Radeon 7970 or Nvidia

Hey guys, so I am relatively new to building a pc, Im looking at the Radeon 7970 3GB or should I look into something by Nvidia or what even is the equivalent? Perhaps I should wait for the 700 series? price isn't an issue so I'm simply looking for power consumption vs. heat vs. overclocking ability. Thanks :)

Case-Corsair 250D, Mobo- Gigabyte Z97 Mini-itx, Cpu-i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz (ATM), Ram- HyperX Fury 1866 8GB, GPU-EVGA GTX 980 4GB, PSU- Corsair AX 760, CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i

Don't wait unless you want to overpay even more LOL. The 7970 GHZ is the best and fastest GPU for the money that you can get. Add in 3x free AAA games and you have no reason to look anyware else.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

i would do what linus says, 7950 is the way to go, otherwise if you really want max performance 7990 or titan because of the micro stutering issue

200th post ftw :D

Edited by bennyino

Definitely the 7970.  To my knowledge there haven't been any confirmed release dates for the new generation cards so it's probably not the best idea to wait.  The 7970 has excellent performance and for a great price.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

post hidden by administrators

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

So at this point the general consensus is the 7970 but I will definetly atleast look into the 680 and benchmarks. Thanks, these really help a lot :)

Case-Corsair 250D, Mobo- Gigabyte Z97 Mini-itx, Cpu-i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz (ATM), Ram- HyperX Fury 1866 8GB, GPU-EVGA GTX 980 4GB, PSU- Corsair AX 760, CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i

GTX 680, or wait for the 700 series, unless AMD gets their driver situation fixed, then go for the 7970.

There is no "driver situation" you've been biased against AMD in several posts now.

I don't care what your personal preference is, but don't force bad advice onto other people.

To the OP, I would also recommend the 7970, currently it's the fastest single graphics card under Titan by a long shot, coupled with 3GB of VRAM & a 384bit interface gives it a huge advantage over the 680 in many games & especially with Anti Aliasing, higher resolutions or both.

I would recommend the HIS 7970 IceQ X2, the Sapphire Dual-X or the new MSI Twinfrozr III.

perf_oc.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7970_X_Turbo/31.html

Hey dude! The Radeon HD 7970 is a great card for gaming, however, it is not a great card for other 3d applications when compared to Nvidia. This is because Nvidia has a graphics API, CUDA (Compute Uniform Device Architecture) that has been integrated into applications like Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects. This API is further supported in 3d modeling applications like Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max. if you are going for gaming, I would recommend you get a 680, even if your going for gaming performance  as it beats the 7970 ghz edition in most benchmarks, as you can see with the link I am going to attach to this post of Titan benchmarks by Tom's hardware (I chose the Titan benchmarks because it was the quickest and most recent benchmarks of the 7970 ghz edition vs the 680 I could find). However. the 780 is said to release on May 23rd of 2013, this month, so i would recommend you wait for that. Also, AMD has up their sleeve a 9970 that they are said to release in Q4 2013 (around December 2013).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-performance-review,3442-3.html

I hope that helped!

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

It's really up to you with what brand you go with. If you go with Nvidia I would wait for the new 700 series, but if you go with Radeon you'll get a lot of free games. Completely up to you. 

Hey dude! The Radeon HD 7970 is a great card for gaming, however, it is not a great card for other 3d applications when compared to Nvidia. This is because Nvidia has a graphics API, CUDA (Compute Uniform Device Architecture) that has been integrated into applications like Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects. This API is further supported in 3d modeling applications like Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max.

When hearing something from someone, dont take it all onboard, get a 2nd or 3rd opinion and differentiate your own opinion from three different sources of info.

There is a CUDA and OpenCL thread on the forum, a good read for those looking into the GPU assist programs sure to be talked about.

Cuda support has been dropped recently and OpenCL has been picked up by Adobe and being used in their next release.

The two different API's are now program exclusive, and googling your card's CUDA/OPENCL app compatibility will tell you two things.

The programs that came out years ago, are still where its at, except a lot are not getting updated no more.

The few programs that use GPU assist for encoding are few and far between. However simpler things like Winrar, Firefox, Flash Applications and such are all GPU accelerated these days and provide great performance on both Nvidia and ATI, like stated, some perform better on certain solutions better, google again can help you.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

GTX 680, or wait for the 700 series, unless AMD gets their driver situation fixed, then go for the 7970.

You were the one that got repremanded by Linus himself yersraday for spreading BS lies about AMD Radeon HD. I suggest you stop spreading misinformation please.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

AMD drivers are fine. Its just people like you that spread rumors that give them the a bad name and quite frankly i'm fed up of it. keep your biased opinions to yourself and stop giving bad advice.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Hey dude! The Radeon HD 7970 is a great card for gaming, however, it is not a great card for other 3d applications when compared to Nvidia. This is because Nvidia has a graphics API, CUDA (Compute Uniform Device Architecture) that has been integrated into applications like Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects.

Adobe dropped Cuda support. Adobe will suppoort only OpenCL from now on.

AMD drivers are fine. Its just people like you that spread rumors that give them the a bad name and quite frankly i'm fed up of it. keep your biased opinions to yourself and stop giving bad advice.

That guy already got repremanded by linus yeasterday for the same BS if you remember I know I do.

That guy already got repremanded by linus yeasterday for the same BS if you remember I know I do.

Im glad that this kind of thing is taken seriously here. Its ok having an opinion on which cards you prefer but spreading lies is just wrong.

One of the great things about this forum is the fact that most of the users are open minded and respect others.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Im glad that this kind of thing is taken seriously here. Its ok having an opinion on which cards you prefer but spreading lies is just wrong.

One of the great things about this forum is the fact that most of the users are open minded and respect others.

Ya these forums seem to be good so far the best from my exsperience as here you are aloud to debate opinions as long as they are at leased not way out to lunch like user " Ryan Leech " whom is clearly just trolling his opinion with absolutly nothing to back himself up which is ok but the problem I see is that he is not even good for a debate.

When hearing something from someone, dont take it all onboard, get a 2nd or 3rd opinion and differentiate your own opinion from three different sources of info.

There is a CUDA and OpenCL thread on the forum, a good read for those looking into the GPU assist programs sure to be talked about.

Cuda support has been dropped recently and OpenCL has been picked up by Adobe and being used in their next release.

The two different API's are now program exclusive, and googling your card's CUDA/OPENCL app compatibility will tell you two things.

The programs that came out years ago, are still where its at, except a lot are not getting updated no more.

The few programs that use GPU assist for encoding are few and far between. However simpler things like Winrar, Firefox, Flash Applications and such are all GPU accelerated these days and provide great performance on both Nvidia and ATI, like stated, some perform better on certain solutions better, google again can help you.

Nope! It WILL be dropped. And not even that, the only rumors state that there will be OpenCL support in CS7, or the next iteration of the Creative Suite. For now, CUDA is supported in the Creative Suite meaning that nvidia cards has an edge over AMD cards. Also, there will not necessarily be a drop of CUDA support, they may be parallel to each other, depending on what GPU you are using. In addition, I know that Autodesk applications have support for CUDA.

Source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Adobe-AMD-Premiere-FirePro-OpenCL,21872.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/premiere-pro-cs6.html

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit