Is it worth upgrading my Ryzen 2700X for 1440p / 60fps gaming?

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

I would recommend first upgrading the GPU, then seeing how games feel. If you feel like the CPU is holding you back, you can always upgrade then.

While eventually 5800X3D and 5700X3D chips will go out of stock, I don't see that happening in the next few months, so you've got plenty of time to make a decision. Even then, you've got the used market after that happens.

Hello all,

I've just ordered an RX 7800XT to replace my dying GTX 980Ti.

Now I am running a 2700X on a B450 ITX motherboard with 32GB of 3200Mhz Ram.

I am strictly gaming 1440P/60 fps, since my monitor is only 60Hz. (I know the 7800XT is technically overkill, but I want to keep the card for a while).

I'm wondering: should I upgrade my 2700X to a 5700X3D (keeping the same motherboard) while I'm at it, to utilize the 7800XT fully?

I'm thinking no, since the 2700X can still drive 60fps at Ultra in (almost) all games. So I won't be noticing any difference going to a 5700X3D? Perhaps in a couple years, when games get way harder to run, and my 2700X cannot sustain 60fps anymore, it would be worth upgrading?

Or am I missing something? Thanks!

4 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Hello all,

I've just ordered an RX 7800XT to replace my dying GTX 980Ti.

Now I am running a 2700X on a B450 ITX motherboard with 32GB of 3200Mhz Ram.

I am strictly gaming 1440P/60 fps, since my monitor is only 60Hz. (I know the 7800XT is technically overkill, but I want to keep the card for a while).

I'm wondering: should I upgrade my 2700X to a 5700X3D (keeping the same motherboard) while I'm at it, to utilize the 7800XT fully?

I'm thinking no, since the 2700X can still drive 60fps at Ultra in (almost) all games. So I won't be noticing any difference going to a 5700X3D? Perhaps in a couple years, when games get way harder to run, and my 2700X cannot sustain 60fps anymore, it would be worth upgrading?

Or am I missing something? Thanks!

Yea, if you are spending so much on a GPU, it would be pointless if you got a 2700x. You'd be bottlenecking your GPU. You would fully utilize it, and its just a waste of money. unless you r fine with that.

DEF worth it

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

I would recommend first upgrading the GPU, then seeing how games feel. If you feel like the CPU is holding you back, you can always upgrade then.

While eventually 5800X3D and 5700X3D chips will go out of stock, I don't see that happening in the next few months, so you've got plenty of time to make a decision. Even then, you've got the used market after that happens.