WD_Black NVME M2 Disk cannot be booted now; Disk appears as RAW

Hello there all!

Im facing this problem with my OS disk right now... 

My specifications are: 
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z790-A Wifi
OS Disk: NVME M.2 WD_Black sn770

OS: Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (I think... is there 23H2? ...)
(CPU, Graphics card, and secondary disks being some SSD and HDD).

This past week I have been experiencing random high disk usages at my OS disk, that would freeze Windows for some minutes. Events were showing there was some kind of problem with RAID disk E/S
Today after a freeze, I was just really tired of not being able to at least shutdown properly the PC, waiting for 15 minutes watching the freezed screen.... so I "hard shutdowned" it.. 

after waiting a bit, and trying to boot it again, as I did some other times this week (bcause, as I say, it is happening a lot theese days..),

I stumbled upon seeing that I could not boot the windows system on my NVME M2. 

It took a few tries for the motherboard BIOS to even recognize the disk. 

When trying to boot it, it says it does not have a bootable sector....

I took an SSD with windows 11 from an old computer, and when connecting it to the PC, and accessing the Disk Management, I can see how the NVME M2 disk appears: 
As "RAW" format, without being able to access its data, 
but showing the partitions: 
EFI system partition -100MB
Basic data partition - 1800GB RAW
Recovery partition -760MB
2MB Unallocated
all partitions show "correct" status

I wonder, if there is any way to recover the file system data, as well as to reuse the NVME M2 disk (WD_Black sn770) as system disk, again....

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

I can add the screenshots that show the info about the disk thorugh the DiskManagement of the booted Windows, at an old SSD

Thank in advice for any comment here! 🙂

What does CrystalDiskInfo show when viewing the WD Black SSD?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

23 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What does CrystalDiskInfo show when viewing the WD Black SSD?

The disk is not usable so crystal disk does not detect it......
I will post the mentioned captures ....: (sorry for them/system being in Spanish...)
At them:
We can see Drives at Disk Manager. As I said, Ive got 2 HDD (Disk E:\ & Disk D:\), an SSD (Disk F:\ ), and the OS Disk. 
(Disk H:\ is just a USB in FAT32 to transfer the captures captures). 

The "OS Disk" I was using was the M2 NVME SSD from WD_Black, model sn770, (Disk G:\ ) that is "dead". 
Now I plugged an old SSD with 120GB with an old windows install to be able to boot, at least...

Disk G:\ is not recognized by filesystem.. From the images below, is it posible to recover the data on the drive? 
I assume it is posible to format and use again... but I dont really want to do that T.T 
And ... I buyed this drive like 5 months ago, not more... is it really a defective drive? I know, "any drive can fail anytime".... but cmmn......
¿Wouldnt it be possible to fail again?
T.T

Using Partition Manager from the Windows OS booted trough     drive  C:\   (120GB SSD)
shows that    G:\
    Drive (The failing NVME M.2 from WD) is there; with the partition table "correct"; (Data partition is in RAW format)

Captura de pantalla 2024-04-14 114536.png

Therefore, Windows Cannot access data at the NVME drive, G:\

Captura de pantalla 2024-04-14 114725.png

( But it is being recognized by the sys, aye)

AND, CrystalDiskInfo is NOT showing the disk SMART.....:

Captura de pantalla 2024-04-14 114832.png

As I'm reading at other posts... 

Once a drive is not recognized and bootable, it is over for the data stored there....

...So, I lost 2TB of memories because of a factory defective WD_Black NVME SSD M.2 (5 months old)?  ............

(As it is shown, it is more or less detected.... and POST states it is also recognized; but Windows install there is not bootable and data is RAW.....)

More -additional- Info....: The failing WD_black M.2 NVME SSD Disk is plugged at the first M2 slot; The "top" one at the Mobo ASUS Prime Z790-A Wifi. 

3 hours ago, Leix said:

As I'm reading at other posts... 

Once a drive is not recognized and bootable, it is over for the data stored there....

...So, I lost 2TB of memories because of a factory defective WD_Black NVME SSD M.2 (5 months old)?  ............

(As it is shown, it is more or less detected.... and POST states it is also recognized; but Windows install there is not bootable and data is RAW.....)

