Ethernet outlet/wall cable issue

sagii11

Hey everyone,

I recently moved to a new apartment and I have issues with my internet connection. The problem is I have 1000mbps internet,but my ethernet outlets on the wall only carry 100mbps. If I use my router directly with cable I get 1000mbps, problem is my desktop and the router is the complete opposite sides of the apartment, so I cant use a 15 meter long cable across the living room. I tried 5 different cables every one of them works 1000mbps from the router directly, but same 100mbps result from the wall outlet. (Also my WIFI is perfectly fine 500mbps) The building is fairly new (5 years old), can it be the cause of the problem the ethernet outlet not cat6 only cat5? Or theres a cable failure in the walls? I will probably contact my provider ASAP but I thought I'll post it here, maybe someone else had the same problem and Im missing something.

thanks for the replies

If its giving you 100mbps instead of 1gig, then most likely the Keystones are incorrectly punched down. I would pop the plate off and make sure they're terminated to the 568B standard on both sides. 

TIA/EIA 568-A

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, sagii11 said:

Hey everyone,

I recently moved to a new apartment and I have issues with my internet connection. The problem is I have 1000mbps internet,but my ethernet outlets on the wall only carry 100mbps. If I use my router directly with cable I get 1000mbps, problem is my desktop and the router is the complete opposite sides of the apartment, so I cant use a 15 meter long cable across the living room. I tried 5 different cables every one of them works 1000mbps from the router directly, but same 100mbps result from the wall outlet. (Also my WIFI is perfectly fine 500mbps) The building is fairly new (5 years old), can it be the cause of the problem the ethernet outlet not cat6 only cat5? Or theres a cable failure in the walls? I will probably contact my provider ASAP but I thought I'll post it here, maybe someone else had the same problem and Im missing something.

thanks for the replies

It's likely the wiring in the walls. If it is indeed bog standard CAT5 and not CAT5e or CAT6, then that could be your problem as regular CAT5 tops out at 100mbps. I would be really surprised that for a 5-year-old building, the builder would really cheap out and not use at least CAT5e. You can't get regular CAT5 anymore unless it's really old stock. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Cat5 can carry Gigabit, but there isn't as much room for error as there is with Cat5e.

I've seen residential installations where two of the pairs in a Cat5e run were not punched down to the jack. Instead, they were used for phone lines. (Gigabit Ethernet needs all four pairs to pass spec, but 100 meg Fast Ethernet only needs two.)

If all else fails, get yourself a long cable and run it along the baseboards. You might even be able to tuck it underneath the baseboard if you have carpeting.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, sagii11 said:

Hey everyone,

thanks for the replies

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

If its giving you 100mbps instead of 1gig, then most likely the Keystones are incorrectly punched down. I would pop the plate off and make sure they're terminated to the 568B standard on both sides. 

TIA/EIA 568-A

Do this. I moved this year to a 2 year old building. Every single room drop was wired differently (and incorrectly) I honestly think the installers just randomly put the wires in any way they wanted.

26 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Do this. I moved this year to a 2 year old building. Every single room drop was wired differently (and incorrectly) I honestly think the installers just randomly put the wires in any way they wanted.

Thats crazy considering the Keystones have the wiring codes on them... at least all the ones I've ever seen and used. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Unless someone cheaped out with CAT3 cable... i've seen that before but not that new building 😄

38 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Thats crazy considering the Keystones have the wiring codes on them... at least all the ones I've ever seen and used. 

They did, my only guess is that they were drunk or colorblind.

2 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I've seen some horribly abused keystones. Wires punched in random order, evidence the "cut" side of the punch blade was on the inside, wires un-twisted several inches away from the keystone, then punched from the outside in, keystones punched with a screwdriver...

Never underestimate the amount of effort brute ignorance will invest in completing a job improperly.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

at work years ago, we had so much trouble with the CAT5e wiring in a new buildout.

Until I took off wall plates and found that there was a solid foot of untwisted pairs past the keystones.

it was horrible

10 minutes ago, tkitch said:

at work years ago, we had so much trouble with the CAT5e wiring in a new buildout.

Until I took off wall plates and found that there was a solid foot of untwisted pairs past the keystones.

it was horrible

wow... you would think its common sense, color to color... I can see the untwisted pair as most don't understand its to ward off cross talk and EMI. My guess is it was old phone guys who did them since they knew how to punchdown, but obviously not know about Cat5e or ethernet specs. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

12 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

wow... you would think its common sense, color to color... I can see the untwisted pair as most don't understand its to ward off cross talk and EMI. My guess is it was old phone guys who did them since they knew how to punchdown, but obviously not know about Cat5e or ethernet specs. 

Of course it also meant I got stuck redoing *all* of the problem jacks around the office.  

Cuz the state had contractors do the work and they really didn't care