UPGRADING From a 5800X

I do video editing- right now, I have a 5800x, but l've been wanting to upgrade it to something like a 5950x. l've been looking online for the performance difference on After Effects but can't find a straight forward answer.

The 5950x is £360 on Overclockers right now.

Is it worth the "upgrade" to improve preview and render times?

12 minutes ago, XinMB said:

Is it worth the "upgrade" to improve preview and render times?

It depends; is the time you save rendering worth money to you (IE, is this for a business?)

If this is just a hobby or a side hustle, you'll probably never see a return on investment outside of personal satisfaction.

If you want specific numbers, here's a benchmark where the 5800x and 5950x are featured pretty prominently through the writeups.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/after-effects-multi-frame-rendering-processor-performance-analysis-2217/

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

From what I can read on Puget's articles, it looks pretty complicated to assess and depends entirely on the version of After Effects, what features you're using and the complexity of your projects themselves.

It says that older versions were only lightly threaded and the difference between them in their original article was only 8%.

In their later article, they say that MFR has enabled better support for multicore CPUs, but that the usefulness of the CPU has dropped with the integration of GPU rendering.

What I'd suggest is have a really good look at your utilisation in task manager whenever you're waiting for something to complete and look at the bottleneck(s). If your GPU is at 100% and the CPU utilisation low, then you have your answer. Alternatively, if your CPU is boosting only on one or two cores while those features are running, it is unlikely the 5950X will help much. What you want to see is big CPU utilisation, across all your cores.

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

It depends; is the time you save rendering worth money to you (IE, is this for a business?)

If this is just a hobby or a side hustle, you'll probably never see a return on investment outside of personal satisfaction.

If you want specific numbers, here's a benchmark where the 5800x and 5950x are featured pretty prominently through the writeups.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/after-effects-multi-frame-rendering-processor-performance-analysis-2217/

I currently do this as a hobby, but I have been paid for a few projects. I’m about to do a college course in media, so at some point it would turn into an actual job.

What I mostly edit are GMVs and visualisers, so I have an emulator open every time to get angles. My CPU is always at 100% when I do that, so my emulator is slightly lagging.

6 minutes ago, Tetras said:

From what I can read on Puget's articles, it looks pretty complicated to assess and depends entirely on the version of After Effects, what features you're using and the complexity of your projects themselves.

It says that older versions were only lightly threaded and the difference between them in their original article was only 8%.

In their later article, they say that MFR has enabled better support for multicore CPUs, but that the usefulness of the CPU has dropped with the integration of GPU rendering.

What I'd suggest is have a really good look at your utilisation in task manager whenever you're waiting for something to complete and look at the bottleneck(s). If your GPU is at 100% and the CPU utilisation low, then you have your answer. Alternatively, if your CPU is boosting only on one or two cores while those features are running, it is unlikely the 5950X will help much. What you want to see is big CPU utilisation, across all your cores.

I use After Effects 2020. Some of my projects are intense; I usually have footage that is 1080p at 60fps, but sometimes I’ll have 4K 24 - 60 fps footage. I use a lot of different fx, some light fx and others very intense. If you have a chance, please take a look at the comment I had replied to just now, mentioning what I do that makes my CPU usage so high. I appreciate your comment!

12 minutes ago, XinMB said:

I currently do this as a hobby, but I have been paid for a few projects. I’m about to do a college course in media, so at some point it would turn into an actual job.

What I mostly edit are GMVs and visualisers, so I have an emulator open every time to get angles. My CPU is always at 100% when I do that, so my emulator is slightly lagging.

save the money, keep it, and perhaps later build a whole entire faster machine on new platform,

instead of paying hundreds for a CPU that nets you only a small boost in performance.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

It would make very little sense to move from one 3y/o CPU to another 3y/o CPU that's using the exact same cores, even if there are a few more of them. At the end of July, there will have been two releases since Ryzen 5000 and if you really want a worthwhile jump in performance, grabbing a Ryzen 7000 for cheap when 9000 launches makes more sense. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q