Is 90c too high for a 5700XT

I have a Dell-branded 5700XT, with a two-fan air cooler. It reaches 91c when I play games with max settings at 1080p. Deep Rock Galactic, Beam NG, and Jedi Fallen Order are the main culprits.

Should I be worried? I see mixed opinions. Some people say that's way too hot for a GPU, The 5700XT documents say 110c is the max junction temperature. It is getting to be summer now, so it is probably running hotter at the moment. I have one rear case fan, I have 3 spare fans that I haven't put in due to their loud noise. They were not made to be quiet.

I have not adjusted any fan curves in Bios or software. My CPU is fine, and never goes above 60c while gaming, At max load it got to 79c max.

What should I do?

8 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

I have a Dell-branded 5700XT, with a two-fan air cooler. It reaches 91c when I play games with max settings at 1080p. Deep Rock Galactic, Beam NG, and Jedi Fallen Order are the main culprits.

Should I be worried? I see mixed opinions. Some people say that's way too hot for a GPU, The 5700XT documents say 110c is the max junction temperature. It is getting to be summer now, so it is probably running hotter at the moment. I have one rear case fan, I have 3 spare fans that I haven't put in due to their loud noise. They were not made to be quiet.

I have not adjusted any fan curves in Bios or software. My CPU is fine, and never goes above 60c while gaming, At max load it got to 79c max.

What should I do?

Do you have any intake fans? What case do you have? You might be creating an oven with no airflow if you have next to no intake. If the fans are too loud, just turn them down

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 minute ago, TatamiMatt said:

Do you have any intake fans? What case do you have? You might be creating an oven with no airflow if you have next to no intake. If the fans are too loud, just turn them down

Zero intake fans. The case has a bunch of hard drive bays and a disc drive. I can mount intakes on the top, I just never though I needed too, Especially since I had a 12100f for a while, before I added a 12600kf. Which has a tower cooler with one fan, which blows air to the single exhaust fan

2 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

Zero intake fans. The case has a bunch of hard drive bays and a disc drive. I can mount intakes on the top, I just never though I needed too, Especially since I had a 12100f for a while, before I added a 12600kf. Which has a tower cooler with one fan, which blows air to the single exhaust fan

Yeah, though the gpu will be dumping 90C air into the case, basically turning it into a fan oven. Almost every single case has the option to put fans in the front intake though, what case do you have?

System specs:

3 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Yeah, though the gpu will be dumping 90C air into the case, basically turning it into a fan oven. Almost every single case has the option to put fans in the front intake though, what case do you have?

Thermaltake Versa H22. Im unsure if it has a spot for a front fan, It does have a AIO spot on top, where I can add some fans

2 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

Thermaltake Versa H22. Im unsure if it has a spot for a front fan, It does have a AIO spot on top, where I can add some fans

image.png.0e960a91b7a9b6375c00ce8456477f12.png

image.png.0ae963cb14795eba2597821608f591ef.png

Nah it has space for 2 fans, id wager you pop the front panel off to install them, i had a similar case a little while ago

image.thumb.png.8ee5c998d11188bc188e5ebff7ba19dd.png

System specs:

image.png.0e960a91b7a9b6375c00ce8456477f12.png

image.png.0ae963cb14795eba2597821608f591ef.png

Nah it has space for 2 fans, id wager you pop the front panel off to install them, i had a similar case a little while ago

image.thumb.png.8ee5c998d11188bc188e5ebff7ba19dd.png

Oh sweet, So I should just add two of my noisy fans, and have them run when the motherboard heat sensor gets high?

4 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

Oh sweet, So I should just add two of my noisy fans, and have them run when the motherboard heat sensor gets high?

