About to spend probably too much money!

Hey everyone,

My goal for this build is for it be future proof for quite a long time and to be used for both, gaming, content creation & standard office tasks. 
The budget was 4 to 4.3 thousand  NZD however I've gone over that little mostly due to wanting it to look nice as well. Please give me your opinions, I know I need more fans but not sure which one to get. What would you change?

CPU: I've chosen an i7 14 series due to people recommending that over the 7800x3D for the core count which will apparently be useful when having multiple programs open plus games like flight sim at the same time and video editing.

CPU cooler: Honestly I know i can save hundreds here but I like a CPU cooler with a nice LED screen. If you know of alternatives that are cheaper let me know.

Motherboard: I don't know too much about motherboards honestly, seemed to have good reviews

SSD: Looks like the speeds are around the 990 Pro mark but at a cheaper price

GPU: I went with Gigabyte here mostly due to the extra year warranty

Case: Lots of room, lots of good reviews and it looks nice. Could probably save money going non RGB but then again I want it to be pretty.

PSU: I'm not sure about this, 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RpL4Wt

4.3 thousand???? and you went OVER the budget??????  USD????????

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M7Rqn6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 4.4 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($360.38 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool MYSTIQUE 72.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($189.07 @ Amazon) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($106.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card  ($999.99 @ ASUS) 
Case: NZXT H6 Flow RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2281.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-10 19:29 EDT-0400

PSU on point can go a little lower.

Mobo's ok

Not sure why you said $4k but ok can get it all so much lower then this.

Ram can go a little lower on speed.

SSD is great.

Cpu is great tho some will say use AMD .

Cooler looks fine tho ill leave that there.

Gpu & rest peeps can debate on that 1.

Looks ok but um can get much better bang for you buck. That will last a long time as you need this 2. Hope it all turns out well.

Ohh EDIT: chuck in a 8tb Hard drive in there as well whilest your at it so you got plenty of storage a Seagate is what i got 5400 rpm is fine for me you could get the 7600 rpm 1 but i don't think any 1 really needs those speeds in a hdd these days tho.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.300V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

4 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

content creation

Define content creation. Are we talking just compiling stream highlight clips or full on 4K+ video editing with After Effects? They have two very different performance requirements. 

5 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

CPU: I've chosen an i7 14 series due to people recommending that over the 7800x3D for the core count which will apparently be useful when having multiple programs open plus games like flight sim at the same time and video editing.

The only thing that extra core count will help with is video rendering, and realistically since you have a dGPU in the system you can put most of the rendering burden on the GPU rather than the CPU. The 7800X3D really does make much more sense in a system like this due to its lower power and significantly better gaming performance, especially in MSFS. 

7 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

SSD: Looks like the speeds are around the 990 Pro mark but at a cheaper price

Do you actually need 990 Pro speeds? Most people won't notice a difference between a SATA drive and a Gen 4 drive, let alone a Gen 3 drive and a Gen 4 drive. Save $50 and go with something a bit cheaper. 

Where are you located, where are you shopping, and what is the currency you're using? You said your budget is $4.3k and that you were over budget, yet the parts list you linked was only ~$2500. 

Just now, BentleyOwen123 said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M7Rqn6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 4.4 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($360.38 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool MYSTIQUE 72.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($189.07 @ Amazon) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($106.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card  ($999.99 @ ASUS) 
Case: NZXT H6 Flow RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2281.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-10 19:29 EDT-0400

New Zealand Dollars so the prices here are close. 

Looks like the PSU and Case fans you selected aren't available here. Can you elaborate on your choices for the Ryzen 9 over the 14700K and motherboard? 

2 minutes ago, loony979 said:

PSU on point can go a little lower.

Mobo's ok

Not sure why you said $4k but ok can get it all so much lower then this.

Ram can go a little lower on speed.

SSD is great.

Cpu is great tho some will say use AMD .

Cooler looks fine tho ill leave that there.

Gpu & rest peeps can debate on that 1.

Looks ok but um can get much better bang for you buck. That will last a long time as you need this 2. Hope it all turns out well.

