My SouthBridge is pegged at 81C while idling. Is that Ok?

theRatty
Go to solution Solved by thrasher_565,

looks like boith rads are intaking? could be dumping all the heat in to the case... with looks like 2 fans exhaust?

try removing the side pannal an d see what that dose.

I have a super chilly system with four thick rads and over twenty fans and my GPU sits comfortably at 40c and CPU at 70 (the x3ds are really hot)

I never noticed but apparently My southbridge gets really toasty on my asrock taichi x570? specs in bio

That's acceptable but on the borderline of dangerous. I'd start to worry if it got into the 90s range. But that is very hot for a southbridge, considering that chipset is in fact doing very little. Note that southbridge temp will change very little with PC load, seeing as all it handles is I/O - not controlling memory or PCIe lanes or etc.

I'd have to ask where those 20 fans are pointing. Sounds like you are watercooling, I'd assume most of the fans are exhaust.

MB manufacturers unfortunately put cheap tiny heatsinks on the southbridge most of the time and expect there to be enough case airflow to cool it. Same is often true for VRMs - they get a lot hotter when there is no airflow from a CPU air cooler going across them. Issue might also be that you have a lot of fans all at a very low RPM when it would be ideal for southbridge temps to have a couple fans at higher RPM.

So all that said, I would not worry too terribly much, but if you start to get into the high 80s on that chipset, might want to point another fan at it. 

Posted (edited)

looks like boith rads are intaking? could be dumping all the heat in to the case... with looks like 2 fans exhaust?

try removing the side pannal an d see what that dose.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ohhh. ohhhhhhhh oh im really dumb. I knew which direction the air came in but in my mind I was like ohhhhh the fans at the top I can see the back therefore they are exhaust lmao no spatial thinking. well.... gonna fix that

10 minutes ago, theRatty said:

ohhh. ohhhhhhhh oh im really dumb. I knew which direction the air came in but in my mind I was like ohhhhh the fans at the top I can see the back therefore they are exhaust lmao no spatial thinking. well.... gonna fix that

How to Manage Your PC's Fans for Optimal Airflow and Cooling

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

i c 12 fans.. where are the rest?.. 

it seems to be a drain port so atleast it's easier to drain that loop 😄

On 4/10/2024 at 8:29 AM, Robchil said:

i c 12 fans.. where are the rest?.. 

it seems to be a drain port so atleast it's easier to drain that loop 😄

8 on the right (four per rad), 6 per rad on the top for 12, two on the left

1 hour ago, theRatty said:

8 on the right (four per rad), 6 per rad on the top for 12, two on the left

ohh.. 2 360 up top?.  sick.. never seen that in anyone's build 😄.. will work better if they are exhausting i think.. 😄

what case is it? 

9 hours ago, Robchil said:

ohh.. 2 360 up top?.  sick.. never seen that in anyone's build 😄.. will work better if they are exhausting i think.. 😄

what case is it? 

yeah im so dumb about the exhaust lol literally saw the back of the fans and I was like yep, that means those are exhausts meanwhile they are pointed into the case lmaoooo Its the corsair 1000D Do NOT buy it anymore they no longer make replacement drive sleds or essentially anything else for it so its a massive pain.

7 minutes ago, theRatty said:

yeah im so dumb about the exhaust lol literally saw the back of the fans and I was like yep, that means those are exhausts meanwhile they are pointed into the case lmaoooo Its the corsair 1000D Do NOT buy it anymore they no longer make replacement drive sleds or essentially anything else for it so its a massive pain.

ah.. no worries.. i have a TT AH T600.. with 3 rads.. and 13 fans.. 

5 minutes ago, Robchil said:

ah.. no worries.. i have a TT AH T600.. with 3 rads.. and 13 fans.. 

cool, nice case

• 2 weeks later...

oh my god, just reversed the fans which is not a simple task with that PC, carrying it down from the shelf, emptying the rads, removing the cables on every fan (24), flipping them and screwing them back in 96 screws, plugging 24 cables back in, cable manage, refit pipes, leak test, refill, put back on shelf, start and test.

ITS FREAKING 56 DEGREES NOW