Have them run nonstop, try downloading a programme called fan control by Rem0o, lets you manipulate your fan speeds, curves and different temps sensors, so you can have them running slower and kick up in RPM slightly when things get hotter 

System specs:

Have them run nonstop, try downloading a programme called fan control by Rem0o, lets you manipulate your fan speeds, curves and different temps sensors, so you can have them running slower and kick up in RPM slightly when things get hotter 

Ok, thanks. Obviously, the GPU would throttle before dying, but That would hurt performance. So Ill add the fans

25 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

It reaches 91c

What part of the graphics card reaches 91C? The die, junction, VRM, memory or something else? 91C junction is absolutely fine, and nothing to worry about. 91C die temperature is on the high side, but also fine.

13 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Yeah, though the gpu will be dumping 90C air into the case, basically turning it into a fan oven.

No, a GPU running at 90C will not dump 90C air into the case. How in the world did you get that idea? The air being cooler than the die is exactly what allows it to transfer heat, and a graphics card with active cooling will make sure the air is far cooler than the die temperature. Do you also think that the liquid in a liquid cooler also reaches 90C?

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

No, a GPU running at 90C will not dump 90C air into the case. How in the world did you get that idea? The air being cooler than the die is exactly what allows it to transfer heat, and a graphics card with active cooling will make sure the air is far cooler than the die temperature. Do you also think that the liquid in a liquid cooler also reaches 90C?

No, was just not being specific, im not even awake half an hour 😅

System specs:

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

What part of the graphics card reaches 91C? The die, junction, VRM, memory or something else? 91C junction is absolutely fine, and nothing to worry about. 91C die temperature is on the high side, but also fine.

I don't know how to check the junction temperature, I just assumed MSI afterburner was reporting that not the Die. Fallen Order is only getting up to 60c at Epic for some reason, I have no idea what Deep Rock does to my GPU lol.

21 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

I have them running nonstop in the front panel, the temperature is now 86. Not sure if its worth the extra noise they give

23 hours ago, seon123 said:

image.png.d49b38caf5ae19ae09317d4131e85a53.png

Not sure how to fix this. Even with the new front fans at 100% and loud enough to create a sonic boom it stays at 103

18 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

image.png.d49b38caf5ae19ae09317d4131e85a53.png

Not sure how to fix this. Even with the new front fans at 100% and loud enough to create a sonic boom it stays at 103

Still run the front fans slower if theyre deafening, you can also create a custom gpu fan curve in adrenalin to bump the fans up to a faster speed earlier

System specs:

6 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Still run the front fans slower if theyre deafening, you can also create a custom gpu fan curve in adrenalin to bump the fans up to a faster speed earlier

Ok, I can try that. I'm not losing performance, And it throttles before it gets to 110c, so I don't think its the end of the world. (Edit: Somehow this dell OEM 5700XT allows me to mess with fan controls and overclocking. Don't know why, I set the fans all to be faster, and the curve goes up faster.)

4 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

Ok, I can try that. I'm not losing performance, And it throttles before it gets to 110c, so I don't think its the end of the world. (Edit: Somehow this dell OEM 5700XT allows me to mess with fan controls and overclocking. Don't know why, I set the fans all to be faster, and the curve goes up faster.)

You can also try limiting the boost clock to be like 50MHz lower, nothing that will even come close to affecting performance, then undervolting, this should reduce temps by quite a bit

System specs:

12 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

You can also try limiting the boost clock to be like 50MHz lower, nothing that will even come close to affecting performance, then undervolting, this should reduce temps by quite a bit

Ok, Heres my solution I'm putting together. (It is also very hot in the room with my PC, hence why I am starting to worry, summer is coming)

Step 1: Get new quieter fans. Install them and tweak the curve

Step 2: Underclock the GPU a little

Step 3: Have its fans ramp up faster and run faster

11 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

Ok, Heres my solution I'm putting together. (It is also very hot in the room with my PC, hence why I am starting to worry, summer is coming)

Step 1: Get new quieter fans. Install them and tweak the curve

Step 2: Underclock the GPU a little

Step 3: Have its fans ramp up faster and run faster

Yeah, though i will say, not too fast as GPU fans can sound like jet engines at full tilt, which would make step 1 redundant if you want a quieter pc

System specs: