Playing 4K movies from HDD on AV Receiver

Hi Folks,

I've got High Quality 500+ movies on my USB Hard Disk, and I'm planning to buy an AV Receiver (For e.g. Yamaha RX-V6A) to play them. The end goal is to build a home theatre. What will be the best way to play/stream my movies?

I have a 65" 4K Google TV (Sony X82L), and a high end PC (AMD 7800 X3D CPU + AMD 7900 XTX GPU). I researched a lot, but I didn't find a proper solution. I don't know if I should build a Jellyfin media server on my old laptop or is there some other way to play the movies using the AV Receiver. Please help guys.

Thanks and regards.

4 hours ago, RiddleX said:

Thanks and regards.

You need a pc to run plex or jellyfin server. That’s where you store all your media. Then you can use a built in app on your tv to access it. Plex will work for sure on a Sony. Not sure about jellyfin. Or you can use apps on a fire tv or Apple TV or shield. I recommend the shield since it’s the only device that does bitstream from plex and you are planning to use a receiver. 

A TV box may be grabbed to play these movies from this USB drive, then if you have proper speakers and an AV receiver with HDMI eARC pass-through functionality, they can be connected to both the TV and the box. I have, for example, an X96 X4 box to stream my contents on TV. The website AndroidPCtv can be referred to for further information about TV boxes.

The best device to use as a Plex playback client, unless things have changed, is the nvidia shield tv pro. You will want to instal Plex on a laptop or your gaming pc, use that as the server, and nvidia shield tv plugged into your receiver as the client. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

9 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

The best device to use as a Plex playback client, unless things have changed, is the nvidia shield tv pro. You will want to instal Plex on a laptop or your gaming pc, use that as the server, and nvidia shield tv plugged into your receiver as the client. 

I second that. I have a fair amount of content that is 1080p and the upscale on the shield is pretty good. Looks almost as good as true 4k content and can really only tell the difference in high movement. 

57 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

I second that. I have a fair amount of content that is 1080p and the upscale on the shield is pretty good. Looks almost as good as true 4k content and can really only tell the difference in high movement. 

Even more important is, as far as I know, the Shield TV Pro has the best support for codex. It will play more codex than anything else... at least as of ~2022 when I got mine. I am not aware of anythign that has beaten it since.

Cant wait for another version to come out.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Even more important is, as far as I know, the Shield TV Pro has the best support for codex. It will play more codex than anything else... at least as of ~2022 when I got mine. I am not aware of anythign that has beaten it since.

Cant wait for another version to come out.

It's been since 2019 when it was released. I wouldn't hold your breath with nvidia creating another one soon sadly. 

I use some Android media boxes for playing video files and ISOs from my NAS to my various TVs.  The requirement for playing ISOs of discs is a limiter for what devices I can use, if that's not a need you have then you may be able to get by with something else.

But I'm just talking out my ass.