Some large files transfer from my LAN file server faster than other large files

Hi all!

I've got a bunch of Linux ISOs on my file server, and I recently upgraded my routers and cables to have full Gigabit networking in my house (Yes, I was using 10/100 Mbps before). In the process of testing and verifying the network speeds, I noticed that some files would transfer from the HDD in my file server to the SSD in my personal computer at Gigabit speeds no problem, however one in particular will start off at Gigabit speed, then drop down to 250Mbps or so for the rest of the transfer. Transferring the same file back onto the File Server's HDD from my computer (and all the other large files I've tried) will transfer at Gigabit speed no problem.

Any idea what's up with that?

Some extra info, I'm running Linux Mint 20.3 on my file server with a simple network shared folder that is on its own dedicated HDD, and my computer is Windows 11. I'm just transferring using regular File Explorer copy/paste between my network drive and my local drive.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Could be fragmentation or potentially even bad sectors on the HDD. If the HDD's head has to move around a lot during the copy process, that could slow it down a fair bit. Or if it has to do a lot of error correction.

After you've copied the file back, if you repeat the transfer from the new location, is it slow again?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

After you've copied the file back, if you repeat the transfer from the new location, is it slow again?

I thought you were on to something there, but unfortunately it wasn't any better even when copying a new copy of the file from the file server.