Will the 8 cores at 4.0 GHz on the AMD 8350 dominate the 4 cores at 3.4 GHz on the i5 4670K?

i5 is definitely what you would want for 1080p :)

Lack of details for what it's going to be used as usual..

1080p gaming and recording

Does that mean go for the i5?

it means that the i5 is better for most/all daily tasks, but is more expensive, it has nothing to do with the amount of cores or the clock speed. a con of the i5 is that its more expensive

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Does that mean go for the i5?

Yes, generally.

The i5 NORMALLY (there are like 2 games that differ from the rule) runs faster, and is a better overclocker.

Also, if you play any MMO's, the AMD CPU's end up falling short when presented with lots of people all doing lots of things.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I5

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

thats not even a comparison

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Okay lets get some details going, shall we?

Lets compare the two CPUs;

Fx 8350 is AMDs HEDT CPU. It feature 4 CMT cores. CMT is an core technology, which essentially duplicated integer and memory pipelines in an core. This is what AMD calls an "module".

The two cores in the module share some things. They share the entire frontend (SR added additional decoders) and the SIMD. This means if one of the cores in a module is under heavy workload, the second core in the same module will be limited.

Also some issue also stand when an single core in a module is using both the FMAC or MMX SIMD.

The core I5 4670k is Intels newest generation overclockable core I5 CPU.

An haswell core feature the same amount of ALUs (integer pipelines) as an CMT core, but isn't in need of sharing them between 2 cores.

An haswell core is essientially even with piledriver on integer workload and ahead in SIMD workload.

For gaming, you will mostlikely be best suited with an core i5 as they are and still will rely on a stronger core architecture.

In modern games that use multi-threads like BF4, crysis 3 and now watch dogs they game at the same level, further optimisation will most likely manage to get the FX 8 core on top, both the FX and the i5 can be overclocked, they remain on the same level after OCing, save yourself the money and get an FX 8 core you won't be disapointed, here (keep in mind that the new haswell i5 is 6% better than ivy bridge) :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/watch-dogs-pc-performance,3833-8.html

CPU-FR.png

If you play a lot of old-tech single-threaded games and MMO's or indi games, the i5 perform better for such tasks so pick an i5, otherwise if youre into modern games (FPS, racing, action games, sports games, simulation games, tomb raider, hitman, max payne, crysis, battlefield, etc...) you won't notice ANY difference between the two of them and you will be GPU bound in all those games anyway.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Which is better for 1080p gaming with a gtx 780?

To get better all around performance, go with an i5.  It pairs much better with a 780, and you wont ever have to worry about if a game will run poorly or not like with an FX. 

You said you have a budget of 1,300 pounds.  With that kind of budget, you should be going with Intel.

FX is an old architecture, while the Intel i5 is much newer.  If you can stand to wait a few months, even newer technology is about to be released that is supposed to be marginally better than the current i5s.

Go with Intel.  You have the budget.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

this user set me to ignore so he can't see that i just proved him wrong with my post.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

this user set me to ignore so he can't see that i just proved him wrong with my post.

What?

What?

now he knows..he is right though some games does run better on intel strong cores, do you play any MMO's or indi games?

now he knows..he is right though some games does run better on intel strong cores, do you play any MMO's or indi games?

Yes I play lots on MMO and indi games

I doubt we will see the fx 8350 beating an haswell core I5 even in the future.

Haswell should be able to provide an "smoother" FPS than piledriver.

It is BS saying you cannot tell the difference as some can and some can't.

CPU_01.png

By having some logic, you would see that the core I5 4670k is even with the core i7-4960x in terms of FPS. What does this mean? This mean you gain nothing over having a better CPU, means that the CPU isn't the limiting factor. If you see the fx 8350, which are only 3 FPS lower, just means it limiting it more

then go with intel, the strong cores provide more acceptable performance in games like ESO or guild wars 2 or planet side 2 that require tremendous amounts of data to be processed on a single core during large raids and stuff like that...intel run them at 30FPS and AMD FX at 22 FPS...

Then get Intel.  End of discussion.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I doubt we will see the fx 8350 beating an haswell core I5 even in the future.

Haswell should be able to provide an "smoother" FPS than piledriver.

It is BS saying you cannot tell the difference as some can and some can't.

CPU_01.png

By having some logic, you would see that the core I5 4670k is even with the core i7-4960x in terms of FPS. What does this mean? This mean you gain nothing over having a better CPU, means that the CPU isn't the limiting factor. If you see the fx 8350, which are only 3 FPS lower, just means it limiting it more

this benchmark as been proven to be untrue already, just look at the EPIC framerates in there, no config as of today can run this game that well not even a core i7-4960K overclocked at 5GHZ paired with titan's black SLI...82FPS on ultra is solely EPIC and can't be achieved by any current technology...the tom's hardware bench is correct though.

Most MMOs arent very well optimized for 8 Cores, so a i5 will suit you fine.