how can i reactivate my windows 10 after changing my motherboard?

Edition Windows 10 Pro

Version 22H2

Installed on ‎29-‎06-‎2020

OS build 19045.4291

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0

Hi,above info is of my current windows os on my pc.  My windows 10 was a free upgrade from windows 8 several years ago. i purchased the windows 8 pro license from Microsoft. Now i want to change my motherboard. I lost windows 8 cd key. though windows activation showing - "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". so after installing new motherboard can i use activation troubleshoot to activate my windows 10 by transferring the license to the new hardware using my microsoft account which holds the digital license of that windows 10? or free upgrade to windows 10 after activating windows 8 on new motherboard?

on home tab of "ShowKeyPlus" app, it's showing my product ID(20 digits), installed key((25 digits)(there's an asterisk beside my installed key which says-*default key - requires a digital license for activation) and these-

product name: windows 10 pro

build version: 19045.4291(64bit os)

OEM key: OEM key not present in firmware

If the license is linked to a Microsoft account, you can usually activate Windows by simply logging in during the initial setup (or even afterwards).

You just need to install the Windows version that the key was last activated on (in your case Win10 Pro).

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

4 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

If the license is linked to a Microsoft account, you can usually activate Windows by simply logging in during the initial setup (or even afterwards).

You just need to install the Windows version that the key was last activated on (in your case Win10 Pro).

Yeah I did that have a W8 key from 2014 🤣

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

I've never had an MS linked account, but I did once swap out the mainboard from a laptop and had to *call* MS to transfer the license to new hardware. Ended up transcribing a 40 character alphanumeric code to move it. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 hour ago, OddOod said:

I've never had an MS linked account, but I did once swap out the mainboard from a laptop and had to *call* MS to transfer the license to new hardware. Ended up transcribing a 40 character alphanumeric code to move it. 

Don't you have that laying somewhere?

Tip save those code somewhere safe.

I believe windows 11 is free.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

23 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

I believe windows 11 is free.

It is not. MS sells licenses. 140 for Home, 200 for Pro.
Upgrades are free

23 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Don't you have that laying somewhere?

Tip save those code somewhere safe.

No, this wasn't an activation key, those are easy. There is a sticker on the laptop and you can extract it from the registry. This was a migration key

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup