Trying to decide what Qualcomm X Elite laptop to put a preorder (Asus vivobook vs Samsung galaxy book)

I'm thinking about picking up one of the newly announced arm laptops. I'm trying to pick between the Asus vivobook s 15 oled ( S5507QAD-PS99) and the Samsung Galaxy Book4 Edge 14/ 16

The Asus seems to be the better deal overall. Double RAM, double SSD, similar screen quality, for a cheaper price. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy Book3 Pro 14, The laptop is great overall but I run out of the 16GB of Ram fast and the battery life is not great.

My main questions are:

How does the build quality and keyboard on the Vivobooks compare to the Galaxy books?

Is there anything about the two I'm missing to justify the price difference.

On a side note the free TV for the Samsung galaxy book means nothing to me.

4 minutes ago, thesnaglebeast said:

I'm thinking about picking up one of the newly announced arm laptops. I'm trying to pick between the Asus vivobook s 15 oled ( S5507QAD-PS99) and the Samsung Galaxy Book4 Edge 14/ 16

The Asus seems to be the better deal overall. Double RAM, double SSD, similar screen quality, for a cheaper price. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy Book3 Pro 14, The laptop is great overall but I run out of the 16GB of Ram fast and the battery life is not great.

My main questions are:

How does the build quality and keyboard on the Vivobooks compare to the Galaxy books?

Is there anything about the two I'm missing to justify the price difference.

On a side note the free TV for the Samsung galaxy book means nothing to me.

Why not wait until proper reviews come out and the judge based on actual hands on? Pre-ordering is a crapshoot. Doubly so when it is a brand new product line.

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Why not wait until proper reviews come out and the judge based on actual hands on? Pre-ordering is a crapshoot. Doubly so when it is a brand new product line.

I'll buy the Asus from Costco, which has a 90-day no-questions-asked return window. For the Samsung, I got gifted a Best Buy + membership that I can use for extended returns. It's not much skin off my back if I get it, and it's bad out of the box.

With ASUS coming under fire for all their RMA scummy stuff lately I find it hard to want to buy any of their products lately. That said, if you already have a Galaxy Book, I would assume you're already in the Samsung ecosystem so it might be the better choice? I know ASUS laptops generally have pretty good build quality, so if the two are equal pricing, I would say it's safe to assume that they're pretty similar in that regard. Really though, why pre-order? Like Blue4130 said, it's best to wait and see the reviews first.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W || NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler || MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard || CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) || SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 || SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 || Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive || MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G LHR || Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window || Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular || Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wireless Optical Mouse || Input Club K-Type w/ Ajazz Kiwi Switches

2 minutes ago, m1lk3y said:

With ASUS coming under fire for all their RMA scummy stuff lately I find it hard to want to buy any of their products lately. That said, if you already have a Galaxy Book, I would assume you're already in the Samsung ecosystem so it might be the better choice? I know ASUS laptops generally have pretty good build quality, so if the two are equal pricing, I would say it's safe to assume that they're pretty similar in that regard. Really though, why pre-order? Like Blue4130 said, it's best to wait and see the reviews first.

I buy from stores with great return policies and I like to judge things on my own if I can. I'm mostly asking for someone to justify the higher price on the Samsung. I like the fit and finish on the one I have and wouldn't mind sticking with them but cant find a reason to justify the price.

The problem with Samsung is the amount of crapware the infect the tablet with. I'm not familiar with what Asus does.

Samsung Book4 Edge does not use NVMe, it uses eUFS so speed TBD. Depending on where you live you may find trade in promos for the Book4 with student discounts and end up with a laptop that's half the MSRP. This is occurring here in Canada.

2 hours ago, thesnaglebeast said:

I buy from stores with great return policies and I like to judge things on my own if I can. I'm mostly asking for someone to justify the higher price on the Samsung. I like the fit and finish on the one I have and wouldn't mind sticking with them but cant find a reason to justify the price.

If you like to judge on your own, the only thing you can do is wait and put hands on both.

Doubly, if you like to judge on your own, why are you asking us?

21 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

If you like to judge on your own, the only thing you can do is wait and put hands on both.

Doubly, if you like to judge on your own, why are you asking us?

I don't have the resources to get both at once, so I want to go for the best candidate first. In my opinion it's not bad to get input from other people to check your thinking. It's easy to fall in to cognitive traps.

For example it looks like the vivobook is going to be a much better deal but I could have only been looking at the numbers and missed crucial details. I missed that the ssd types are different between the two. It's posted in plain sight but I missed it. It's not the biggest thing but if I didn't post here I might have never thought of it and then made a less informed opinion. 

45 minutes ago, thesnaglebeast said:

I don't have the resources to get both at once, so I want to go for the best candidate first. In my opinion it's not bad to get input from other people to check your thinking. It's easy to fall in to cognitive traps.

For example it looks like the vivobook is going to be a much better deal but I could have only been looking at the numbers and missed crucial details. I missed that the ssd types are different between the two. It's posted in plain sight but I missed it. It's not the biggest thing but if I didn't post here I might have never thought of it and then made a less informed opinion. 

Well that is the benefit of not pre-ordering. You don't need to buy both. Go to a place like bestbuy or other shop and test both first hand. You can see which you like more.

One other thing, since these are so new, they are untested. Qualcomm is not letting companies seed review samples. That is generally never a good sign. Especially on a product like this that relies on an emulation layer to run many apps. If you buy now, you are taking their word that they are as good as they say. PC world podcast had a good discussion about these specifically. Every host said the same thing. Don't pre-order.

But it is your choice.

10 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Well that is the benefit of not pre-ordering. You don't need to buy both. Go to a place like bestbuy or other shop and test both first hand. You can see which you like more.

One other thing, since these are so new, they are untested. Qualcomm is not letting companies seed review samples. That is generally never a good sign. Especially on a product like this that relies on an emulation layer to run many apps. If you buy now, you are taking their word that they are as good as they say. PC world podcast had a good discussion about these specifically. Every host said the same thing. Don't pre-order.

But it is your choice.

I didn't hear that about the review samples. Do you have a source? 

32 minutes ago, thesnaglebeast said:

I didn't hear that about the review samples. Do you have a source? 

Full Nerd Podcast on PC world.