Micro Stutter in Games with 7950x3D and 4090

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing frustrating micro stuttering (every 5-10 seconds) issues while playing several games, including Valorant, Rocket League, and Helldivers 2. I've tried to troubleshoot the issue myself but haven't had any luck so far.

Here are the specifics of my system:

- Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI
- GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4090 O24GB ROG Strix Gaming
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
- PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000
- BIOS Version: 2613
- Memory: 2x 16GB DDR5 G.Skill F5-6000J3038F16G
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19045.4291 (22H2)
- EXPO I enabled
- fTPM Disabled

To give you an idea of the issue, I have attached some SS showing the frame timing from Valorant, Rocket League, and Helldivers 2. From the images, you can see the irregular frame pacing which I believe is causing the stutters. Only video stutters, audio is normal.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Updated all drivers, including GPU and motherboard firmware.
- Monitored CPU and GPU temperatures (all within normal ranges).
- Disabled fTMP based on some posts of with similar issue.
- Disabled EXPO.
- Fresh Windows install.
- Updated BIOS from 1809 to 2613

Despite these efforts, the problem persists. Could this be an issue with my hardware setup or possibly a software/configuration issue? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

hd2_1.PNG

hd2_2.PNG

rl_1.PNG

rl_2.PNG

valo_1.PNG

valo_2.PNG

Edited by Volratholave
uploaded images

56 minutes ago, Volratholave said:

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing frustrating micro stuttering (every 5-10 seconds) issues while playing several games, including Valorant, Rocket League, and Helldivers 2. I've tried to troubleshoot the issue myself but haven't had any luck so far.

Here are the specifics of my system:

- Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI
- GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4090 O24GB ROG Strix Gaming
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
- PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000
- BIOS Version: 2613
- Memory: 2x 16GB DDR5 G.Skill F5-6000J3038F16G
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19045.4291 (22H2)
- EXPO I enabled
- fTPM Disabled

To give you an idea of the issue, I have attached some SS showing the frame timing from Valorant, Rocket League, and Helldivers 2. From the images, you can see the irregular frame pacing which I believe is causing the stutters. Only video stutters, audio is normal.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Updated all drivers, including GPU and motherboard firmware.
- Monitored CPU and GPU temperatures (all within normal ranges).
- Disabled fTMP based on some posts of with similar issue.
- Disabled EXPO.
- Fresh Windows install.
- Updated BIOS from 1809 to 2613

Despite these efforts, the problem persists. Could this be an issue with my hardware setup or possibly a software/configuration issue? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

hd2_1.PNG

hd2_2.PNG

rl_1.PNG

rl_2.PNG

valo_1.PNG

valo_2.PNG

Install the chipset drivers and set CPU SMU CPPC preferred cores to 'cache'

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Here's a few recommendations for you:

Is Windows Power Plan on High Performance?

Have you tried disabling CCD1?

Have you tried following tutorials on using Process Lasso to fully utilize the CPU?

Have you simply tried Unparking All Cores?

Have you tried using Windows 11 (due to the better scheduler assigning tasks to prioritized CCDs)? 

This is quite a well known issue with 7950x3D and why its a pretty terrible idea to buy one. You pretty much cannot fix the stutter issue, You can lessen it a bit but due to the nature of the multi CCD issue, you either have to disable cores and hope it works (ive had varied results from this from about 8 different people) and when you need to do production work just turn all cores back on in bios, or see.

Was this a completely clean install of windows 11 from an up to date version? 7950x3D requires that. In your  post it says a fresh windows install, so id hope you would have used a more recent ISO for it.

24 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

This is quite a well known issue with 7950x3D and why its a pretty terrible idea to buy one. You pretty much cannot fix the stutter issue, You can lessen it a bit but due to the nature of the multi CCD issue, you either have to disable cores and hope it works (ive had varied results from this from about 8 different people) and when you need to do production work just turn all cores back on in bios, or see.

Was this a completely clean install of windows 11 from an up to date version? 7950x3D requires that. In your  post it says a fresh windows install, so id hope you would have used a more recent ISO for it.

Nothing wrong with the 7950x3D if you configure it properly.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

1 minute ago, Agall said:

Nothing wrong with the 7950x3D if you configure it properly.

Simply not the case with quite a few people sadly. If you get it to work fine, thats great 😄 Been one of the biggest pain in the ass CPUS to help fix for. What works for one MOBO and cpu does not work for another with these varied stutter issues.

1 hour ago, Volratholave said:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19045.4291 (22H2)

Even if you don't dive into the BIOS, being on Windows 11 with GameBar active and the latest chipset driver should be a minimum for this CPU.

If you're still having issues at that point, there is something else you can try.

10 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Simply not the case with quite a few people sadly. If you get it to work fine, thats great 😄 Been one of the biggest pain in the ass CPUS to help fix for. What works for one MOBO and cpu does not work for another with these varied stutter issues.

Just do what I did then, direct die cool it and disable CCD1. 7800XT3D mode enabled. I run the full 16c/32t all the time though, about to swap back.

