Is this CPU actualy THIS bad?

Hey everyone!
I've been pretty much certain about picking the R9 7900X for my future PC Build. (PC will be used for video editing, livestreaming while gaming, and gaming in general)
But many people have said, that the 7900X really sucks for gaming. I've gone for it, cause people have recommended it for above said workload (more cores), but now I don't know what to believe anymore.
Can I get solid gaming performance with a 7900X? (will first be paired with my old 3060 Ti, and after with a 4070 Ti SUPER)
Or what would be a better CPU option for video editing, streaming and gaming in combination?
Feel free to suggest multiple CPUs, as I want to compare.

Thanks for the help.

Its fine. You can do all of what you listed above with a 7800x3D just fine as well, and get better gaming performance. Final rendering will be slower, but overall depending on the amount of content you need to edit it wont matter much.

7900x isnt bad, its just the middle of the pack choice, and its price is what dictates whether or not its a good choice.

1 minute ago, Fluuwu said:

Can I get solid gaming performance with a 7900X?

Yes. Whoever said the 7900X sucks for gaming doesn't know what they're talking about, it's consistently a very good chip. The 7800X3D is just usually a better CPU for games, and since most people on here are primarily gamers, it's the primary recommendation, especially since it's usually a little cheaper. If you need mutli core performance first and foremost, the 7900X is likely the way to go. 

The 7900X3D might be worth considering, as it should get you closer to the gaming performance of the 7800X3D without losing too much multi core performance and it has been on some good sales lately, though given the scheduling issues it can run into I'd still likely just go 7900X so you don't have to think about it. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes. Whoever said the 7900X sucks for gaming doesn't know what they're talking about, it's consistently a very good chip. The 7800X3D is just usually a better CPU for games, and since most people on here are primarily gamers, it's the primary recommendation, especially since it's usually a little cheaper. If you need mutli core performance first and foremost, the 7900X is likely the way to go. 

The 7900X3D might be worth considering, as it should get you closer to the gaming performance of the 7800X3D without losing too much multi core performance and it has been on some good sales lately, though given the scheduling issues it can run into I'd still likely just go 7900X so you don't have to think about it. 

I've actually heard that the 7900X3D can be worse than the 7900X, because apparently the 7900X3D has less cores that can actually access the large L3 Cache, but i don't really know..

7 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

I've actually heard that the 7900X3D can be worse than the 7900X, because apparently the 7900X3D has less cores that can actually access the large L3 Cache, but i don't really know..

It is just straight worse than the 7900X in more traditional multi core workloads thanks to its lower clock speeds (not too much slower, but slower nonetheless), and its worse at gaming than the 7800X3D due to the reasons you mentioned. However, I can't think of any games off the top of my head that actively perform worse on the 7900X3D than the 7900X. When it was priced $50-100 more than either the 7900X and 7800X3D, it made little sense to buy, but now that it can sometimes be found for less than either of those chips, it can be worth considering. 

I'd still personally rather the 7800X3D or 7900X though so I don't have to think about the scheduler causing weird issues. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It is just straight worse than the 7900X in more traditional multi core workloads thanks to its lower clock speeds (not too much slower, but slower nonetheless), and its worse at gaming than the 7800X3D due to the reasons you mentioned. However, I can't think of any games off the top of my head that actively perform worse on the 7900X3D than the 7900X. When it was priced $50-100 more than either the 7900X and 7800X3D, it made little sense to buy, but now that it can sometimes be found for less than either of those chips, it can be worth considering. 

I'd still personally rather the 7800X3D or 7900X though so I don't have to think about the scheduler causing weird issues. 

I'm just affraid that the 7800X3D might not be able to do workload tasks efficiently...
Also 7900X3D over the 7900X is def not worth it, FPS difference in games is only about 8-10, so it doesnt matter.

1 hour ago, Fluuwu said:

I'm just affraid that the 7800X3D might not be able to do workload tasks efficiently...
Also 7900X3D over the 7900X is def not worth it, FPS difference in games is only about 8-10, so it doesnt matter.

The 7800X3D has comparable productivity performance to the 5900X or 12700K. It's not a slow processor in that respect unless you want to compare it to the 7950X or 14900K.

If your primary focus is productivity with gaming on the side, then the 7900X is likely the better choice, but if you're mainly gaming and just occasionally stream, the 7800X3D is the way to go.

Another thing to consider is that AMD is likely to announce the 9000 series at Computex soon, so it could be worth waiting a bit to see when those will launch if you don't have to build right now.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

The 7800X3D has comparable productivity performance to the 5900X or 12700K. It's not a slow processor in that respect unless you want to compare it to the 7950X or 14900K.

If your primary focus is productivity with gaming on the side, then the 7900X is likely the better choice, but if you're mainly gaming and just occasionally stream, the 7800X3D is the way to go.

Another thing to consider is that AMD is likely to announce the 9000 series at Computex soon, so it could be worth waiting a bit to see when those will launch if you don't have to build right now.

So let's say I stream about 3 times a week for a few hours each, but I also play a lot with my friends off-stream. And the videos I edit are in 1080p/sometimes 1440p and I edit 1 video (sometimes a Short, sometimes a normal video) a day and I also once a week edit long videos from stream VODs for another creator (this takes a lot of time). Would the 7800X3D be better or the 7900X?

7 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

So let's say I stream about 3 times a week for a few hours each, but I also play a lot with my friends off-stream. And the videos I edit are in 1080p/sometimes 1440p and I edit 1 video (sometimes a Short, sometimes a normal video) a day and I also once a week edit long videos from stream VODs for another creator (this takes a lot of time). Would the 7800X3D be better or the 7900X?

That sounds like you're doing a lot of streaming and video editing. In that case, the 7900X is probably the way to go.

It's not slow in gaming - it has around the performance of the 5800X3D or 12900K. But it's about 30-40% faster than the 7800X3D in core heavy production workloads, so if you render on the CPU for your editing, it will be noticeable.

However, if you render on the GPU, do note that the CPU performance difference would then be irrelevant for that task. Same with if you encode on the GPU when streaming.

Basically, if the GPU is actually doing all the encoding/rendering work, then just get the 7800X3D. It's plenty fast during the actual editing process - especially if you're using Premier with your RTX card, as it's GPU accelerated.

7 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

That sounds like you're doing a lot of streaming and video editing. In that case, the 7900X is probably the way to go.

It's not slow in gaming - it has around the performance of the 5800X3D or 12900K. But it's about 30-40% faster than the 7800X3D in core heavy production workloads, so if you render on the CPU for your editing, it will be noticeable.

However, if you render on the GPU, do note that the CPU performance difference would then be irrelevant for that task. Same with if you encode on the GPU when streaming.

Basically, if the GPU is actually doing all the encoding/rendering work, then just get the 7800X3D. It's plenty fast during the actual editing process - especially if you're using Premier with your RTX card, as it's GPU accelerated.

I never thought about that. I Stream with NVENC encoding, so its my GPU. On my editing software (Filmora), I have GPU acceleration enabled, so it's also a lot connected to the GPU... I guess the 7800X3D really is the better choice then? Especially with my 3060 Ti that I have right now from my old build, which will soon be replaced with a 4070 Ti Super... right?

33 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

I never thought about that. I Stream with NVENC encoding, so its my GPU. On my editing software (Filmora), I have GPU acceleration enabled, so it's also a lot connected to the GPU... I guess the 7800X3D really is the better choice then? Especially with my 3060 Ti that I have right now from my old build, which will soon be replaced with a 4070 Ti Super... right?

It's what I would go with if I were in your shoes since you aren't rendering with the CPU.

I think it's easy to get caught up with having "only 8 cores" without thinking about how powerful those cores are. 8 Zen 4 cores are about as fast as 12 Zen 3 cores (5900X) are about as fast as 16 Zen 2 cores (3950X). You're getting previous generation Ryzen 9 performance for multicore workloads, so the 7800X3D is definitely sufficient for most productivity workloads as it stands.

9 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

It's what I would go with if I were in your shoes since you aren't rendering with the CPU.

I think it's easy to get caught up with having "only 8 cores" without thinking about how powerful those cores are. 8 Zen 4 cores are about as fast as 12 Zen 3 cores (5900X) are about as fast as 16 Zen 2 cores (3950X). You're getting previous generation Ryzen 9 performance for multicore workloads, so the 7800X3D is definitely sufficient for most productivity workloads as it stands.

Only thing I'm worried about, is the editing softwares performance DURING editing, since that's obviously CPU driven.. (right?)
It's just a never ending hamster wheel when it comes to CPU decision for me...

7 hours ago, Fluuwu said:

Only thing I'm worried about, is the editing softwares performance DURING editing, since that's obviously CPU driven.. (right?)
It's just a never ending hamster wheel when it comes to CPU decision for me...

A high IPC 8 core CPU running at a generous clock speed is still nothing to scoff at (7800X3D) and should be quite an upgrade over a 3700X

image.png.c9d3347da8b8dd5164ecb87cb3f725e4.png

image.thumb.png.16288979ff76a2bbdedbec4afc6144e2.png

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

40 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

A high IPC 8 core CPU running at a generous clock speed is still nothing to scoff at (7800X3D) and should be quite an upgrade over a 3700X

image.png.c9d3347da8b8dd5164ecb87cb3f725e4.png

image.thumb.png.16288979ff76a2bbdedbec4afc6144e2.png

So you'd say a 7800X3D is the better option in my case?
One other thing: The 7900X and the 7800X3D are almost the exact same price in my country. judging by that, is the 7800X3D still the better option?

3 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

So you'd say a 7800X3D is the better option in my case?
One other thing: The 7900X and the 7800X3D are almost the exact same price in my country. judging by that, is the 7800X3D still the better option?

Id personally reckon the 7800X3D is the better option, and it also uses less power, so will both be easier to cool and cheaper to run in the long term.

I think regardless of which you get youll find a large uplift in performance, and especially with DDR5 that will be another bump

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3