm personally, all out of ideas now though, as to the cause of the problem.

Ok thanks for the help.

I did customly build my pc. Did I do something wrong?

I have a similar problem, but as you can see, no solution. Let me know if you figure out anything and I'll do the same for you.

I have a similar problem, but as you can see, no solution. Let me know if you figure out anything and I'll do the same for you.

I think I will just take it to the computer store near me.

EDIT: Have you updated your drivers or BIOS? I wanted to try memtest86 but I decide I am just going to the computer store.

I think I will just take it to the computer store near me.

EDIT: Have you updated your drivers or BIOS? I wanted to try memtest86 but I decide I am just going to the computer store.

I always keep my drivers up to date. My BIOS is slightly outdated, but the revisions don't list anything that seems related to this issue, and to be honest I'm scared to update it in case it breaks something else.

I always keep my drivers up to date. My BIOS is slightly outdated, but the revisions don't list anything that seems related to this issue, and to be honest I'm scared to update it in case it breaks something else.

I was scared too. But I did it and it didn't fix anything :(

Well, my computer just froze after trying to play BF4 again. The mouse and keyboard wouldn't work, so I tried unplugging the screen from the HDMI port on my graphics card and plugging it back in and it still froze. Any ideas?

Try something like this: (i've had good luck with Antec also)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182132

Thanks. But I rather get the Coolermaster VSM series 750w or V series 850w

http://www.ncix.com/detail/coolermaster-v750-semi-modular-750w-cf-97010.htm

I also don't think it is the Power supply but it might still be. I will probably just go to a computer store and let them deal with it, because I don't want to spend anymore money for a part that might not fix it.

You tried to stress test your RAM? try that. if it also shuts down you should try a different processor.

You tried to stress test your RAM? try that. if it also shuts down you should try a different processor.

Oh yeah Prime85 has that, Thanks I will test it now. Do you know what setting to put it at in Prime?

EDIT: Yep, it shut down when stress testing ram.

under load and kernel power issues almost always are due to a bad PSU.  Buy a PSU tester from Tiger, Newegg, or wherever (they are only about $10).  They are extremely simple to use, and short of monitoring the VA with a multimeter this is the best you can do for testing your PSU.  Also keep in mind that Dynex (Best Buy store brand) would be a super low budget PSU, the equivilent of a GM vehicle.  Look for one made with japanese capacitors and that has some weight to it.  If your 500w PSU is > 5 lbs, it is an el cheapo.  Coolermaster is also a good brand, nothing wrong with that.  Personally I have an EVGA G2 1300w which has a 10 year manufacture warranty which is unheard of with any other brand.  So look at the warranty period.  It is a testiment to quality.  5 years means it is probably a good quality PSU.  One last final thought about cheap PSU's, just because they say they provided 500w peak performance (usually at unreal conditions such as 25 degrees C), it is not the same as high temp load 24/7 continuous current.  So check out those things, and if you want to save money in the long term you should look at the effiency of the PSU.

"We will never make a 32-bit operating system." -- Bill Gates, 1989