Is the Asus X13 (2022) any good?

Budget (including currency): 1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Notes , general browsing , causal games , casual editing

The X13 does have a R9 6900HS which isnpretty powerful and a 40w 3050 - which I can pretty much say is an overkill for my use

It does also have the light weight formfactor with a touch display which works with a stylus too

It feels like the perfect laptop for me , compared to the Z13s which only come with integrated and cost the same here

My only concern is it's longevity , considering how small it is , and the amount of power packed in it

Would this 2 in 1 laptop be able to last for atleast 6 years without hardware errors caused due to the heat generated by it

I'm pretty sure it's going to stay hot for most of the while , even if it does not thermal throttle

I consider this as a long term investment

Any suggestions, or alternatives , or breaking my misconceptions would be helpful

I have one, been using it since November. I actually had 2, and sold one to a close friend two days ago. We both love it. I'll go through some pros and cons. 

PROS

+ Lightest dGPU laptop maybe ever. It weighs about 1.3kg and is tiny.

+ 12 inch form factor with a 13.4" screen because of the 16x10 aspect ratio.

+ Really fast CPU, the 6900HS has no business being in something this small.

+ RTX 3050 is actually a capable 1080p gaming GPU even at 40w, thanks to DLSS upscaling.

+ 2-in-1 with a great screen. If 'not OLED' isn't a shortcoming, then this display has none. Touch integration is solid.

+ Doesn't actually run hot. If you're concerned about heat, you can set it to lower powr modes. On batter, on silent and eco (dGPU only) mode it's not even noticeably warm under load. Granted the clocks are severely limited but I notice no difference in every tasks or light productivity.

+ Battery life is surprisingly good.

+ G-Helper is an AMAZING alternative to Armory Crate and works WAY better to help control the laptop.

+ Option to use it as a desktop replacement when paired with the XG Mobile eGPU, which I am doing. I can play any triple-A title at 4k 60FPS with the 6850M XT external GPU and some upscaling.

+ Surprisingly decent speakers for a thin-and-light.

+ Fans are not that loud, even in turbo.

CONS  (minor)

- The trackpad is really small and there is a known QC issue which causes it to wobble. This can be fixed by just bending a tab behind the trackpad, and is permanently fixed in the 2023 version which I believe is a better laptop overall, and it has a 4060 which is way better.

- Some users experience an issue with waking the laptop from sleep mode, but this is caused by the ASUS Bloatware, and a clean windows install is recommended, as well as replacing Armory Crate with G-Helper. 

- No Windows Hello facial recognition. There is a fingerprint sensor, but I don't like them, so I just use a PIN. 

- While the XG Mobile external GPU is nice, the one most people get - the AMD one - is riddled with weird bugs and requires frequent troubleshooting. I'm selling my eGPU to build a PC because of the hassle.

On 4/18/2024 at 12:12 AM, Aereldor said:

+ 2-in-1 with a great screen. If 'not OLED' isn't a shortcoming, then this display has none. Touch integration is solid.

+ Doesn't actually run hot. If you're concerned about heat, you can set it to lower powr modes. On batter, on silent and eco (dGPU only) mode it's not even noticeably warm under load. Granted the clocks are severely limited but I notice no difference in every tasks or light productivity.

+ Battery life is surprisingly good.

CONS  (minor)

- The trackpad is really small and there is a known QC issue which causes it to wobble. This can be fixed by just bending a tab behind the trackpad, and is permanently fixed in the 2023 version which I believe is a better laptop overall, and it has a 4060 which is way better.

- Some users experience an issue with waking the laptop from sleep mode, but this is caused by the ASUS Bloatware, and a clean windows install is recommended, as well as replacing Armory Crate with G-Helper

Oo I see , interesting , so it's a really good laptop - especially for my use

I do have a few queries though as you are currently using it

Could you elaborate me on the experience of the Asus pen whcih comes along with the laptop in box?

Does it feel good to write? Palm rejection?

I usually don't game on the go - so I can still disable the 3050 while running on battery and run purely on integrated right?

How long does the battery generally last in your usage - I currently use a vivobook with an 8th gen i5(undervolted) and with complete control over the device I get around 6-7 hours of battery life with casual web browsing-youtube , PDFs , notes

I don't think I really can afford the 2023 version 😅 , but the wobble issue does not cause any weird glitches right?

My current laptop has this weird touchpad issue where the touchpad starts working on its own and moves in random directions (disabling it and using a mouse helps)

I took face the sleep wake issue in my Asus too - I think that is fine - also heard bout g-helper and how useful it is - I'll deffo use it

And finally this might be too much to ask 😅 , can it survive a drop - I tend to be clumsy at times - I've dropped my vivobook several times as of now - it survived though

On 4/21/2024 at 1:06 AM, RanchTheHay005 said:

Asus pen whcih comes along with the laptop in box?

Does it feel good to write? Palm rejection?

I didn't get one in the box, I bought the XG mobile bundle

disable the 3050 while running on battery and run purely on integrated

Yes. This is 'Eco mode'.

How long does the battery generally last in your usage

A full day at school of light use for me. 50% brightness + eco mode = around 8 hours.

can it survive a drop

It's built tough, not far off from tablet standards as a convertible. I've dropped it while in a bag with zero padding. No issues at all, not even a dent.

16 hours ago, Aereldor said:

I didn't get one in the box, I bought the XG mobile bundle

Oh I see , coz in a lot of unboxing videos I've seen it come with a stylus(sort of hidden within the laptop box)- even the website states the same (every version except the base model without the dGPU comes with one)

Did you make sure that the box was shredded to pieces and there was no stylus in it 🙂 ?

16 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Yes. This is 'Eco mode'.

A full day at school of light use for me. 50% brightness + eco mode = around 8 hours.

It's built tough, not far off from tablet standards as a convertible. I've dropped it while in a bag with zero padding. No issues at all, not even a dent.

Well that's great to hear ☺️ - hope I'll be able to get one before the stock runs out 😔

Thank you for your help though - I'll try updating ya when I get it 🙂

3 hours ago, RanchTheHay005 said:

Oh I see , coz in a lot of unboxing videos I've seen it come with a stylus(sort of hidden within the laptop box)- even the website states the same (every version except the base model without the dGPU comes with one)

Did you make sure that the box was shredded to pieces and there was no stylus in it 🙂 ?

Well that's great to hear ☺️ - hope I'll be able to get one before the stock runs out 😔

It's a different bundle, it's a sort of rare x13 variant with a 3050 instead of a 3050 ti, and with the 6850m XT xgm. 

4 hours ago, RanchTheHay005 said:

I actually have two, so if you can't get one I'm honestly happy to sell it to you if you're located in the US currently for well below MSRP, dm me if you want it

21 hours ago, Aereldor said:

It's a different bundle, it's a sort of rare x13 variant with a 3050 instead of a 3050 ti, and with the 6850m XT xgm. 

Oh I see

Good for ya then 🙂

21 hours ago, Aereldor said:

I actually have two, so if you can't get one I'm honestly happy to sell it to you if you're located in the US currently for well below MSRP, dm me if you want it

Ayy thanks man , I'll let you know if I cannot get one

It's currently sold at 1000 dollars here (84000inr)

But sure , thanks for the offer

On 4/24/2024 at 10:46 AM, RanchTheHay005 said:

Ayy thanks man , I'll let you know if I cannot get one

It's currently sold at 1000 dollars here (84000inr)

But sure , thanks for the offer

Crazy price for a 2022 x13, I listed it for $700 lol