New Tech Alert - Suitcase "Supercomputer"

Summary

Ultra small Supercomputer 

Quotes

Portable Supercomputer that comes as a suitcase with 4 GPU and 246 TB storage and a 2500w power supply.

My thoughts

So many applications for this small tech.

- Portable scientific hardware modeling system.

- Full portable medical equipment

- Life in a box

- Portable RAG AI platform for all of your needs (think Jarvis?)

I would love to see a video on this.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/supercomputers/portable-ai-supercomputer-comes-as-a-carry-on-suitcase-with-wheels

What is the definition of a supercomputer? Physically it is built for a task, but the compute side isn't special as far as I can tell. Basically it's a single socket EPYC CPU with 4 GPUs stuck on it assuming you want a big pool of storage too.

The L40S used seem to have the same core configuration as RTX 6000 Ada (few more than 4090), and L40S has slightly higher clocks at same rated power.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 5/12/2024 at 12:01 PM, MysticalAges said:

Summary

Ultra small Supercomputer 

Quotes

My thoughts

So many applications for this small tech.

- Portable scientific hardware modeling system.

- Life in a box

- Portable RAG AI platform for all of your needs (think Jarvis?)

I would love to see a video on this.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/supercomputers/portable-ai-supercomputer-comes-as-a-carry-on-suitcase-with-wheels

Thats some markting wank calling it a super computer. You can call any desktop PC today a super computer because its more powerful then a super computer 20 years ago. 

This is just a Server rack with dolly wheels attached to the bottom. Its explicitly a minicomputer. Not to say the density isn't cool, but calling it super strongly turns me off of it

It's literally just a relatively small rack server...

Citing the needs of Department of Defense customers, GigaIO CEO Alan Benjamin pointed out the need to collect and process data where it happened in the field.

Yeah, this is pretty much the only use case I can think of. In what other situation are you collecting terabytes of data while not having a high end system nearby, or reachable through the internet?

4 hours ago, MysticalAges said:

- Life in a box

What do you mean by this lmao

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This looks to be a solution for a traveling sales engineer to pitch a proof of concept (POC) AI application.

Alternatively, I could see this being used for military applications.

soon cloud supercomputer in every item you own, only that you dont own them, its all in the clouds *screams at the clouds*

but where is my amazing super computer?!?

-> Moved to General Discussion

For video suggestions, please use existing thread 

For this to be counted as Tech News, you need to add way more content. Expand both your personal thoughts and summary, with favorably longer quote from the article. 

Personal thought, this doesn't sound like supercomputer. So sad to see well-known site to water down these terms that used to have meaning.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 5/12/2024 at 9:32 PM, StDragon said:

This looks to be a solution for a traveling sales engineer to pitch a proof of concept (POC) AI application.

Alternatively, I could see this being used for military applications.

but for what? Like seriously, what military anything needs 4 gpus in a portable unit?

2 hours ago, BrandonLatzig said:

but for what? Like seriously, what military anything needs 4 gpus in a portable unit?

Tbh, we are seeing the development of AI shoot-to-kill automation and I can definitely see the need for compute in portability in they regard 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Tbh, we are seeing the development of AI shoot-to-kill automation and I can definitely see the need for compute in portability in they regard 

we have had that for a while now, look at CIWS systems

3 minutes ago, BrandonLatzig said:

we have had that for a while now, look at CIWS systems

I'm talking about deciding the difference between a civilian and a combatant in CAS, automated indirect fire and drone tanks/ground assault drones.

Takes much more compute than aiming at something if it is is traveling over x speed in x directly 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I'm talking about deciding the difference between a civilian and a combatant in CAS, automated indirect fire and drone tanks/ground assault drones.

Takes much more compute than aiming at something if it is is traveling over x speed in x directly 

I would doubt most militaries would even take that risk. If a jumpy soldier can make a mistake, what about an AI trained off of one?

Can it run Crysis?

Apprentice Software Developer

On 5/17/2024 at 6:10 AM, Blasty Blosty said:

Can it run Crysis?

depends on the os