Is CeX reliable for PC hardware?

Found an i7-3770 for around 130zloty (~30$), but looking from some reviews it doesn't seem a very reliable shop to buy from. Did anyone buy from there? Was the hardware fine?

Before this post I didn't know they operated in various countries. I've ordered online from them once in UK. 7980XE. It works. I wish they cleaned it better as there was a load of old thermal paste on it, and under that paste was some liquid metal that nearly got in bad places.

It depends on the specific item but in my case that CPU was below ebay pricing plus they have warranty, which I wouldn't have got in private sales.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I have a P3 Plus from them, it was only operated for 80 something hours, reasonably used and are good on their return/warranty they provide

I got a 6700K as a present from there, seems to be running entirely fine and much cheaper than anywhere else to buy

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Been using a 8700k & 10500t for CeX for a while now without issue. There return policy is really good (in the UK at least) but the prices do reflect that. Also bought various VR headsets, laptops, PS3, and blu-ray players never had any issue. The main issue is the staff are inexperienced and often don't know how to test correctly, I've heard of a lot de-lidded CPUs being traded in i.e. 3rd gen CPUs sold as 9900K. 

It's also luck of the draw, for example you could get an i7 that was used once and never again, or one that was tortured with intensive programs. They both buy and sell for the same price, so there is no real way to control it. I can't imagine their testing is that thorough.

Apprentice Software Developer

6 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

It's also luck of the draw, for example you could get an i7 that was used once and never again, or one that was tortured with intensive programs. They both buy and sell for the same price, so there is no real way to control it. I can't imagine their testing is that thorough.

Yeah id assume its somewhat cosmetic and then a Y/N does it run test

System specs:

7 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Yeah id assume its somewhat cosmetic and then a Y/N does it run test

Probably not even cosmetic tbh, do they have their "A" "B" "C" grades for CPUs?

1 minute ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Probably not even cosmetic tbh, do they have their "A" "B" "C" grades for CPUs?

No, they dont

System specs:

15 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

No, they dont

Most beaten up i7 for £30 please!!!!

Price updating is really slow as well. Sometimes you can find new hardware cheaper. Especially CPUs and GPUs.

21 hours ago, Blasty Blosty said:

That's a risk with used items from anywhere though, unless you 100% trust the seller.

I did notice they don't sell motherboards presumably because it is too complicated for them to check.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

51 minutes ago, porina said:

That's a risk with used items from anywhere though, unless you 100% trust the seller.

I did notice they don't sell motherboards presumably because it is too complicated for them to check.

I was gonna sell them my old system, but yeah they don't take mobos and they gave me a horrible price for my CPU

51 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

I was gonna sell them my old system, but yeah they don't take mobos and they gave me a horrible price for my CPU

Oh they give shocking prices for hardware if youre selling to them, id only really take old games to them if i was gonna take anything, or anything i would just have thrown away anyway.

7900xtx nitro+, sells for £999.99 here, cex gives like £550 for it

System specs:

3 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Oh they give shocking prices for hardware if youre selling to them, id only really take old games to them if i was gonna take anything, or anything i would just have thrown away anyway 7900xtx nitro+, sells for £999.99 here, cex gives like £550 for it

Their profit margins must be funding all the Monster energy drinks the workers live on

3 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

id only really take old games to them if i was gonna take anything

One time I went to sell an old 360 game and they offered my 10p I was like might as well keep it then

In the UK all sold items come with a two year warranty with them.

I've bought CPUs, GPUs, Echos, ATVs, Apple watches, Sonos, only had an issue with a hard drive that they switched out.

Their buying prices are low, but if you are buying from them,take the credit and the deal works better.