Watercooling, Do you Turn your machine off when you leave for work?

Question says it all, setting up a poll. I'm starting a watercooled system, and for my own piece of mind going with redundant pumps. I am curious as to what the rest of the community does.

Thanks for the response everyone!

I have one pump and never turn off my computer, unless I'm traveling for more than 5 days. 

One pump failed on me at around 2 am, causing alarm on my fan controller to go berserk, but none of the components were damaged.  

Don't see this as a big issue, since you can set in BIOS max temp after which your PC will shutdown.

My loops have redundant pumps so I'm not really worried. I haven't experienced a pump failing on me yet. I also have flow meters on my loops connected to my motherboard header. I set it up so it'll power off if the flow rate gets too low.

Laing pumps have 50,000 hours MTBF. This means the pump can run for 5.7 years until an average pump would fail.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Laing pumps have 50,000 hours MTBF. This means the pump can run for 5.7 years until an average pump would fail.

I wonder if someone would really try to run it that long 24/7.

I wonder if someone would really try to run it that long 24/7.

Well Laing obviously did. That's how they got the number,

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Well Laing obviously did. That's how they got the number,

I meant if anyone that actually bought it would try. I'd be amazed if they did.

I too have multiple redundant pumps so im not worried about my pumps failing but I still turn my computer off just because there's not much of a point not to. I dont mind waiting 15 seconds form my computer to start up.

My D5 is currently dying after 1 year (4 months of which at 24/7), so i've been unlucky. I'm getting another but my system won't be on 24/7 anymore. My folding rig/ home server will be getting an old H80 for 24/7 use (until it dies) and i'll buy it a cheap air cooler.

My D5 is currently dying after 1 year (4 months of which at 24/7), so i've been unlucky. I'm getting another but my system won't be on 24/7 anymore. My folding rig/ home server will be getting an old H80 for 24/7 use (until it dies) and i'll buy it a cheap air cooler.

How can you tell your pump is dying? 

Very interesting thread, i have an H80 and sometimes im afraid to leave it on when im not home cause if that starts leaking then... you wont see me in the forums for sometime lol. however for the pump i've set max temp of cpu and i use coretemp which i also set to shut down if the temps exceed 60C ( 62C is the tmax safe temp for a 1090T )

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

How can you tell your pump is dying? 

Bearing/impeller is going, it'll make a loud whirring sound unless propped up at a certain angle lol.

A question to people worrying in this thread is what difference will it make if you are there when your pump stops. Its not like your reaction time is fast enough to jump down and hit the power button unless you have a temperature monitoring program open. The first sign that your pump is dead will be the smell of burning plastic or the CPU will shut itself down automatically to prevent damage,

I remember once, I had forgotten to plug my pump back in when I was doing some maintenance. It was left like that for 3 hours ( I was only doing web surfing ) and the temp for my 2600k was only 75 degrees on idle which I was thinking hmmmm, OH EEEEF THE PUMP ISN'T ON! hahahah.

note to self; always make sure pump is plugged back in :lol:  

I once forgot to plug in my pump and had my 2700k running at 98c idle (1.38 vcore 4.8ghz no speedstep). Windows started stuttering badly, now that induced a small panic. Probably knocked a few years off it's lifespan LOL.