PCI Express gen 5 ssd

will a gen 5 ssd run on a gen 4 only motherboard at pci 4.0 speed, that way when I upgrade latter down the road i can just switch it out in my newer system that supports pci gen 5. and gain the performance increase?

Gigabyte X570 WIFI Board

Ryzen 3900X

16 Gigabytes of Ram

2080 Non-Ti FE

Windows 10 Home

3 minutes ago, SpaceOperator said:

will a gen 5 ssd run on a gen 4 only motherboard at pci 4.0 speed

Yes. 

4 minutes ago, SpaceOperator said:

that way when I upgrade latter down the road i can just switch it out in my newer system that supports pci gen 5. and gain the performance increase?

I mean, you can, but it's a bad idea. There are very few workloads that actually benefit from Gen 5 SSDs, and the Gen 5 drives are still extremely expensive. By the time they start to actually benefit workloads (if that ever happens, Gen 3 SSDs still have more than enough performance for consumer workloads), the drives will drop in price significantly, so spending more than double for a high end Gen 5 drive nowadays for performance you won't even see makes no sense when you can buy a good Gen 3/4 drive now and spend that ~$100 again in a few years when you can actually use Gen 5. 

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes. 

I mean, you can, but it's a bad idea. There are very few workloads that actually benefit from Gen 5 SSDs, and the Gen 5 drives are still extremely expensive. By the time they start to actually benefit workloads (if that ever happens, Gen 3 SSDs still have more than enough performance for consumer workloads), the drives will drop in price significantly, so spending more than double for a high end Gen 5 drive nowadays for performance you won't even see makes no sense when you can buy a good Gen 3/4 drive now and spend that ~$100 again in a few years when you can actually use Gen 5. 

Does it not give you better load times, I am still using a gen 3 ssd for my OS right now and have used it on games before and have noticed a difference than with it over a standard HDD, I never upgraded to a gen 4 just due to cost at the the time when they came out you just couldn't find a gen 4 ssd and when they came out they were pretty expensive. Now everyone makes one and the prices have gone down but I just haven't spent the money on one yet. So I have no first hand experience on how the speed and loading time on gen 4 ssd's are from gen 3 ssd's.

Gigabyte X570 WIFI Board

Ryzen 3900X

16 Gigabytes of Ram

2080 Non-Ti FE

Windows 10 Home

3 minutes ago, SpaceOperator said:

Does it not give you better load times, I am still using a gen 3 ssd for my OS right now and have used it on games before and have noticed a difference than with it over a standard HDD, I never upgraded to a gen 4 just due to cost at the the time when they came out you just couldn't find a gen 4 ssd and when they came out they were pretty expensive. Now everyone makes one and the prices have gone down but I just haven't spent the money on one yet. So I have no first hand experience on how the speed and loading time on gen 4 ssd's are from gen 3 ssd's.

Not significantly. Look here, all the reasonbly high end drives are extremly close in performance. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/crucial-t700-pro-4-tb/16.html

Its gonna be way faster than a HDD, but the pcie gen doesn't matter for almost all workloads.

16 minutes ago, SpaceOperator said:

Does it not give you better load times

In miliseconds if not nanoseconds, yes

I am still using a gen 3 ssd for my OS right now and have used it on games before and have noticed a difference than with it over a standard HDD

If you compare an NVME with a standard HDD, then of course you will notice a VERY BIG difference.

Even a SATA SSD is shit ton faster than a mechanical drive (HDD) (that's how shit HDD speed is)

After that (i.e : SATA SSD to NVME Gen 3) the real world speed difference for casual stuffs is miniscule, like around 3 seconds at most for boot time.

From a Gen 3 to Gen 4, the difference in boot time is like miliseconds.

For let's say, something like loading initial shaders and stuffs when a game launch, it's so far only like 1 second difference at most to me. And that's comparing SATA SSD to Nvme.

To fully take advantage of let's say a pro level Gen 3 drive or above's speed, you will need to transfer big sized file.

No, not folder filled with hundreds of tiny files kind of "big", like chonky file kind of "big".

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

If you are just chasing for faster load times, going from Gen3 -> Gen4 -> Gen5 is not going to be noticeable faster.

Going from HDD -> any form of SSD (even a SATA3 SSD) is a VERY significant change.

In the chart @Electronics Wizardy linked, the Crucial T700 is a Gen5 NVMe SSD. The WD SN580 is a lower-end Gen4 NVMe SSD. The difference is 0.9s.

You are not going to see... 33s vs 5s.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

6 minutes ago, SpaceOperator said:

Does it not give you better load times

Compared to a good Gen 3, no. Heck, a I've yet to notice a difference between a high end SATA SSD and a high end Gen 4 drive, let alone a Gen 3 and a Gen 4. Gen 5 drives are in an entirely different league of performance, but since nothing the average gamer does actually uses the extra bandwidth of the Gen 5 drives, they're rather pointless. 

For data center and other production workloads that actually use 12+GB/s of read bandwidth, they're a godsend, but for a gaming PC, they're overkill for no noticeable benefit. It's like getting a Ferrari just to head to the grocery store, it serves no real benefit and you would be much better off with something cheaper and more practical. 

So what you are saying is that there is no reason to pay a premium for something you cant even take advantage of, so you would be better off buying cheaper gen 3's to get more storage at an affordable price.

Gigabyte X570 WIFI Board

Ryzen 3900X

16 Gigabytes of Ram

2080 Non-Ti FE

Windows 10 Home

Just now, SpaceOperator said:

So what you are saying is that there is no reason to pay a premium for something you cant even take advantage of, so you would be better off buying cheaper gen 3's to get more storage at an affordable price.

Yes, that is exactly what all of us are saying. 

well thanks, that makes it better on me i can get more storage for the same price so I see it as a win

Gigabyte X570 WIFI Board

Ryzen 3900X

16 Gigabytes of Ram

2080 Non-Ti FE

Windows 10 Home

10 minutes ago, SpaceOperator said:

Essentially, yes.

A higher-end Gen3 or Gen4 SSD with more storage over a Gen5 SSD with lower capacity.

Also, Gen5 SSDs can run HOT when you push it. Gen3 and Gen4 typically runs cooler. 

Checking local pricing for me...

A Gen5 Crucial T700 2TB is $529, the 4TB model is $899.99...

Gen4 WD SN850X 2TB is $234.99 and 4TB is $434.99

Gen4 (tier below the SN850X) WD SN770 2TB is $189.99...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

If you don't benefit from max throuput these new SSDs can do like editing and so, no current reason to get. Games currently are not fully utilizing SSDs yet. Depends on local prices, maybe if some sale is on or it's not too much more.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |