Noob at Civilization 5, Need help :D

Sena

Hey guys! So recently I've started to play Sid Meigers' Civilization 5, it's a great game so far but I'm still new to it. I know the basics and everything but I'm a bit confused on strategy. I'm currently in a game right now and Askia and Ramesses II started to team up on me because I never wanted to work with them (Assholes...) For starters, does it matter who I should work with? What should I focus on doing in the beginning so I can get a lead later on. This game is basically over since Washington and Queen Elizabeth are slow as hell to fight these guys with me. I don't even know what I'm doing now haha but I still find the game really fun! I look forward to hearing your responses!

-Sena

I'll be completely honest, unless a patch has come along to change it, the AI in Civ 5 is kind of broken. The AI doesn't reflect the person's historical attitude at all. For example, one of the most warmongering people is Ghandi most of the time. There are exceptions of course, but that's generally what people have seen.

Basically, the only strategy is never betray anyone. If you do, you'll never get back on their good side. You make a promise, you keep it. That's why I never make promises I might not want to keep in the game. 

The only thing you can really count on is what you plan to do. Never trust an AI to do something smart. It's not smart. Most decisions they make appear to be the equivalent of random dice rolls.

Here's an example of what I mean.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You don't really need to win with conquest ~ or maybe that was only CIV IV

I'll be completely honest, unless a patch has come along to change it, the AI in Civ 5 is kind of broken. The AI doesn't reflect the person's historical attitude at all. For example, one of the most warmongering people is Ghandi most of the time. 

Basically, the only strategy is never betray anyone. If you do, you'll never get back on their good side. You make a promise, you keep it. That's why I never make promises I might not want to keep in the game. 

I find that hilarious, I've never settled near Ghandi so I never had any issues with him, yet... Seems legitimate, I was hoping to hear more about how to get in the lead and stay in the lead but thanks for the tip!

I'll be completely honest, unless a patch has come along to change it, the AI in Civ 5 is kind of broken. The AI doesn't reflect the person's historical attitude at all. For example, one of the most warmongering people is Ghandi most of the time. There are exceptions of course, but that's generally what people have seen.

Gandhi's nuke everyone policy came from a bug in one of the previous games and was kept as a joke. Some say it might fit since nuclear deterrence is in theory a pseudo-peace solution since it relies on human morals and whether or not someone could bear killing millions or billions of people. Yeah, not the great of a solution if a psychopath was the one in charge.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I find that hilarious, I've never settled near Ghandi so I never had any issues with him, yet... Seems legitimate, I was hoping to hear more about how to get in the lead and stay in the lead but thanks for the tip!

Well, I have it with all the DLC. I played a Marathon game (I hit 2000+ turns IIRC) and observed exactly what I've heard. The AI is dumb. It has no real tactical idea of how to play the game, and you can't count on it for anything but randomness. 

What I did was simple though: Choose Babylonian's, maximize technology, and rock on. This is only a viable strategy for longer turn based games because the more turns, the more resources, and thereby, the larger advantage you have. I won by technological (and every other kind of) victory by the time Napoleon started making the first non-Babylonian air planes in existence.

Needless to say, I pwned. First one to the Nukes wins effectively. I purely built for efficiency (anything to allow me to have more workers, more land, more buildings, etc. with minimal turn input). This also let me get almost all of the wonders (another major boost), and discover some Natural ones quickly.

Even with a civilization that doesn't specialize in technology, I would maximize technology. It improves everything, although it takes major time investment to be worth while.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.