When I buy a 9800X3D, will my B650M motherboard be enough to handle it?

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,
3 minutes ago, hanouzz said:

Well for example, using Microsoft Windows 11, my 7600X+7800xt combo gets around 50 fps in Minecraft (and 90 in Linux) with ATM9 (a modpack of around 430 mods) and Rethinking Voxels. I know that Minecraft is a more CPU-based game, so would it help there?
As far as other games, CS2, The Finals, Splitgate, Fortnite, Plague Tale Innocence, Cyberpunk 2077, DiRT 5, Elden Ring, and FH4+5 and FM8. I know it's a wide range but I think more of these are GPU based, unsure though. I get hundreds of FPS in these games on 1080p high, but I need to buy a 1440p 144Hz monitor, as right now I have a 1080p 75Hz monitor and a 1080p 60Hz TV. I won't upgrade until I have said monitor. So while the 7800xt will last for 1440p gaming for years to come, theoretically speaking, would I get more FPS in the Minecraft configuration I just described with the Ryzen 7 9800X3D?

Minecraft is basically always CPU and memory limited. The GPU is generally irrelevant unless we're talking something like a GT 710 or you're using mods that boost the graphics massively.

So, in theory, a future 9800X3D should improve your Minecraft performance.

For the other games you listed, it varies. For example, CS2 and Fortnite should benefit. Plague Tale and Cyberpunk probably won't, unless you're dropping visuals to try to push high FPS for some reason.

A fast way to get a rough idea is to look at your GPU utilization in a game. If it's consistently below 90%, you may be CPU limited, and such a situation should benefit from a CPU upgrade in terms of framerate.

My build link in advance, in case you need more info about the system

I am planning on buying the Ryzen 7 9800X3D a while after it comes out and they've worked out all the kinks, so it doesn't fry the socket like the 7800X3D used to do on certain boards. Right now I have an ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi and I love it. I use it with a 7600X processor and a 7800xt GPU (only because when I built it there was an actual price difference between that and the 7900 GRE.) Obviously, I will need to update the BIOS before installing the CPU

My questions are
Will my motherboard be fine for this?
I know that it will fit in the AM5 socket, but it won't need like an X670E or anything?

Will I need a more powerful GPU to keep up with this CPU or will my 7800xt still be fine?
Keep in mind this *is* a 1440p gaming rig, not 4k. I have no intent of upgrading to RDNA 4, as I have a feeling it will be boring, but I will see what RDNA 5 brings to the table.

5 minutes ago, hanouzz said:

I am planning on buying the Ryzen 7 9800X3D a while after it comes out and they've worked out all the kinks, so it doesn't fry the socket like the 7800X3D used to do on the certain boards. Right now I have an ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi and I love it. I use it with a 7600X processor and a 7800xt GPU (only because when I built it there was an actual price difference between that and the 7900 GRE.) Obviously, I will need to update the BIOS before installing the CPU

My questions are
I know that it will fit in the AM5 socket, but it won't need like an X670E or anything?

Will I need a more powerful GPU to keep up with this CPU or will my 7800xt still be fine?
Keep in mind this *is* a 1440p gaming rig, not 4k. I have no intent of upgrading to RDNA 4, as I have a feeling it will be boring, but I will see what RDNA 5 brings to the table.

You probably wont need an X670E but to be short and sweet, we dont know, it should be adequate, but we have no specs for the CPU so we cant tell you yes or no.

What is a possibility is differences in the chipset which may mean you need a different board or update chipset drivers aswell as the BIOS version, but thats still to be seen aswell

TLDR; we dont actually know yet, nor will we until we do

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

The Pro RS can handle CPUs up to the R9 7950X without much issue. This means that, unless the 9800X3D is super power hungry for some reason - which would be really weird, as previous 3D V-Cache CPUs have drawn less power to deal with the fact that the 3D V-Cache hurts cooling for the cores - then in terms of motherboard VRMs, you'll be fine.

The CPUs getting cooked in the socket was a motherboard problem, potentially exacerbated by the V-Cache, but not a consequence of the CPU itself. It was also fixed in subsequent BIOS updates. So as long as you update to the latest BIOS (which you have to do anyway) that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the 7800XT being "enough" - that entirely depends on the games you play, and what settings you target. For games like Fortnite, CS2, Apex Legends, Valorant, etc. at 1440p lowest/competitive settings, you'll be totally CPU bound, so the CPU should give you a performance boost. But for games like Alan Wake 2, The Last of Us Part 1, Avatar Frontiers of Pandora, etc. at High/Ultra settings, you're likely already totally GPU limited today with your 7600X - so a CPU upgrade would be futile.

All that said, this is with the assumption that the 9800X3D uses a similar amount of power compared to the 7800X3D and offers a performance uplift. We don't know either of those things for sure, so this is all speculation.

11 minutes ago, hanouzz said:

I am planning on buying the Ryzen 7 9800X3D a while after it comes out and they've worked out all the kinks, so it doesn't fry the socket like the 7800X3D used to do on the certain boards. Right now I have an ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi and I love it. I use it with a 7600X processor and a 7800xt GPU (only because when I built it there was an actual price difference between that and the 7900 GRE.) Obviously, I will need to update the BIOS before installing the CPU

My questions are

The ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi will be plenty for the 9800X3D if they keep the same power target as the 7800X3D. With the node shrink this is almost guaranteed.

Asrock has even released a BETA ( for now ) BIOS version that supports the upcoming Ryzen 9000 series on your B650M ( They will release a full non BETA version eventually )

ASUS has released a BIOS version for ALL their B650 motherboards to support the Ryzen 9000 series.

So the 9800X3D will fit in all B650 motherboards with a BIOS update 🙂

I will buy the 9800X3D for my own B650 motherboard when it comes out.

22 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

you're likely already totally GPU limited today with your 7600X - so a CPU upgrade would be futile

What do you mean by this? GPU limited by my 7600X? or did you mean CPU limited?

22 minutes ago, hanouzz said:

What do you mean by this? GPU limited by my 7600X? or did you mean CPU limited?

If you are playing GPU demanding games at High/Ultra settings, you will not be limited by your 7600X. The 7600X is as fast as an R7 5800X3D or i9 12900K for gaming. For GPU demanding games at 1440p, it's often overkill for a 7800XT.

You never told us what games you're actually playing, so we can't just assume that a CPU upgrade will help you.

If you're playing Alan Wake 2, for example, then even an ancient i7 6700K is going to keep up with no issues with your 7800XT at 1440p Ultra settings - the game just doesn't need that much CPU horsepower, especially if your GPU can't even push that many frames.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

If you are playing GPU demanding games at High/Ultra settings, you will not be limited by your 7600X. The 7600X is as fast as an R7 5800X3D or i9 12900K for gaming. For GPU demanding games at 1440p, it's often overkill for a 7800XT.

You never told us what games you're actually playing, so we can't just assume that a CPU upgrade will help you.

If you're playing Alan Wake 2, for example, then even an ancient i7 6700K is going to keep up with no issues with your 7800XT at 1440p Ultra settings - the game just doesn't need that much CPU horsepower, especially if your GPU can't even push that many frames.

Well for example, using Microsoft Windows 11, my 7600X+7800xt combo gets around 50 fps in Minecraft (and 90 in Linux) with ATM9 (a modpack of around 430 mods) and Rethinking Voxels. I know that Minecraft is a more CPU-based game, so would it help there?
As far as other games, CS2, The Finals, Splitgate, Fortnite, Plague Tale Innocence, Cyberpunk 2077, DiRT 5, Elden Ring, and FH4+5 and FM8. I know it's a wide range but I think more of these are GPU based, unsure though. I get hundreds of FPS in these games on 1080p high, but I need to buy a 1440p 144Hz monitor, as right now I have a 1080p 75Hz monitor and a 1080p 60Hz TV. I won't upgrade until I have said monitor. So while the 7800xt will last for 1440p gaming for years to come, theoretically speaking, would I get more FPS in the Minecraft configuration I just described with the Ryzen 7 9800X3D?

3 minutes ago, hanouzz said:

Minecraft is basically always CPU and memory limited. The GPU is generally irrelevant unless we're talking something like a GT 710 or you're using mods that boost the graphics massively.

So, in theory, a future 9800X3D should improve your Minecraft performance.

For the other games you listed, it varies. For example, CS2 and Fortnite should benefit. Plague Tale and Cyberpunk probably won't, unless you're dropping visuals to try to push high FPS for some reason.

A fast way to get a rough idea is to look at your GPU utilization in a game. If it's consistently below 90%, you may be CPU limited, and such a situation should benefit from a CPU upgrade in terms of framerate.

4 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

All of this makes sense, except for this part. Both my 7600X and my 7800xt are very under-utilized in games, to the point where I can crank up the graphics settings all the way if I please, and it normally *still* sit under-ultilized. Though that's probably because the 7600X and 7800xt were designed for much higher workloads than just 1080p 60Hz. Minecraft is like, the one game I don't enable VSync on.

2 hours ago, hanouzz said:

All of this makes sense, except for this part. Both my 7600X and my 7800xt are very under-utilized in games, to the point where I can crank up the graphics settings all the way if I please, and it normally *still* sit under-ultilized. Though that's probably because the 7600X and 7800xt were designed for much higher workloads than just 1080p 60Hz. Minecraft is like, the one game I don't enable VSync on.

Are you looking at the per core utilization for the 7600X? It's likely that just a few threads are pegged near 100% - many games are limited by single core performance.

13 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Are you looking at the per core utilization for the 7600X? It's likely that just a few threads are pegged near 100% - many games are limited by single core performance.

ohh okay yeah that makes sense