Monitors shut off during FPS games, will only turn back on if I restart the system.

Posted (edited)

Build:

AMD Ryzen 5600x, Zotac Rtx 3070, 1 Tb nvme ssd, 16 gb ddr4 3200 MHz RAM, EVGA 650 GA PSU, monitors are an LG ultrawide 1440p and a Dell 1200p

I've looked into this a bit, originally the cpu was overheating so I swapped to a Fuma 3 cpu cooler and a corsair 3000D airflow, now I know the temps aren't the issue as I've monitored using NZXT CAM and CPU was never above 65 C and gpu was never above 75 C. I tried downloading new gpu drivers but it didn't change anything. Event log only reported event 41s for critical which seem to be me restarting the system. Everything was unplugged, uninstalled, and put in a new case so I don't think its a wiring problem. My understanding is its probably between gpu and psu, I've heard that 3000+ series cards can have wattage spikes but I can't imagine that's it, all the calculators say I should be looking at around 450 Watts of usage on a 650 watt supply. Is there anything anyone can think of for what could be causing this? It happens on Valorant, Siege, and Apex, but not games like stardew or valheim.

Edited to add that I still get audio through my headphones but nothing on monitors.

Edited by bulletpfrglas

does the computer have a motherboard in it

4 minutes ago, ShowmanTheMoney said:

I have actually been having this issue with my watercooled RTX 3080. I had to edit the GPU Timeout Detection in Registry Editor and now it is working properly. Here is a link to the instructions I followed: https://manual.notch.one/0.9.23/en/docs/faq/extending-gpu-timeout-detection/

a gpu driver can crash for a lot more reasons than a registry error.

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2024 at 8:56 PM, emosun said:

does the computer have a motherboard in it

MSI B550M pro-vdh wifi

On 4/6/2024 at 9:14 PM, ShowmanTheMoney said:

I have actually been having this issue with my watercooled RTX 3080. I had to edit the GPU Timeout Detection in Registry Editor and now it is working properly. Here is a link to the instructions I followed: https://manual.notch.one/0.9.23/en/docs/faq/extending-gpu-timeout-detection/

I tried this and after quite a bit of testing it has not helped, it now is doing it even with games it previously wasn't

35 minutes ago, bulletpfrglas said:

MSI B550M pro-vdh wifi

that board has had 22 bios updates since release , have any of them been applied?