Will the 8 cores at 4.0 GHz on the AMD 8350 dominate the 4 cores at 3.4 GHz on the i5 4670K?

Most MMOs arent very well optimized for 8 Cores, so a i5 will suit you fine.

yeah that is the conclusion we all came to in the end. ^_^

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

yeah that is the conclusion we all came to in the end. ^_^

Sorry, was too lazy to read through all the comments. Only read that he wanted to play MMOs, so yeah...

Yes I play lots on MMO and indi games

Then yes the i5 if you didnt then the 8350 is fine. But the i5 has great single thread performance wich is what MMO's and most indes use.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Then yes the i5 if you didnt then the 8350 is fine. But the i5 has great single thread performance wich is what MMO's and most indes use.

If he plays mostly mmo's and indi games (are they lightthreaded as well?) the i3 is even a better choice than the 8350.

Anyways at op it's either the i3 or 4670k, might sound weird but it makes perfectly sense because the difference between a i3 & i5 is almost zero and the unlocked multiplier makes more sense than a locked i5 would do over the i3 to raise the single core performance up.

Okay lets get some details going, shall we?

Lets compare the two CPUs;

Fx 8350 is AMDs HEDT CPU. It feature 4 CMT cores. CMT is an core technology, which essentially duplicated integer and memory pipelines in an core. This is what AMD calls an "module".

The two cores in the module share some things. They share the entire frontend (SR added additional decoders) and the SIMD. This means if one of the cores in a module is under heavy workload, the second core in the same module will be limited.

Also some issue also stand when an single core in a module is using both the FMAC or MMX SIMD.

The core I5 4670k is Intels newest generation overclockable core I5 CPU.

An haswell core feature the same amount of ALUs (integer pipelines) as an CMT core, but isn't in need of sharing them between 2 cores.

An haswell core is essientially even with piledriver on integer workload and ahead in SIMD workload.

For gaming, you will mostlikely be best suited with an core i5 as they are and still will rely on a stronger core architecture.

This is the best answer...

The single core performance of an i5 is better and the fx8350 doesnt have 8 full blown cores, it has 4 modules with 2 cores each. Those cores share some hardware.

And please stop thinking its all about clockspeed. Clockspeed doesnt mean ANYTHING.

It's all about IPC (Instructions Per Clock), which is different for every architecture.

Yes an fx8350 can be faster if a program can use all those 8 cores (some things just cant be distributed into seperate tasks).

More and more programs/games are being optimized for the use of 8 cores, so which one is faster will completely depend on the game you're playing.

Just look at the games you play and decide which one you want, and pls stop comparing core clocks they alone dont mean anything.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

This is the best answer...

The single core performance of an i5 is better and the fx8350 doesnt have 8 full blown cores, it has 4 modules with 2 cores each. Those cores share some hardware.

And please stop thinking its all about clockspeed. Clockspeed doesnt mean ANYTHING.

It's all about IPC (Instructions Per Clock), which is different for every architecture.

Yes an fx8350 can be faster if a program can use all those 8 cores (some things just cant be distributed into seperate tasks).

More and more programs/games are being optimized for the use of 8 cores, so which one is faster will completely depend on the game you're playing.

Just look at the games you play and decide which one you want, and pls stop comparing core clocks they alone dont mean anything.

wow...i just learned so much! :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR