What is using my RAM???!!

Hello everybody,

I have 16GB of memory, and as you can see I am only using about 8GB of it, and it is 92% full.

Can someone explain please?

Thank you.

image.png.a0fd267f29364150d83d04fa0930f8a9.png

8 minutes ago, da na said:

Well the first 3 processes in that list are using 9GB of your memory.

That leaves 6 gigabytes left over, used by the next processes in the list.

You aren't "only using 8GB". 

yes, the first 3 processes are using 9GB (sorry i cant do simple math), but the rest do not sum up to almost 7GB or even 6 GB!! What gives ?! 

You're playing a game that is clearly taking about 8GB already. What does the system use when you first start up or let the PC idle without any programs open? That is most likely the rest of the other 8GB being used by the system and other programs. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 hours ago, agent z said:

yes, the first 3 processes are using 9GB (sorry i cant do simple math), but the rest do not sum up to almost 7GB or even 6 GB!! What gives ?! 

Check whether any memory is shown as hardware reserved. Also check Resource Monitor, it gives a more detailed breakdown of memory usage.

For what it's worth, summing up all processes visible in your screenshots amounts to roughly 10 GB (62% of 16 GB)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

49 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Check whether any memory is shown as hardware reserved. Also check Resource Monitor, it gives a more detailed breakdown of memory usage.

For what it's worth, summing up all processes visible in your screenshots amounts to roughly 10 GB (62% of 16 GB)

Yesss 10GB .. God bless u for that.

and no i dont have any memory hardware reserved.

Also, i have never used the Recourse Monitor, so i am really unsure about what to do in there !!

6 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

9 hours ago, da na said:

The OS will use around 2GB on its own. 

9 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

You're playing a game that is clearly taking about 8GB already. What does the system use when you first start up or let the PC idle without any programs open? That is most likely the rest of the other 8GB being used by the system and other programs. 

here it is without the game. The math just doesn't add up.

image.thumb.png.427e4a73df30b1fd7dab736586cd143b.pnghere is

11 hours ago, agent z said:

Also, i have never used the Recourse Monitor, so i am really unsure about what to do in there !!

Open it, go to the Memory tab, expand the Physical Memory subsection, take a screenshot. Maybe also check RAMMap from Microsoft's Sysinternals, it can show how much RAM is used by drivers etc. Task Manager doesn't list memory used by things like Virtual Machines, drivers etc. under Processes

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

probably some hidden tasks? 🤷‍♂️

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)