Are DVD Backup's illegal ?

Hey Guys !

I do have some topics I am confused about, so if someone would take the time to reach out and help me in this matter, I would be grateful.

So this is the Situation :

I had bought the Microsoft Flight Simulator X for around sixty euros back in 2011, however I have upgraded my PC to a newer one without an optical DVD drive. As you may have realized by now, the installation medium isn't via download, but is by DVD, since I have a valid licence (which I am not going to post here!) I would like to still use the Flight SimX. 

So I thought i might just copy the two DVD's iso and install FSX normally via mounting the image with Deamon tools lite.

Here is the problem : Is it illegal to copy a copy-protected DVD, even though I have a valid license ?

If it is not, what programm would you use to copy a copy-portected DVD; what does copy-protected mean exactly ?

Seems like it... 

Basically, 'you own this, but you can't do what you want with it!'

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I don't know how the game is activated in this case, but if it's based on a online-activated license system, the DVDs often aren't copy-protected.

For the general question if you are allowed to bypass copy-protection: That heavily depends on your location.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

It seems like if you own the CD, it's fine to rip it as long as you don't distribute it 

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Is it illegal. Maybe.

Will you be prosecuted for personal use/backup? Extremely unlikely.

No it's not illegal, not until you start distributing.

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

You are permitted to make a copy for your own personal use, no distributing though.

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

u'll be fine... I wouldnt care if its illegal or not

So what if it is illegal. Why do you give a damn about a stupid law? Just copy it and be done with it. Simples.

It really depends on country. Here its legal to make backups and rips for personal use. But any distribution, selling and buying/downloading such stuff is illegal.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It really depends on country. Here its legal to make backups and rips for personal use. But any distribution, selling and buying/downloading such stuff is illegal.

same where I live, it's only illegal if you plan on selling it or releasing it via torrent and whatnot.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i don't think so, o have both CRYSIS 3 and Battlefield 3 setups backed up on DVDs so that i don't download them all over again, so i just lunch the Game download on origin since it's already redeemed and the and pass the already downloaded files from the DVD to the download folder and the download is done .

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Question is do you want a backup or not?

Technically it's illegal in the terms,  but they do allow one time backup for personal use , (updated/modified copyright rule)

Either way ,you need jump out from the virtual box (virtual prison) .

Details separate people.

depends on where you live. for the most part, as long as you own a legal liscense you are fully allowed to make a digital backup as long as you dont intend to distribute it.

however

i do believe its "technically" illegal to copy a dvd that has built in copywrite protection regardless of ownership.

this is when i start pirating

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

It's the dreaded "grey area". As far as I know, you're allowed to make a backup for your own personal use as you own a license and not the actually media. So as long as you don't distribute it or anything like that you're in the clear.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Long story short, backing up DVD's is illegal. Once you use a piece of software and start ripping the content on a disk, you've just legally breached DRM. The question isn't whether if it's illegal or not (because it is), it's whether or not will you ever be caught doing it. In which cases more than likely not as long as you're not selling bootleg movies or music discs.

its not illegal, all you are doing is backing something for personal use

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Thanks to you people for giving these informative responses, however, if you are still interested, which programm should I use to copy the discs content.