Plex Stuttering (Not the playback, the software itself)

Go to solution Solved by Oddvar Ashborn,

Seems like i was able to fix this. Should anybody else have the same issue (and not just in Plex), i fixed by accessing the Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, "Program Settings" tab, select the affected program in the drop-down menu, and change "Monitor Technology" from "G-Sync" to "Fixed Refresh" and set "Preferred Maximum Refresh Rate" to Highest Available.
Then download Nvidia Profile Inspector, in the drop-down menu select the affected app (if it's not there, just click on the "sun" icon to create a new profile and then the Add Program button to go look for the program's exe), scroll down until you see the G-Sync stuff, and set it all to Off or, if available, Force Off.

That fixed it completely it seems, without the need of disabling G-Sync for everything else as well.

Hello folks,

so i'm facing kind of a weird issue here, let me quickly explain. Imagine you are on Plex, your mouse is on an empty space of the UI, if you move it, it moves according to your screen's refresh rate, just like it would anywhere else. BUT, as soon as your mouse interacts with ANY object on the UI, it's like the framerate goes down to like 15FPS for like 2-3 seconds after i last interacted with an object. So basically, by using Plex normally, i run it at 15FPS constantly, cause you always interact with objects on the UI (oh, the scrolling does the same thing, regardless of the mouse interacting with anything)

Fun fact, which makes this whole thing even more bizarre, i wanted to record a video for you guys as a visual aid, and i started recording using ShareX. During the recording, the issue COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS! It goes without saying that i can't keep recording 24/7 just not to have this issue, but i have no idea how to approach it.

Did any of you have a similar issue?

Thanks a lot

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

Possible bug.

Is it on windows or linux?

Are you using client or browser?

You can do cursed way using your phone to record.

Any way to acces to logs?

Might explain maybe why.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

59 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Possible bug.

Is it on windows or linux?

Are you using client or browser?

You can do cursed way using your phone to record.

Any way to acces to logs?

Might explain maybe why.

Windows, client (Plex for Windows).

I'm gonna try and record a video for you and also access the logs.

Forgot to mention though, i'm not entirely sure this is a Plex bug because the same thing usually happens on both Adobe PS and Premiere Pro now that i think about it (but way more constant). Perhaps this might help diagnose.

(Here's the video. As you can see, the mouse is moving smoothly, then i interact with one of the movies and the framerate just drops to something like 20FPS, and as you can see after a few seconds of not interacting with anything it goes back to normal)

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

Following a friend's advice, i've turned G-Sync off and tested it again (on Plex, Photoshop, etc), and the issue... is gone. Now clearly i can't leave it off, so i have no idea what to do now!

Seems like i was able to fix this. Should anybody else have the same issue (and not just in Plex), i fixed by accessing the Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, "Program Settings" tab, select the affected program in the drop-down menu, and change "Monitor Technology" from "G-Sync" to "Fixed Refresh" and set "Preferred Maximum Refresh Rate" to Highest Available.
Then download Nvidia Profile Inspector, in the drop-down menu select the affected app (if it's not there, just click on the "sun" icon to create a new profile and then the Add Program button to go look for the program's exe), scroll down until you see the G-Sync stuff, and set it all to Off or, if available, Force Off.

That fixed it completely it seems, without the need of disabling G-Sync for everything else as well.

Cheers mate, thank you for providing solution as well.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