Did a small overclock to My ram. Now no post.

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,
1 hour ago, Tamgam12 said:

It is a fresh build. Updated everything bios, windows ect. Was running great. Turned on xmp, still ran great. Tightened the timings a couple points. No post. Cleared the cmos and still no post. Any ideas? My first build.

5600x

32g 3600mhz cl18 team group 

Gigabyte b550m k

Rx 6800

yea dont ram oc blind

send thaiphoon burner screenshot to identify ram ics cause thats what determines your rams capabilities

after identifying the ic just look for other ppls oc results with it and copy paste timings and subtimings, itll probably just work assuming you arent dealing with high freq (>4400) and if unstable just do some minor changes, for high freq ocs theyre still useful as a reference as someone will probs do some high freq runs and post em but dont expect plug and play

Spoiler

IMG_20240226_014938.thumb.jpg.0cf11f542aa9838ffb6cdc95a6633308.jpgIMG_20240226_015145.thumb.jpg.7e23d5ac63896a27983bdf868ecf3f73.jpgIMG_20240318_225751.thumb.jpg.507ddfd9747119525c89b725c8ffde27.jpg

i mainly toy around with max freq runs and stability at high freq but ill just use this as an example of what not ocing blind can do

this is 1gbit g die (m378b2873gb0) and i bought some cause i saw some ppl getting 3600+ with these and since theyre 1gb they are pretty cheap and dont need trfc >300 or in this case auto as the board only allows me to set up to 255

first time i got it i was definitely struggling to even get 3000 working even if i copy the primaries and trfc of whatever hwbot sub i was looking and was honestly starting to think that i got some garbage samples even worse than my transcend psc but after i looked around and found someone posted some secondaries i copy pasted them + abit of loosening to make sure they actually worked and no more issues pushing past 3000 and with abit of a looser version of the timings posted above (twr 12 twtp 24) + binning some xeons ive managed to hit 3400 albiet 2.3v so probably gonna have to bin some more of these or find em in heatspreader form (better pcb), highest ive done stable is 2900 on 2 sticks at 2.2v but imc limit so cant go farther stabily =(

and i just realized that the ics im currently interested in (1gbit/2gbit bfr/dfr) may not even have any references for secondaries because ddr3 era and if those are just as annoying as gdie secondaries wise i am cooked

im just gonna assume you do ram oc for performance so just copy paste someones 3800 oc profile maybe minor adjustments if neccesary stresstest and be done with it

you can tune the tertiaries but that is something youll have to do yourself, dunno if references work here or not but afaik its different for every setup, gains will be pretty big but itll be quite the pain, i personally just tighten till no post and move on to the next few tertiaries and stress rinse and repeat, for ones that are a pain (they arent stable when set abit above the point of no post) just set them somewhat loose and be done with it

It is a fresh build. Updated everything bios, windows ect. Was running great. Turned on xmp, still ran great. Tightened the timings a couple points. No post. Cleared the cmos and still no post. Any ideas? My first build.

5600x

Gigabyte b550m k

Rx 6800

4 minutes ago, Tamgam12 said:

5600x

Gigabyte b550m k

Rx 6800

Clear cmos correctly 😄

Keep PSU turned on. PC need to be shutdown obviously. Take screwdriver or metal thing and short the two pins as mentioned in the manual. Turn on. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Clear cmos correctly 😄

Keep PSU turned on. PC need to be shutdown obviously. Take screwdriver or metal thing and short the two pins as mentioned in the manual. Turn on. 

I'll try again. Thank you.

17 minutes ago, Tamgam12 said:

5600x

Gigabyte b550m k

Rx 6800

It aint no magic bullet with limited experience.. one thing at a time, stress test it properly (Various Apps taking hours dont be in a rush for a RAM OC), rinse and repeat. or why bother at all if you don't do it properly. Unless you can't detect microstuttering or like crashes/ill performance (can be worse than stock)

Just by saying you did multiple timings at the same time shows inexperience and shortcutting a RAM OC is 200% going to be a bad time and you won't have ANY recovery effort because you skipped the right method by accelerating a bad process, leading you to start over again...and again..and again.

Wasted time in bios with MEM OC shortcuts all for what..not being mean I'm just concerned you'll follow what I did years ago..

Spoiler

Why make your system perform worse doing it the wrong way from the start?

Could you even tell if it was or wasnt?, and if so.. What then?

Because you changed multiple things, now you are back to the beginning again to start all over one at a time.

All the 'try again shortcut process' can be more time than doing it properly...

So... not to be mean, doing it properly will NOT waste your time , and get you the results you are after...to some degree/possibly/likely knowing how to do so in future, and carry the information forward, without guessing next time...

Also kinda pointless if you are chasing GPU bound gaming.. if you play eSports at low settings I do get it.

Again, don't read this^ as if I'm being mean... I'm trying to SAVE YOU the TIME wasted on doing it wrong, that's all.

I went down this road myself, thought I knew stuff, RAM OC will prove you wrong when you don't do it right.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

11 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

It aint no magic bullet based on limited experience....., one thing at a time, stress test it properly, rinse and repeat. or why bother at all if you don't do it properly.

Unless you can't detect microstuttering or like crashes/ill performance.

Just by saying you did multiple timings at the same time shows inexperience.

Reveal hidden contents

Why make your system perform worse doing it the wrong way from the start?

Could you even tell if it was or wasnt?, and if so.. What then?

Because you changed multiple things, now you are back to the beginning again to start all over one at a time.

Multiple changes & test=bad, all the 'try again time wasting' can be more time than doing it properly...

So... not to be mean, doing it properly will NOT waste your time , and get you the results you want...possibly/likely knowing how, and carry the information forward, without guessing next time...

Also kinda pointless if you are chasing GPU bound gaming.. if you play eSports at low settings I do get it.

Again, don't read this as if I'm being mean... I'm trying to SAVE YOU the TIME wasted on doing it wrong, that's all.

I went down this road myself, thought I knew stuff, RAM OC will prove you wrong when yo don't do it right.

That's why I'm here. Cleared the cmos a fifth time and it's back up. I'm going to leave the xmp on and call it a day for awhile. I appreciate your help.

18 minutes ago, Tamgam12 said:

That's why I'm here. Cleared the cmos a fifth time and it's back up. I'm going to leave the xmp on and call it a day for awhile. I appreciate your help.

Cool, you said it's a fresh build, and now you are up and running get used to how it is now,create mental snapshots of how it should be... even do some tests/grab results from your baseline stock performance so you can tell if it gets better or worse when you start your overclock.

Happy gaming!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, Tamgam12 said:

5600x

Gigabyte b550m k

Rx 6800

yea dont ram oc blind

send thaiphoon burner screenshot to identify ram ics cause thats what determines your rams capabilities

after identifying the ic just look for other ppls oc results with it and copy paste timings and subtimings, itll probably just work assuming you arent dealing with high freq (>4400) and if unstable just do some minor changes, for high freq ocs theyre still useful as a reference as someone will probs do some high freq runs and post em but dont expect plug and play

Spoiler

IMG_20240226_014938.thumb.jpg.0cf11f542aa9838ffb6cdc95a6633308.jpgIMG_20240226_015145.thumb.jpg.7e23d5ac63896a27983bdf868ecf3f73.jpgIMG_20240318_225751.thumb.jpg.507ddfd9747119525c89b725c8ffde27.jpg

i mainly toy around with max freq runs and stability at high freq but ill just use this as an example of what not ocing blind can do

this is 1gbit g die (m378b2873gb0) and i bought some cause i saw some ppl getting 3600+ with these and since theyre 1gb they are pretty cheap and dont need trfc >300 or in this case auto as the board only allows me to set up to 255

first time i got it i was definitely struggling to even get 3000 working even if i copy the primaries and trfc of whatever hwbot sub i was looking and was honestly starting to think that i got some garbage samples even worse than my transcend psc but after i looked around and found someone posted some secondaries i copy pasted them + abit of loosening to make sure they actually worked and no more issues pushing past 3000 and with abit of a looser version of the timings posted above (twr 12 twtp 24) + binning some xeons ive managed to hit 3400 albiet 2.3v so probably gonna have to bin some more of these or find em in heatspreader form (better pcb), highest ive done stable is 2900 on 2 sticks at 2.2v but imc limit so cant go farther stabily =(

and i just realized that the ics im currently interested in (1gbit/2gbit bfr/dfr) may not even have any references for secondaries because ddr3 era and if those are just as annoying as gdie secondaries wise i am cooked

im just gonna assume you do ram oc for performance so just copy paste someones 3800 oc profile maybe minor adjustments if neccesary stresstest and be done with it

you can tune the tertiaries but that is something youll have to do yourself, dunno if references work here or not but afaik its different for every setup, gains will be pretty big but itll be quite the pain, i personally just tighten till no post and move on to the next few tertiaries and stress rinse and repeat, for ones that are a pain (they arent stable when set abit above the point of no post) just set them somewhat loose and be done with it

2 hours ago, Tamgam12 said:

5600x

Gigabyte b550m k

Rx 6800

Tightening timings is absolutely not guaranteed to work, what did you change exactly ? CL18 RAM won't usually work at CL16...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

18 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Tightening timings is absolutely not guaranteed to work, what did you change exactly ? CL18 RAM won't usually work at CL16...

I lowered to cl17 and took 2 off of the rest. From cl18 22 22 42. It is 2 16g 3600mhz t force Vulcan z