D30's just killed another fan header :(

NorKris

My D30reverse trippel pack just killed another fan header. we up to 2 now 😕  be aware

(in a year) .. most expensive fans i ever had by a mile 😂

57 minutes ago, NorKris said:

My D30reverse trippel pack just killed another fan header. we up to 2 now 😕  be aware

(in a year) .. most expensive fans i ever had by a mile 😂

That's strange, they are not high current fans.  I'd have to wonder if this is not a motherboard fault, rather than the fans causing it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's strange, they are not high current fans.  I'd have to wonder if this is not a motherboard fault, rather than the fans causing it.

101% its not the motherboard 😄 

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

101% its not the motherboard 😄 

How can you be so sure?  Surely there would be posts all over the web if these fans were causing issues.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

How can you be so sure?  Surely there would be posts all over the web if these fans were causing issues.

they have allways been connected to commander pro's, and its these headers that is now dead 😛 

10 minutes ago, NorKris said:

they have allways been connected to commander pro's, and its these headers that is now dead 😛 

Then the commander pros are the problem.

Are all three running off the same port?  I see several Google results suggesting no more than 2 fans per port or else it blows the 12v line on the port.  Though its still a bit strange given some fans will pull more power than all three of those combined.

7 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Then the commander pros are defective then?

i have 3 of them,  first dead header is on the  Cmd pro (1), that has seen: 
P12
p12 ARGBs
Cm mobius
CM mirrage fans

CM 120f's

CM 200m ARGBs 

CM SF 360R
corsair MLs
corsair HDs
corsair QL's

noctua 12x25

no issues right, 

when header 1 died i moved the D30's to the other Cmd pro (2) and this unit was just for pumps (just for the PWM signal) meaning that the D30s had all the Amps (4,5total) 1A per header for itself.  now i have a dead port on Cmd Pro (2) also 

3 hours ago, NorKris said:

i have 3 of them,  first dead header is on the  Cmd pro (1), that has seen: 
P12
p12 ARGBs
Cm mobius
CM mirrage fans

CM 120f's

CM 200m ARGBs 

CM SF 360R
corsair MLs
corsair HDs
corsair QL's

noctua 12x25

no issues right, 

when header 1 died i moved the D30's to the other Cmd pro (2) and this unit was just for pumps (just for the PWM signal) meaning that the D30s had all the Amps (4,5total) 1A per header for itself.  now i have a dead port on Cmd Pro (2) also 

I suspect the issue is with the Commander Pro then, 3 fans rated at max 0.45A shouldn't kill a PWM header

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

I suspect the issue is with the Commander Pro then, 3 fans rated at max 0.45A shouldn't kill a PWM header

so 2 of them?
keep in mind that the CM 200 fans are 0,84 and doing fine 🙂 

7 minutes ago, NorKris said:

so 2 of them?
keep in mind that the CM 200 fans are 0,84 and doing fine 🙂 

2 fans or 2 group of 3 fans ? 2 groups are above the max 2A a PWM header is rated for

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

2 fans or 2 group of 3 fans ? 2 groups are above the max 2A a PWM header is rated for

u suspect an issue with the CMD pro, we cant rule that out 100% but if we point that way we have to accept that the D30's (3 on one header) has killed port4  on CMD pro (1)  and  port1  on Cmd Pro (2) 

and knowing that the only thing killing a fan header being too high Amp draw, that must mean  CM is lying or phanteks is 😛 

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

u suspect an issue with the CMD pro, we cant rule that out 100% but if we point that way we have to accept that the D30's (3 on one header) has killed port4  on CMD pro (1)  and  port1  on Cmd Pro (2) 

and knowing that the only thing killing a fan header being too high Amp draw, that must mean  CM is lying or phanteks is 😛 

Yeah

Only way to know is to put the x3 D30s directly on a third header 🙂

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Yeah

Only way to know is to put the x3 D30s directly on a third header 🙂

i made a splitter for them,
the dmg is:  the port cant give 12v anymore. and it has some issues with getting the RPM correct 

image.png.ea6100bfd7f1f80e6aaf4af5d8a46e8c.png

Posted (edited)

use a multi meteor to see how much it pulls. 3 fans may be too much.

mb are rated for like 1 amp dont no about the cp thow... they are stat witch is less then molex. a post said 4ish amps.

the aquacomputer controller is a fan controller fist and argb second were cp is the other way around.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

3 fans may be too much

this would be what we call wrong 😛

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

mb are rated for like 1 amp dont no about the cp thow... they are stat witch is less then molex. a post said 4ish amps.

4.5 total and/or 1a per header 

2 minutes ago, NorKris said:

this would be what we call wrong 😛

4.5 total and/or 1a per header 

well i would pull power from the psu instead and pwm to the controller

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

well i would pull power from the psu instead and pwm to the controller

great minds thinks alike😛

image.png.91111129dce9d8ff19c5b38c3c9a07ab.png

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

oh and it still killed it or is that the fix? haha

7 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

oh and it still killed it or is that the fix? haha

pulling PWM and RPM from the  dead port and power from psu  with be in the workaround  category? 😂

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, NorKris said:

pulling PWM and RPM from the  dead port and power from psu  with be in the workaround  category? 😂

ya but we need to no if the fans are faulty or controller... 🤷‍♂️

we dont no at some point you might have over amp the controller...

i once had a 5.25 controller and had like 40 fans run off of it and it worked but it was making a busing nosie...🤷‍♂️

after that my rad fans ran pwm tac to mb and power to the psu.

Edited by thrasher_565

15 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya but we need to no if the fans are faulty or controller... 🤷‍♂️

do you rlyyyy think that i would make the topic under the name that i did if the fans where dead? 🤓

16 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

we dont no at some point you might have over amp the controller..

would be very hard to find out 😕

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, NorKris said:

do you rlyyyy think that i would make the topic under the name that i did if the fans where dead? 🤓

would be very hard to find out 😕

all i no is there a problem some where... there could be something in the fan or in the controller or even the software. the cp could be out of warranty and things are made to not work after it 🤷‍♂️

funny my fist fans for my build i got coolermaster rgb fans becuse i dint realy understand argb fans and i got 2 sets of 3 for $75 each. well 2 fans had bad barrings in them... what odds... and i was planing to fill my case with them like atles 20 of them...🤷‍♂️ funny my orignal build had no argb/rgb in it till i got to the fans... i did try and look for some gt or 30mm/38mm fans was on aliybaba witch was a wast of time... there was a website that sold server fans (dont remember the site) but didn't buy any... the i got corsair hd fans. and well lead me down argb rabbit hole...because you no propriatray connectors...

the rgb controller worked fine thow so there that.

fan1.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

22 hours ago, NorKris said:
22 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

3 fans may be too much

this would be what we call wrong

He said "may", not is. 

22 hours ago, NorKris said:

And what was the result?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

21 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

He said "may", not is. 

fair but its been pointed out in the thread already that 3 of them is fine 

22 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

And what was the result?

the 4 wires is split into 
 12v and ground -> psu

pwm and rpm -> to the cmd pro port

the port has some read RPM issues + 12v is dead