Help w/ kiosk

BustinJustin

I'm tasked with developing a kiosk application at my job. I work at a National Memorial where a US Civil War battle took place. Most of the content is going to be information about the fort as well as the gunboats and the Union and Confederate forces. There will also be 3 quizzes each with easy, medium, and hard difficulties. We have plans to add lots of records such as rosters for each regiment/company that was here.

As of now, I'm just doing this with PowerPoint and VBA. But I'm having problems with the my macros for my quizzes. Each morning, I have to re-start each quiz and select to enable the macros. Then, each quiz will only work once. If you try to take the quizzes again, my "correct answer" popup will run, but it will not advance to the next question.

I'm pretty sure that PowerPoint may not be the best choice for this undertaking but I'm not sure what would be. I'm pretty familiar with Visual Studio and ok with C# or VB. But I have absolutely zero experience with kiosk app development. I've done some searching on Google but all I can find is contractors who develop kiosks and that is out of the question. Also, this must be a stand-alone system. Uncle Same wants zero network connection.

What do?

If it can mean anything to anybody at any time, it means nothing.

Nobody?

write a little VB / C# program? it shouldn't be too hard

or you can share here your VBA code for the current powerpoint presentation, maybe we can fix it

I agree with what Ciccioo said.  An c# or VB program will be pretty easy to make (although admittedly powerpoint can be very easy to make things look pretty).  If you chose PP for it's fullscreen mode though, then VB or C# should be good as well (You can change forms to full screen apparently by setting FormBorderStyle to none and setting WindowState to maximized, although I haven't tested this).

Anyways in the event that you can't post any of the VBA code (if your employer wouldn't allow that), then these would be my guesses to what is wrong, or ways to figure out what is going wrong.

Well from what you have said already, I am going to guess that one (or more) of your variables must not be reset properly....and similar problem, but less likely I think to be causing the problem is are you sure you reset the quiz page properly (I am assuming you use radio buttons or something of that sort)?

To figure out where it is going though *if you can't post here to help find the problem* then try putting tons of alerts in it, so you can see where exactly it stops running/doesn't switch.  Maybe there is some variable that on the second run gets named funny like gotoSlide "ndnd" where it is really should be nd

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

My code is very simple.  It's been a while since I coded it, but I don't think I used any variables. I just had one slide per question and each answer was named "wrongAnswer" or "rightAnswer" and I used an if statement. I'll have to look at it to be sure though.

Lol, I've never heard of anyone using Powerpoint for something like that.

Anyways, if time allows I would suggest using Qt Quick. It makes creating smooth UIs and stuff extremely easy, even on low powered devices.