A general list of questions about CPU overclocking, temps, etc.

So I want to attempt to overclock my i7-3770k.  I have an ASrock Extreme 6 board, and I was wondering if this was suitable for overclocking.  How do I overclock a CPU, what is the safest way to do this, and, also, what the hell is TJ Max, and how do you know if it is set correctly?

Also, I'm aware that these are ridiculously noobish questions, which I apologize for.

:D this is literally all I know when it comes to overclocking haha :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

In my opinion the best way to overclock your CPU is to go into your motherboards BIOS and adjust your CPU multiplier and Voltage settings:) 

TJ max is the maximum temp your chip can possibly run at, best to avoid it.

Follow Linus's guide on Ivy Bridge overclocking and you should be good to go:)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Actually this one is a more extensive tutorial.

To overclock a 3770k, to my understanding all you need to OC this processor you need a Z77 motherboard which you have!  :D

Edit: Linus' video is also just fine, this one's just more of an "in depth".

Edited by MathijsZ77

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

Yes, z77 is the flagship motherboard for the ivy chipset. What cooler are you using for the cpu?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The extreme6 is alright, you should be fine.

Safest way is to pick a max core temp, like 75-90c and stay below that while stress testing.

You know if you set it correctly by confirming with cpu-z and/or aida64.

Theres so many written guides too. Read them all.

Yes, z77 is the flagship motherboard for the ivy chipset. What cooler are you using for the cpu?

Oops, forgot to mention that.  I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

I did a stress test using Realtemp's sensor test (10 min full load test) and Prime 95, and it reached a maximum of 62 degrees Celcius.

The extreme6 is alright, you should be fine.

Safest way is to pick a max core temp, like 75-90c and stay below that while stress testing.

You know if you set it correctly by confirming with cpu-z and/or aida64.

Theres so many written guides too. Read them all.

Also, how long should I stress test? I've hear 24-48 hours, which seems a little ridiculous.  If this is the case, can you still use the computer during this time?  Can you play games?

If you stress with prime for 48 hours, you're only proving you're stable in prime for 48 hours.

Stress with a couple of tests like IBT, Prime95 and aida64. But also remember to test with the programs you're actually using.

If you stress with prime for 48 hours, you're only proving you're stable in prime for 48 hours.

Stress with a couple of tests like IBT, Prime95 and aida64. But also remember to test with the programs you're actually using.

Thanks for the help, but one last thing.  How can I tell if my CPU is unstable/overclocked too far?

If your temps are too high you could be too far.

You'll know if you're unstable because you'll start noticing problems with programs crashing or bsods.

BSODs are not bad. They're good for finding out how or why you crashed. You can just google the numbers you saw and find out what it means. Like we all know 0x101means more Vcore.

Here's the bsod codes...

BSOD Codes for IvyBridge
0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT... have to test to see which one it is
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0x3D = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary, can also be unstable Ram, raise Ram voltage
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)
0x7E = Corrupted OS file, possibly from overclocking. Run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

Something like a 4.4-4.5 ghz overclock should be fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Something like a 4.4-4.5 ghz overclock should be fine.

Is there any danger I should be concerned about before starting?

Not really... Just keep your temps down do your research and you have nothing to worry about.

So I want to attempt to overclock my i7-3770k.  I have an ASrock Extreme 6 board, and I was wondering if this was suitable for overclocking.  How do I overclock a CPU, what is the safest way to do this, and, also, what the hell is TJ Max, and how do you know if it is set correctly?

Also, I'm aware that these are ridiculously noobish questions, which I apologize for.

This is another one of my favorite guides.

Not really... Just keep your temps down do your research and you have nothing to worry about.

Is the best way to do it is to continuously bump up voltage, multiplier, etc.  test it for a bit ~1 hour, and then when you find a peak point that's safe, test it for a day?

Pretty much. You don't have to spend an hour between multi bumps. 15 mins is more than long enough.

Is there any danger I should be concerned about before starting?

For a quick and dirty overclock, try seeing the core voltage to 1.4 and the multiplier to 44 for an easy 4.4ghz oc. Try some benchmarking to test your stability and your temps.

If it all works out, lower your voltage incrementally. (About 2 notches) and keep testing. When it start to become unstable, raise the voltage by 2 notches and you have yourself an overclocked and stable system.

For a quick and dirty overclock, try seeing the core voltage to 1.4 and the multiplier to 44 for an easy 4.4ghz oc. Try some benchmarking to test your stability and your temps.

If it all works out, lower your voltage incrementally. (About 2 notches) and keep testing. When it start to become unstable, raise the voltage by 2 notches and you have yourself an overclocked and stable system.

Vcore to 1.4? nooo. You'll overheat unless you delid and are under water.. Or at least a big air cooler.

For 4.4 I haven't seen anyone need more than 1.25.

Vcore to 1.4? nooo. You'll overheat unless you delid and are under water.. Or at least a big air cooler.

For 4.4 I haven't seen anyone need more than 1.25.

I just tried going into the BIOS, and following the longer guide posted here.  Unfortunately, almost all of the buttons are labeled differently, with different selection options, so I have no idea if I'm doing it correctly, and I'm worried that I'm just going to mess everything up.

I just tried going into the BIOS, and following the longer guide posted here.  Unfortunately, almost all of the buttons are labeled differently, with different selection options, so I have no idea if I'm doing it correctly, and I'm worried that I'm just going to mess everything up.

Can you get a picture of your bios uploaded so we can see what kind of situation you have?