Even then, the difference in UEFIs is usually how the preferred cores are configured. Most people don't seem to configure this since no youtubers cover it. I've experienced the micro stutters and its usually the failure of the driver, something you can override entirely with CPPC preferred core settings.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

22 hours ago, Agall said:

Install the chipset drivers and set CPU SMU CPPC preferred cores to 'cache'

Chipset drivers were updated, tried both CPU SMC CPPC preferred cores to 'frequency' and 'cache', neither worked.

22 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Here's a few recommendations for you:

Is Windows Power Plan on High Performance?

Have you tried disabling CCD1?

Have you tried following tutorials on using Process Lasso to fully utilize the CPU?

Have you simply tried Unparking All Cores?

Have you tried using Windows 11 (due to the better scheduler assigning tasks to prioritized CCDs)? 

Windows is on High Performance.

I tried disabling it, same results.

Dont know the Process Lasso, will try tomorrow.

Havent tried Unparking All Cores, dont know what it is. Tomorrow will research more.

I had fTMP off, then it was a real struggle to set it back on with safe boot. Many times it froze in BIOS and also in the first dot of the snipping wheel of the win startup logo. After several BIOS resets via removing the battery and different BIOS configs, was able to have 1 good boot with everything on for the Win 11 Update, but then the Windows Update tool didn't recognize the machine to be ready for the update. After a reboot and a loot of tries, I had to give in and turn off fTPM to boot. Will continue tomorrow.

22 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Tried turning off CCD and also CPU SMC CPPC preferred cores to 'frequency' and 'cache', neither worked.

I will make a fresh and up to date bootable Win 11 install tomorrow and try.

21 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Even if you don't dive into the BIOS, being on Windows 11 with GameBar active and the latest chipset driver should be a minimum for this CPU.

If you're still having issues at that point, there is something else you can try.

Will test.

Thanks everyone for the help, today was a long day debugging, no luck so far. Will continue tomorrow.

Back in my day it wasn't this frustrating, I feel old.

Regards.

1 hour ago, Volratholave said:

Havent tried Unparking All Cores, dont know what it is. Tomorrow will research more.

I had fTMP off, then it was a real struggle to set it back on with safe boot. Many times it froze in BIOS and also in the first dot of the snipping wheel of the win startup logo. After several BIOS resets via removing the battery and different BIOS configs, was able to have 1 good boot with everything on for the Win 11 Update, but then the Windows Update tool didn't recognize the machine to be ready for the update. After a reboot and a loot of tries, I had to give in and turn off fTPM to boot. Will continue tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help, today was a long day debugging, no luck so far. Will continue tomorrow.

Regards.

Okay, so if you're on High Performance that's a good place to start. If you aren't getting any performance increases from disabling a CCD, then that automatically makes me think there might be other issues in the setup/build that we might have to pinpoint instead.

As far as "Process Lasso" goes, there's tons of tutorials on what it does and how to use it on YouTube: specifically geared towards 7950x3D/7900x3D usage. However, judging from your response here, there might be other things to tackle first.

As far as Unparking All Cores, the best way to do it would be to use "Quick CPU" from 'Coderbag'. There might be other ways or utilities, but that is what I use and is quick & easy to understand.

From your description though, it makes me think it might be worth shifting gears towards the NVIDIA settings,

Check your NVIDIA Control Panel settings and make the following changes:

W0z1DGx.png.256b3cd609516c77065fadc09dda90fd.png

Also, change the following settings, "Threaded Optimization" from 'Auto' to 'On':

image_2021-05-07_091211.png.ef9a41594ffa0becff87ed001660f7a5.png

These are few recommendations I can offer in the meantime.

Regardless, I'm sorry to hear your troubleshooting/debugging didn't go as planned today. As far as your Windows 11 installation woes go, that behavior reminds me of other issues being present in the build. At that point, I would be willing to take apart the PC completely and rebuild it from the ground up; reseating everything and double/triple checking all connections being firmly made (eliminating the chance of a short somewhere). Loose connections or not complete connections can cause a plethora of issues, even if the computer turns on and runs 'as normal'. I would also be interested in seeing the motherboard CPU socket too, inspect it for bent pins as an example of another concern. Sometimes, even reseating a CPU/dGPU fixes odd and peculiar issues like this.

Normally, modern computer building is supposed to be easier, however, there are a lot of particulars to consider these days. Hopefully, one of us can come up with a solution for you.

12 hours ago, Volratholave said:

Chipset drivers were updated, tried both CPU SMC CPPC preferred cores to 'frequency' and 'cache', neither worked.

Tried turning off CCD and also CPU SMC CPPC preferred cores to 'frequency' and 'cache', neither worked.

I will make a fresh and up to date bootable Win 11 install tomorrow and try.

Will test.

Regards.

Its quite possible there's some AUTO features enabled in Asus' BIOS that's causing an issue. They did have a lot more options in the UEFI regarding CPPC.

At 10:22

image.png.e91271c0266044df8ede2fbc1917539a.png

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500