Reacting fails sometimes on mobile

Browser, version and OS: Firefox Nightly 127a on mobile

What happened?

Sometimes reacting does not work and shows an error. Reacting again still does not work, the only way it will work is if I refresh the page. This doesn't happen too often--maybe once every 2 days.

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

Spoiler

lttbug_2.thumb.png.63ed0b4713788dfea73cc4c67138e43f.png

Any other relevant details:

I had my computer beside me so I plugged the phone in and got to the console and found that a network request was failing.

Spoiler

These are the network requests after attempting to react a few times.

ltt-bug.thumb.png.9775b039d6e74869c15e12d1aadc99c5.png

(csrf keys hidden because I thought they shouldn't be shared but idk)

This only happens on my phone, never experienced it on my computer. I know I'm using the experimental version of Firefox, but this has been happening to me for probably a few months now so certainly not a problem with Nightly.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

37 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

Reacting again still does not work, the only way it will work is if I refresh the page.

Same, on stable Firefox/Android. Probably an issue with the browser not loading everything correctly the first time.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Conclusion: use brave

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

Just now, GoStormPlays said:

Conclusion: use brave

no

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

Just now, RockSolid1106 said:

no

sad

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you in private browsing or using FIrefox Focus or anything like that? And if you navigate to about:serviceworkers, is there an entry for linustechtips.com?

Given that it works sometimes, I suspect this isn't the issue, but I'm not sure what else it could be.

As you're using nightly, I guess I should also check whether it's still happening.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

Are you in private browsing or using FIrefox Focus or anything like that?

Nope.

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

And if you navigate to about:serviceworkers, is there an entry for linustechtips.com?

It does have one, although at the top of the page it says "Service Workers are not enabled" but I don't know anything about this.

^

VPN Server Guide

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 5:37 PM, RockSolid1106 said:

Any other relevant details:

I had my computer beside me so I plugged the phone in and got to the console and found that a network request was failing.

Hide contents

These are the network requests after attempting to react a few times.

ltt-bug.thumb.png.9775b039d6e74869c15e12d1aadc99c5.png

(csrf keys hidden because I thought they shouldn't be shared but idk)

In the unredacted version of this screenshot, are the two CSRF keys in the URL the same? The CSRF key is somewhat sensitive (and the cookies are definitely sensitive), but it's fine to post the first few characters of it. And if you refresh the page and do the reaction again, do the CSRF keys in the resulting URL match either of the ones from when it failed?

Fair warning though, it's pretty unlikely that I will be able to do anything about this.

HTTP/2 203

On 5/27/2024 at 8:12 PM, colonel_mortis said:

In the unredacted version of this screenshot, are the two CSRF keys in the URL the same? The CSRF key is somewhat sensitive (and the cookies are definitely sensitive), but it's fine to post the first few characters of it. And if you refresh the page and do the reaction again, do the CSRF keys in the resulting URL match either of the ones from when it failed?

Fair warning though, it's pretty unlikely that I will be able to do anything about this.

I didn't have my laptop for a few days so I couldn't have checked. I am back home now but I can't replicate this again for the life of me lol.

I'll post when/if I encounter it.

^

VPN Server Guide

In the screenshot you posted you are viewing a status update overlay and attempting to react to a status update, but the URL displayed is for a /topic/ page. The Recent Status Update feed that allows you to open the overlay shouldn't be displayed on individual topic pages. What steps did you take to open the status update overlay from that /topic/ page? Are you using a script or browser add-on that modifies the page to display the recent status update feed on topic pages?

I suspect this issue may be related to the overlay being opened in a page that isn't intended to display status updates.

I don't seem able to replicate the issue here, at least not without the steps taken to open the status update from a /topic/ page, however I can replicate this on the beta forum by opening the status update from the recent status feed displayed on the homepage and attempting to react to content.

Spoiler

image.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Are you using a script or browser add-on that modifies the page to display the recent status update feed on topic pages?

I do, yes. The script makes a request to the forum main page, grabs the SU section and concatenates it to the sidebar. Sorry, should've mentioned that in OP. I have tried it a couple times just now and reacting to SUs where the script was involved, there are no problems.

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I suspect this issue may be related to the overlay being opened in a page that isn't intended to display status updates.

Possible, although I think this is unlikely. The error I have is network related rather than a JS error.

^

VPN Server Guide

On 6/3/2024 at 5:52 PM, RockSolid1106 said:

Possible, although I think this is unlikely. The error I have is network related rather than a JS error.

The network error relates to requesting from the wrong URL though, and that could be because the page is confused about what page you are on/what content you are looking at, or because your script is handling CSRF tokens incorrectly.

The script isn't definitely the problem - it's quite possible that there is an actual forum bug - but it would be good to rule it out.

HTTP/2 203