The data connected part of the 2.5” ssd broke, any way to replace and fix?

Prices this part was broken.IMG_1526.thumb.jpeg.b5c7516def85f325ff0519ae8e0ec692.jpeg

I had the same happen and was able to use a pci adapter to attach drive to and then use in the computer. I immediately replaced and cloned the drive. I intended it to be temporary but used it for a few years

Sometimes you can bend the pins a little and then jam them into a SATA cable. If you still have the little broken-off piece, that would help.

Any "fix" like that should be considered a temporary data recovery measure though, not a "repair" so you can continue to use the drive normally. There's nothing keeping the pins in position anymore. The only 100% reliable, permanent fix is to solder a new connector on.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

Sometimes you can bend the pins a little and then jam them into a SATA cable. If you still have the little broken-off piece, that would help.

Any "fix" like that should be considered a temporary data recovery measure though, not a "repair" so you can continue to use the drive normally. There's nothing keeping the pins in position anymore.

Yeah, that's my intention, back it up when i can and e-waste it.

@uncanny_mac Back it up, secure erase the data and sell the SSD.

This can be fixed by replacing the connector and a 1TB is worth it.

People never go out of business.

You could superglue the broken plastic piece , it will last long enough to keep a sata cable connected as you transfer the data.

Another option would be to buy an adapter cable that has both sata power and data combined in a single connector.

For example https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/assmann-wsw-components/AK-SATA-SP-050/951594

Or  https://www.amazon.com/CGTime-15-Inch-Serial-Power-SATA22Pin/dp/B01MG8XX6Z/

Or   https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Silverstone-CP13-Components/dp/B01N3M8RWD/

image.png.5ac24718d2ed324997e899456d1e2a11.png

As the two connectors are in a single piece the plastic from the sata power half will keep the whole wide connector aligned, so would just need to add put the broken piece of plastic or something of equal thickness above the contacts so that when you insert this wide connector, the contacts will be pressed against the contacts inside this adapter cable.

Inserting the broken piece of connector INTO the wide sata connector before plugging the wide connector into the SSD header may also work (just be careful to get the contacts in between that broken plastic and the wide connector contacts and not break them.

Long term ... if you care about the SSD and you think it's worth spending maybe 20-50$ to fix it, one possible option would be to go to a place that repairs phones or laptops with a replacement sata connector and have them solder the connector to the SSD circuit board.

There's lots of models of that combined sata power + data header so maybe it's cheaper to find some broken wd blue / blue 3d ssd and go with it to a service place - they could desolder the connector and transplant it to your ssd.

example : 20$ for a 250 gb ssd with 90% chance to have the same connector : https://www.ebay.com/itm/325974997864

At the same service places they could solder thin wires from those loose contacts to the contacts in a sata cable for you to transfer the data ... this would take a few minutes so easy job for a person repairing phones or laptops