Hey Loony, sorry should have specified this is in NZD, I've updated the post.

Is there a better bang for the buck on the motherboard? Yeah Bentleys recommended the Ryzen 9 above it. 

2 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Hey Loony, sorry should have specified this is in NZD, I've updated the post.

Is there a better bang for the buck on the motherboard? Yeah Bentleys recommended the Ryzen 9 above it. 

Well Mobo is now going to be depending on Cpu so do that choice 1st.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.300V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

the L3 cache in the 7900x3d makes it a way better gaming cpu, the aio is WAY cheaper and retains the screen, the motherboard is just a solid one, aorus is a good brand, the psu you had will work great, the one i chose was just cheaper, the case fans are nice, but choose any ones that are a good deal, i know the aio doesn't have rgb but if you pick up 2 5 packs of rgb fans you can add them if you want

-sorry i was going to add this to my original post but got sidetracked

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Define content creation. Are we talking just compiling stream highlight clips or full on 4K+ video editing with After Effects? They have two very different performance requirements. 

The only thing that extra core count will help with is video rendering, and realistically since you have a dGPU in the system you can put most of the rendering burden on the GPU rather than the CPU. The 7800X3D really does make much more sense in a system like this due to its lower power and significantly better gaming performance, especially in MSFS. 

Do you actually need 990 Pro speeds? Most people won't notice a difference between a SATA drive and a Gen 4 drive, let alone a Gen 3 drive and a Gen 4 drive. Save $50 and go with something a bit cheaper. 

Where are you located, where are you shopping, and what is the currency you're using? You said your budget is $4.3k and that you were over budget, yet the parts list you linked was only ~$2500. 

HD Video Editing, maybe a little blender work. I'm friends with the guys in NZA Simulations who have been encouraging me to start building airports for Flight Simulator too. I also want something that can crunch media via handbrake or tdarr because my separate NAS doesn't have the greatest storage size

Power here is expensive so the 7800X3D is tempting but it only having 8 cores is a drawback. Since I spend a lot of time on MSFS and that really requires programs to be open even if I'm not streaming (and playing on 4K), it uses a lot of processing power. Would the Ryzen 9 series be better?

I'm located in New Zealand. The NVME I probably don't need speed that high but maybe it would be a nice to have. 

there is a new zealand pcpp, and the 7900x3d is almost the same price in us, but big difference there

PCPartPicker Part List: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/PckbgB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($659.00 @ Computer Lounge) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool MYSTIQUE 72.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($260.82 @ PB Technologies) 
Motherboard: MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($306.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($219.00 @ Computer Lounge) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($325.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card  ($2099.00 @ PB Technologies) 
Case: NZXT H6 Flow RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($204.99 @ PB Technologies) 
Power Supply: Gigabyte UD850GM 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($171.43 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Total: $4245.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-11 11:43 NZST+1200

3 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

the L3 cache in the 7900x3d makes it a way better gaming cpu, the aio is WAY cheaper and retains the screen, the motherboard is just a solid one, aorus is a good brand, the psu you had will work great, the one i chose was just cheaper, the case fans are nice, but choose any ones that are a good deal, i know the aio doesn't have rgb but if you pick up 2 5 packs of rgb fans you can add them if you want

-sorry i was going to add this to my original post but got sidetracked

All good so with the 7900x3d having more cores, that'll be handle the load of MSFS which is generally very CPU bound on 4K with streaming and all the addon programs that come with mods yeah and blender work would be easy? 

Does the 7900x3d retain the power draw benefits the 7800x3D is known for? 

6 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

HD Video Editing, maybe a little blender work. I'm friends with the guys in NZA Simulations who have been encouraging me to start building airports for Flight Simulator too. I also want something that can crunch media via handbrake or tdarr because my separate NAS doesn't have the greatest storage size

Everything you described (with the exception of maybe the airports, I don't know that much about those) can be offloaded to the GPU and thus CPU performance is somewhat irrelevant. 

6 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

but it only having 8 cores is a drawback

It really isn't. 8 Cores is still plenty nowadays, and the 7800X3D still has very fast cores. 

Just now, Krisp-kiwi said:

Does the 7900x3d retain the power draw benefits the 7800x3D is known for? 

No. The 7900X3D will draw quite a bit more power than the 7800X3D. 

1 minute ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

All good so with the 7900x3d having more cores, that'll be handle the load of MSFS which is generally very CPU bound on 4K with streaming and all the addon programs that come with mods yeah and blender work would be easy? 

One thing to remember is that the 7900X3D only has the VCache on half its cores, so in games it generally ends up slower than the 7800X3D which has more of the gaming optimized cores. It makes sense in a handful of situations, but this is not one of them. 

23 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Everything you described (with the exception of maybe the airports, I don't know that much about those) can be offloaded to the GPU and thus CPU performance is somewhat irrelevant. 

It really isn't. 8 Cores is still plenty nowadays, and the 7800X3D still has very fast cores. 

No. The 7900X3D will draw quite a bit more power than the 7800X3D. 

One thing to remember is that the 7900X3D only has the VCache on half its cores, so in games it generally ends up slower than the 7800X3D which has more of the gaming optimized cores. It makes sense in a handful of situations, but this is not one of them. 

I guess I'm conflicted because everywhere I read states that the 7800X3D is purely for gaming and that it struggles with production tasks. 

No matter what you buy today is going to be obsolete in 2 - 3 years due to game development. So only get what you need to play today's games and save the money to upgrade in two years, it'll be much less expensive.

2 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

No matter what you buy today is going to be obsolete in 2 - 3 years due to game development. So only get what you need to play today's games and save the money to upgrade in two years, it'll be much less expensive.

True although what tends to happen in my case is I play my favourite games no matter the age. I'm still over here playing Halo and Skyrim with my 1070. It's just MSFS has started to show my PC up so time for an upgrade.

12 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

I guess I'm conflicting because everywhere I read states that the 7800X3D is purely for gaming and that it struggles with production tasks. 

"Struggles" is relative. In terms of video render time in a software encode, sure it will be a fair bit worse than a 7900X or 14700K, but a) you really shouldn't be doing software encoding since you have NVENC (this will outperform any CPU encode), and b) the stuff you said you're doing isn't really all that multi core intensive in general. MSFS is the hardest game of the bunch, but even that is fairly single threaded, where even a 5800X3D will outperfom a 14900K despite having much worse multi core performance. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

"Struggles" is relative. In terms of video render time in a software encode, sure it will be a fair bit worse than a 7900X or 14700K, but a) you really shouldn't be doing software encoding since you have NVENC (this will outperform any CPU encode), and b) the stuff you said you're doing isn't really all that multi core intensive in general. MSFS is the hardest game of the bunch, but even that is fairly single threaded, where even a 5800X3D will outperfom a 14900K despite having much worse multi core performance. 

Even with mods on top of that? with MSFS there's a lot of 3rd party addons that require their own programs such as flight traffic, tracking, effects etc and then since I want to play it in 4K (Because well it's pretty) and maybe some streaming with it or recording. Could it handle that? 

5 hours ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Even with mods on top of that? with MSFS there's a lot of 3rd party addons that require their own programs such as flight traffic, tracking, effects etc and then since I want to play it in 4K (Because well it's pretty) and maybe some streaming with it or recording. Could it handle that? 

Mods can be weird with how the perform with CPUs, though I'd be surprised if they didn't scale similarly to the base game. They also tend to be very single threaded, so having a ton of cores really doesn't help much with that. As for streaming/recording, that should be offloaded to the GPU and not affect the CPU. 

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Mods can be weird with how the perform with CPUs, though I'd be surprised if they didn't scale similarly to the base game. They also tend to be very single threaded, so having a ton of cores really doesn't help much with that. As for streaming/recording, that should be offloaded to the GPU and not affect the CPU. 

Yeah, its what makes benchmarks on msfs hard. Most people on youtube test from outside of the plane over a city and its like ... the hardest point is inside a modded plane like PMDGs 737 or the Fenix a320

Does anyone know if the sources for the 50 series coming out at the end of the year have any validity to them. I don't want to buy then just a few months later be missing out on performance for the same price.