More -additional- Info....: The failing WD_black M.2 NVME SSD Disk is plugged at the first M2 slot; The "top" one at the Mobo ASUS Prime Z790-A Wifi. 

If the BIOS can detect the drive, I don't see why CrystalDiskInfo can't detect it. Can you post a screenshot? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

8 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If the BIOS can detect the drive, I don't see why CrystalDiskInfo can't detect it. Can you post a screenshot? 

The last image above shows that; CrystalDiskInfo cannot detect Disk G:\

Windows Disk Management shows the disk (as seen in the previous images), with its Partition Table "correct", I assume...... (Data partition is in RAW format...)

The following captures show how it is (sometimes, if you unplug UEFI Windows USB and other "trys" ) detected at the BIOS of the mobo: Asus prime Z790......

IMG(3).thumb.jpeg.606beded8982ecc17daf98c439aac32d.jpeg

As I say, sometimes (if im not using a windows installation USB), the mobo is able to detect the drive in the Boot options.IMG(1).thumb.jpeg.4bab710488930402b42a4b7035927ae6.jpeg

AND, if I try to boot the WD_Black SN770....:
IMG(2).thumb.jpeg.897d4bcf9c6d7e2429cf102ff72af8e4.jpeg

(So i have to boot the system via the old Windows at the 120GB SSD)...

Thanks for your time helping me ❤️ 
I really appreciate it

Just now, Leix said:

The last image above shows that; CrystalDiskInfo cannot detect Disk G:\

CrystalDiskInfo is a utility that runs within Windows. Your last image does not even show CrystalDiskInfo at all.

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

CrystalDiskInfo is a utility that runs within Windows. Your last image does not even show CrystalDiskInfo at all.

I posted the Image of CrystalDiskInfo previously. So it was already posted; (AT THE BOTTOM of the previous quote; I've edited it so it is maybe more visible). 

12 hours ago, Leix said:

AND, CrystalDiskInfo is NOT showing the disk SMART.....:

Captura de pantalla 2024-04-14 114832.png

The new images show how BIOS is detecting it, (as I though you were asking for the bios ones.. bcause CrystalDisk one has been posted previously)
added to the previous ones, where even Partition table is clearly visible though Windows Disk Management, 
and where CrystalDiskInfo cannot access SMART from the disk. 

;

14 minutes ago, Leix said:

I posted the Image of CrystalDiskInfo previously. So it was already posted; (AT THE BOTTOM of the previous quote; I've edited it so it is maybe more visible). 

The new images show how BIOS is detecting it, (as I though you were asking for the bios ones.. bcause CrystalDisk one has been posted previously)
added to the previous ones, where even Partition table is clearly visible though Windows Disk Management, 
and where CrystalDiskInfo cannot access SMART from the disk. 

My apologies. I guess I missed it.

At this point, I would just RMA it back to WD.

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

My apologies. I guess I missed it.

At this point, I would just RMA it back to WD.

Np, thanks for your time buddy.

I saw on other posts at the WD community itself that noone offers help at that company... and if a drive / hardware piece from them fails, it is ..what it is. You paid for the product and accepted the possibility of it failing....... 

So IDK. I dont care abour buying a new one; I would like to try recover the data from it....

I will try contacting hardware department at my office to see if we got something to check the partition and clone it..... 
Will close post this with any update. 

8 minutes ago, Leix said:

Np, thanks for your time buddy.

I saw on other posts at the WD community itself that noone offers help at that company... and if a drive / hardware piece from them fails, it is ..what it is. You paid for the product and accepted the possibility of it failing....... 

So IDK. I dont care abour buying a new one; I would like to try recover the data from it....

I will try contacting hardware department at my office to see if we got something to check the partition and clone it..... 
Will close post this with any update. 

If it's under warranty, you should be able to make a claim. Don't know what country you're from, so it might be difficult to get a warranty claim going, but I'd still try instead of just giving up.

If the drive isn't properly showing up(even CrystalDiskInfo should show the drive, even without letters being assigned to it) and consistently, then checking the partition and cloning it seems unlikely, and it might cut out in the middle of a transfer). If the data could be directly read from the NAND, that's something totally different, but also requiring special equipment, and expensive equipment at that most likely. Any facilities that offer data recovery services for SSDs isn't going to be cheap.