Will a Windows install leave the existing files alone on my HDD ?

leclod

I'm trying to flash my Management Engine. Until now nothing worked, even MSI declared forfeit.

My current idea is to install a fresh Windows on one off my HDDs and retry from there.

First question : do I need to remove the current OS drive to do that or can I just have 2 Windows installed and switch ? I've had Windows messes in the past.

Second question : can I trust Windows to leave the existing folders and files alone on the drive where I'm installing ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

I don't trust the Windows installer with other drives available. Windows has a bad habit of sticking the boot partition or recovery partition on other drives. I haven't heard of it destroying data from a drive you didn't select, but I honestly wouldn't trust the Windows installer - it sucks.

When I do a fresh Windows install, I disconnect the other drives so that there is only one drive in the system that I intend to remove all partitions from and install it to that. That way, there can't be any shenanigans.

During installation, you should add another partition to the storage drive instead of installing to the existing partition - I've never done it before, but I would expect the files to be removed, especially if you're removing the existing partition anyway. Either way, you should retain a backup of your data if it's important enough to you - either the data itself, or the time involved to recover it.

On the question about having Windows installed in both the primary and secondary drive locations,  it is doable, but I would disconnect the primary/original drive to ensure Windows doesn't do anything with that. It shouldn't, but we want to make sure it's not going to get tied to that installation at all.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 hours ago, leclod said:

can I trust Windows to leave the existing folders and files alone on the drive where I'm installing ?

I wouldn't. Ive had it install stuff on other drives even though I didnt give it permission to do so. I always disconnect other drives before doing an install.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I wouldn't. Ive had it install stuff on other drives even though I didnt give it permission to do so. I always disconnect other drives before doing an install.

17 hours ago, da na said:

It'll leave those files alone. Although, it might put a recovery partition or boot partition on the drives you don't want it to. 

Ok, say I've got only one drive connected (not the current OS drive).

Can I trust Windows to leave the existing folders and files alone on that drive while installing Windows on that drive ?

I did start that operation yesterday but got a weird message that spooked me "windows couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"

(I have a solution, I've just realised I've got one more HDD connected to my TV 😀, that I can use)

Edit :

It worked

I disconnected all my drives and connected a spare HDD where I installed a new clean Windows.

(god hdds are slow !!)

From there I succeeded in upgrading the ME firmware to the latest.

Doesn't make sense to mark anyone as solution, so I don't.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

5 hours ago, leclod said:

Ok, say I've got only one drive connected (not the current OS drive).

Can I trust Windows to leave the existing folders and files alone on that drive while installing Windows on that drive ?

I did start that operation yesterday but got a weird message that spooked me "windows couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"

(I have a solution, I've just realised I've got one more HDD connected to my TV 😀, that I can use)

You can also resize partitions to create new ones. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch