Laptop Stuck at 0.39GHz only when plugged in

I have a 2020 HP Pavilion Gaming 15 which has been working like a peach till last Thursday when my AC adapter decided to give up and fry some circuitry in my motherboard. I sent it to be professionally fixed and I got it back to see that the CPU was stuck at 400MHz or 0.39 GHz clock speed. I sent it back to the technician to no avail. He claims there are no hardware issues and I want to believe it. 

image.png.0bb1c0065c608c9d232a50e2f13b19c1.png

It's been stuck like this and I've even tried to stress test it by booting up Half-Life 1 with RTSS on in the background. The total wattage (CPU + GPU combined) was not crossing 20W.  

I know this is kinda a generic problem with a lot of laptops so I'm gonna give some details to narrow down what might be the issue.

My AC adapter kinda gave up and fried my power delivery IC on my laptop's motherboard so I had that professionally replaced and I hope that is not what is causing this problem but this started after I got the laptop from the technician. I really hope it's not a hardware issue and I can solve it with some debugging.

I'll list the steps taken to attempt to fix this:

- The pin on my new AC adapter is fine

- The same problem persists with a other adapters as well (According to the technician)

- Unplugged and plugged in the battery again incase it wasn't seeded in properly

- Changed power options

- Turned off Windows Fast Boot or whatever it's called

- BIOS was kinda reset because the CMOS Checksum wasn't right while I unplugged the battery

I've sent the laptop back to the technician and got it back 2 times and he didn't know what to do and asked me to reset Windows. I'm keeping this as a last resort as resetting windows with 400MHz as a clock speed doesn't sound like the best thing to do with my time...

Update 1:

I saw a video of someone with the same problem and I followed along. He basically went into the Registry Editor and changed the intelppm Start value from 3 to 4. Since I have an AMD processor I found the AMDppm and did the same, then restarted and now it's stuck at just below base clock. This is also the first time I'm restarting after turning off windows fast boot.

image.png.e789728116c2a31aea8a889656b11d08.png

I admit this is faster than the 400MHz I was dealing with before but It's still not in it's ideal working condition it was in before. 

are you using a new original charger for the laptop?
if you use an incorrect oem or a fake charger, this is usually what happens.

you can just bypass the throttling with a tool like throttlestop

Sounds like the laptop can't read the AC adapter properly, so it assumes it's running on the lowest capacity AC adapter available for it. That's usually either a bad AC adapter or a damaged charge port.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

12 minutes ago, da na said:

You can use ThrottleStop to force a higher clockspeed. Or, you can go into the Windows power management settings (Edit Power Plan) and try setting your minimum processor state when plugged in to 100%

image.png.3f5099a25bd9798500bcb894d8891a9d.png

Not wise if laptop is not receiving enough wattage

You can try live boot with Linux without installing it and try find out if its hardware or software issue.

If software then reinstall windows.

If hardware well good luck bud!

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

Just now, OhYou_ said:

are you using a new original charger for the laptop?
if you use an incorrect oem or a fake charger, this is usually what happens.

you can just bypass the throttling with a tool like throttlestop

I don't think it's a legit adapter but I just assumed the one they gave me was an OEM one since it had no branding except a sticker

I'll purchase a new adapter from the HP store and check it out and get back to you by tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Not wise if laptop is not receiving enough wattage

in almost all cases all it does is pull from the battery and the charger. you will notice the battery discharging if the charger cannot keep up.
electricity is not magic, you cannot pull more power from a charger than it is capable of putting out. if what it can do is not enough, it will shut off or voltage sag.
if it sags, it will never go below the battery voltage since the two are basically tied together

Just now, da na said:

You can use ThrottleStop to force a higher clockspeed. Or, you can go into the Windows power management settings (Edit Power Plan) and try setting your minimum processor state when plugged in to 100%

image.png.3f5099a25bd9798500bcb894d8891a9d.png

Throttlestop doesn't support AMD processors I guess and when I added a High Performance Power option this is what I get in the same menu

image.png.a0f30b608911a22104109564cbeb13fb.png

I had the AC adapter checked and it does produce the correct voltage using a multimeter. I'm not sure if it's a wattage issue tho. My friend has the same adapter I had. I'll go over to his house and try it out before buying a new one I think and see if it's the adapter that's the issue.

8 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

in almost all cases all it does is pull from the battery and the charger. you will notice the battery discharging if the charger cannot keep up.
electricity is not magic, you cannot pull more power from a charger than it is capable of putting out. if what it can do is not enough, it will shut off or voltage sag.
if it sags, it will never go below the battery voltage since the two are basically tied together

Well yes but aktually it does negative impact on battery if it's charging but can't keep up with the charge.

Never trust battery 100%

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

Update 1:

I saw a video of someone with the same problem and I followed along. He basically went into the Registry Editor and changed the intelppm Start value from 3 to 4. Since I have an AMD processor I found the AMDppm and did the same, then restarted and now it's stuck at just below base clock. This is also the first time I'm restarting after turning off windows fast boot.

I admit this is faster than the 400MHz I was dealing with before but It's still not in it's ideal working condition it was in before. 

22 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Sounds like the laptop can't read the AC adapter properly, so it assumes it's running on the lowest capacity AC adapter available for it. That's usually either a bad AC adapter or a damaged charge port.

The technician apparently changed the charge port and the adapter is in fine condition but the manufacture is questionable as it doesn't look original by any means. I'll try my friend's original adapter tomorrow and come back to you on that.

Just now, kapikap0906 said:

Update 1:

False alarm I think that regedit thing just forces your CPU into base clock. I changed it back and restarted to find it back to the state before.

Sorry for the wait I just checked with my friend who has the same charger and it still produces the same issue and I ended up resetting Windows as well to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.