CPU Bottleneck for 4K video editing?

Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,
2 minutes ago, Layne C said:

I edit off of hard drives

That's going to make the actual editing process a pain, especially scrubbing through clips. 

I don't know if bottleneck is the right term here. If you're doing an action in an editor that is a CPU function, something like the final export, you're going to see 100% CPU usage, or at least you should. 

Lot of good information in this thread. https://old.reddit.com/r/premiere/comments/10zbmm2/how_do_i_get_premiere_pro_to_use_more_gpu_instead/

Especially this comment: https://old.reddit.com/r/premiere/comments/10zbmm2/how_do_i_get_premiere_pro_to_use_more_gpu_instead/j83mlot/

Hi all,

I edit 4K video and was recently looking at task manager while editing and was realizing that for certain aspects of the edit, my CPU usage was at 100% and my graphics card never exceeded 30% while rendering out a video. I don't know much about bottlenecks, but I'm curious if I have had a large bottleneck this whole time from my processor but just never bothered to check. I also noticed my CPU's graphics card was being utilized at one point but my 3060 wasn't. I assume this is due to Adobe assigning tasks to specific components, but do I have a setting turned off that doesn't allow for utilization of my graphics card or something??

Editing is typically pretty smooth for me, though there are a couple times I have to wait for Premiere Pro to catch up. I don't have a separate SSD for caching, and I edit off of hard drives so I've always assumed this combination was my bottleneck, though now I'm not sure. My question is, is this a massive bottleneck or would there not be much of a difference if I upgraded my CPU? At the time of buying this CPU, I thought it was a pretty good one (considering my budget too), but 3.60GHz is sort of slow, correct? Is that part of my bottleneck? Is this even a bottleneck at all?

Probably irrelevant but can't hurt to add this. I don't game much but I play some League of Legends on max settings and rarely ever get below 100fps. I haven't paid attention to my fps in that game in awhile, I just don't look at it, but I'm pretty sure this number is close to accurate.

Screenshots attached.

Hardware specs (built new in 2022):

Intel Core i7 12700K 3.6GHz 12-core processor

32GB ram

Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA 1700 Motherboard

GeForce RTX 3060 12GB Graphics Card

Dual monitors, one is 3840x2180 via DisplayPort and the other is 1920x1080 via HDMI

Editing Info:

Premiere Pro V24.3

Canon RAW .CRM & .MP4 is the typical footage I'm editing 

The export I mentioned was in Media Encoder and exporting as an h.264 1920x1080 target 16mb/s. About a 5 minute video

I don't edit using proxies

Thanks for your help. Happy to provide additional info if needed.

Screenshot (78).png

Screenshot (82).png

Screenshot (85).png

2 minutes ago, Layne C said:

I edit off of hard drives

That's going to make the actual editing process a pain, especially scrubbing through clips. 

I don't know if bottleneck is the right term here. If you're doing an action in an editor that is a CPU function, something like the final export, you're going to see 100% CPU usage, or at least you should. 

Lot of good information in this thread. https://old.reddit.com/r/premiere/comments/10zbmm2/how_do_i_get_premiere_pro_to_use_more_gpu_instead/

Especially this comment: https://old.reddit.com/r/premiere/comments/10zbmm2/how_do_i_get_premiere_pro_to_use_more_gpu_instead/j83mlot/

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

You're right, that's an awesome thread and comment. Wish I saw that before I made my post. I'm happy to know that all seems normal then, thank you!

13 minutes ago, Layne C said:

You're right, that's an awesome thread and comment. Wish I saw that before I made my post. I'm happy to know that all seems normal then, thank you!

did you try right clicking the CPU graph to show all the cores/threads? (show logical processors graph?)

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

29 minutes ago, podkall said:

did you try right clicking the CPU graph to show all the cores/threads? (show logical processors graph?)

I actually didn't even know you could do that. I'll try that next time I edit.

Seems like you are using both cpu and gpu for rendering, you may be able to set a custom export setting and have the gpu just do the rendering, idk. Anyway, it's probably working fine the way it is. I use only CPU rendering at 32mb/s and I do just fine.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

IIRC, Premier does not offer a pure GPU encode option. (I’m not familiar with a major NLE that does)

The GPUs role in most NLEs is for effects processing. 

1 hour ago, MadAnt250 said:

Seems like you are using both cpu and gpu for rendering, you may be able to set a custom export setting and have the gpu just do the rendering, idk. Anyway, it's probably working fine the way it is. I use only CPU rendering at 32mb/s and I do just fine.

This is good to hear, thank you!

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

IIRC, Premier does not offer a pure GPU encode option. (I’m not familiar with a major NLE that does)

The GPUs role in most NLEs is for effects processing. 

Thank you!