Plugging AIO Pump in CPU FAN Header

Roland Daniel S.

So, we built my PC way back in may 2023. We couldn't find the AIO PUMP header on the mobo, so now currently the pump is in CPU FAN and the AIO fans are in CPU_OPT FAN.

Now, CPU FAN and CPU_OPT FAN don't have separate fan curve settings in BIOS, only a CPU FAN setting. It controls the fans (PWM). The system reports that the CPU_FAN header's connected device (which is the pump) is always at around 2360rpm. Which seems good on paper, but considering CPU FAN and CPU_OPT_FAN have the same control, I don't understand how that'd be possible when the fans (plugged in CPU_OPT) are actually changing speed.

Could it be a false report which would mean that the pump is not actually spinning at that level?

Btw

mobo: Asus TUF-B660m-plus Wifi D4

cpu: Intel Core I5-13500

AIO: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 ARGB

CPU temps are 30-40°C idle, and 70-80°C under heavier loads (although that's with fans going full blast at 75°C, but they're also fairly fast above 60°C; well basically a fan curve that one would use for an air cooler)

Also for the record I did find out where the AIO PUMP Header is but I didn't feel like taking my PC apart for now. Anyways, the question in bold is what I'd like to know.

i recommend connecting ur AIO to the CPU header for "alarm" purposes.

if ur pump stops ur bios will tell u at startup that CPU fan header is not "running" 

Connect the fans on the AIO to cha fan header and just control that head like it was cooling ur cpu, cuz it is 😄 

i feel like CPU opt is  more for 2 fans on the same place that need the same speed. not very usefull 😛 

On 4/12/2024 at 3:35 PM, Roland Daniel S. said:

So, we built my PC way back in may 2023. We couldn't find the AIO PUMP header on the mobo, so now currently the pump is in CPU FAN and the AIO fans are in CPU_OPT FAN.

Now, CPU FAN and CPU_OPT FAN don't have separate fan curve settings in BIOS, only a CPU FAN setting. It controls the fans (PWM). The system reports that the CPU_FAN header's connected device (which is the pump) is always at around 2360rpm. Which seems good on paper, but considering CPU FAN and CPU_OPT_FAN have the same control, I don't understand how that'd be possible when the fans (plugged in CPU_OPT) are actually changing speed.

Could it be a false report which would mean that the pump is not actually spinning at that level?

Btw

mobo: Asus TUF-B660m-plus Wifi D4

cpu: Intel Core I5-13500

AIO: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 ARGB

CPU temps are 30-40°C idle, and 70-80°C under heavier loads (although that's with fans going full blast at 75°C, but they're also fairly fast above 60°C; well basically a fan curve that one would use for an air cooler)

Also for the record I did find out where the AIO PUMP Header is but I didn't feel like taking my PC apart for now. Anyways, the question in bold is what I'd like to know.

Kind of difficult to say without knowing your fan curve and the minimum and maximum speeds you're seeing. 

As Kris said, put the pump on CPU_fan, and set it to a constant speed instead of a curve. If it's not too noisy for you, use 100%, or adjust according to the PC needs and the noise. 

Plug the fans into the pump or a cha_fan header, and set an appropriate fan curve. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Most pumps should just draw power and run 100% all the time, if you find a way to lower the pump speed you'll have a bad time. My board shows the cpu fan at 0% which is normal since the pump isn't reporting anything back

The only time I had to run a pump slower was with my h100 because I didn't bother with the rma to fix the factory issue of noise so I ended up doing a mod to run it off 5v moleslx to get it to run at a speed that keeps the fan at an appropriate speed constantly without having the CPU get top hot