Monitor randomly got a vertical line, is there a fix or is it time to RMA it?

HatersKing

I was playing games one night when a single line of vertical pixels changed color, I tried unplugging it to power cycle it, left it off overnight and that fixed it short term, however the issue came back 12 hours later and i haven't been able to get it successfully go away again. I did some testing and this is what i got.

Gray = Yes - dark blue line

Red = Yes - Black line

Green = No

Blue = No

Black = yes - very faded red line

White = yes - bright blue line

My assumption is that something is wrong with the red part of the RGB in the particular column of pixels. My question for you guys is... is it worth tinkering with to try and fix it or should I just warranty it.

For reference is a Dell Alienware  AW2721D, and I do still have warranty for it. I have never worked with Dell's warranty department and wasn't sure how it would go.

Thanks all in advance for any advice. 

Monitor.jpg

1 hour ago, HatersKing said:

My assumption is that something is wrong with the red part of the RGB in the particular column of pixels. My question for you guys is... is it worth tinkering with to try and fix it or should I just warranty it.

For reference is a Dell Alienware  AW2721D, and I do still have warranty for it. I have never worked with Dell's warranty department and wasn't sure how it would go.

no, it is not worth tinkering with imo. it could be a pretty difficult fix, if possible at all diy, could be somewhat simple. but either way, if it's under warranty, definitely contact dell support for an repair/replacement. just my opinion. i never attempt repairs if under warranty, that's what they are for after all.

1 hour ago, HatersKing said:

I was playing games one night when a single line of vertical pixels changed color, I tried unplugging it to power cycle it, left it off overnight and that fixed it short term, however the issue came back 12 hours later and i haven't been able to get it successfully go away again. I did some testing and this is what i got.

Gray = Yes - dark blue line

Red = Yes - Black line

Green = No

Blue = No

Black = yes - very faded red line

White = yes - bright blue line

Thanks all in advance for any advice. 

Monitor.jpg

Good call doing some basic testing. The only other thing I can suggest before warranty is trying the monitor hooked up to another known-good working device, like another PC, or a game console. If the problematic line remains, it's 100% the monitor panel and should be covered under warranty.

When dealing with Dell, I've found getting support through their social media channels (Facebook or Twitter) to be much easier than a phone call. If the monitor is registered to your Dell.com account, you might be able to contact them via a support ticket from your account, too.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)