I need some inspiration

Wtalk2

Hey LTT,

For the last year or so I have been very interested in learning to code (Preferably in Java because I kind of know the syntax but it doesn't really matter to me what I learn) but whenever I get my sh*t together and try to start learning I get bored and don't really see a point or a purpose in doing this.

So really what I am asking is for you guys to give me some reasons on why I should learn to code and what language I should start in and how I can keep myself interested.

Thanks,

James

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

thought this would be a soppy post about being depressed from the title :P

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

if you are well versed in Java, it's easier to learn other languages that are similar such as C

if you are well versed in Java, it's easier to learn other languages that are similar such as C

I am nowhere near well versed :P Sorry if I made it seem that way. I just tried learning it a while ago and didn't get very far but I kinda got the basic syntax.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

I am nowhere near well versed :P Sorry if I made it seem that way. I just tried learning it a while ago and didn't get very far but I kinda got the basic syntax.

I'm saying if you actually learn it, it's pretty easy to learn other objective oriented languages.

I'm saying if you actually learn it, it's pretty easy to learn other objective oriented languages.

Oh ok, I see.

My Current Build: 

I actually find its easier to learn and code something, when it's something that I have an active interest in.

Think of an application that you'd like to have that would help simplify an everyday task you do.

For me I wrote a file-renamer and mover. I'm constantly moving files from one drive to my RAID for storage. So i designed an app that would display media files in one pane, with a move/copy button, and the corresponding location on the right pane. Then I threw in some bulk renaming and other misc items, and I created a nice media suite app...sort of.

The assignments I get in school are interesting, but become monotonous pretty quick. Most of the time I could figure out in my head what would be the best plan of attack, and the rest was just busy work and debugging. That get's old fast. When you design something yourself, you kind of have a general idea, but it isn't until you dive in head first that you start figuring out what to do.

hopefully that makes since