Microphone for gaming without a headset.

idiocracy

I am looking for microphone, one that can be used for voip while gaming. I game without a headset, i wear glasses and that appears to be a major issue. I presently have a pair from Turtlebeach, which have glasses support, but it still becomes really uncomfortable after about an hour.

So i have looked into microphones that could just stand on the desk. But most appear to be designed for a boom, which i don't want. I have found this, Delock 65871.

Anyone have experience with these types of mics?

image.jpeg.cbf619185a6c4b976df317d2a3e4c0e5.jpeg

Nope....Just nope.

Budget?

Something like the Yeti Nano or Seiren Mini come with a stand to sit in front of you. 

Those microphones are meant for conferencing, and are notoriously poor for sound quality. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I've been using this kind of mike for about 5 years now, and it works fine if it's just for being heard over Discord (or whatever your voice chat of choice is).
Probably gonna swap for a jack one though, current one has issues with the new PC - LED turns on at startup but mike is muted, gotta "mute" it and then unmute it for to to work.

Samson's Meteor mic has been outstanding for the past 4 years i've owned it. There might be slightly better sounding USB mics out there but for durability the Meteor is crazy, it's survived a crazy amount of falls and still works perfectly (not even any cosmetic marks) and as an added bonus the manual the Meteor comes with is an AMAZING beginners guide to using microphones. I don't recommend many Samson products but the Meteor is the perfect beginners mic.

I have the FIFINE AM8 and it's been perfect. Plug and play. Both XLR and USB-C (I use this one). No fiddling with settings. I enjoy the touch sensitive Mute button, and the RGB can be turned off. Friends tell me my voice sounds fuller and podcast-y after upgrading from a 12yr old ModMic. Currently using for Helldivers 2 and Discord.

Any reason you don't want a boom arm option? I didn't think I wanted it until I finally own one and I like being able to swing it out of the way after a gaming session.

AM8T is the same microphone, but instead of a stand, it's a boom arm.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

15 hours ago, Slottr said:

Budget?

Something like the Yeti Nano or Seiren Mini come with a stand to sit in front of you. 

Those microphones are meant for conferencing, and are notoriously poor for sound quality. 

Budget, about 100€ or less. I have looked at similar microphones like the yeti nano, hyperx etc. Problem is that the stand is way to short, low. Sitting on the desk it is also too far from your face, so you have to crank the gain, and now it'll pick up keyboard and probably also the game you're playing. That's just going to be annoying for those you're playing with.

I watched a bunch of reviews, and this appear to be very general for cardioid microphones. For reference:

The kind i'm looking for is higher off the desk, closer to face, and more directed. But i also don't want it to sound like crap.

15 hours ago, Aleph256 said:

I've been using this kind of mike for about 5 years now, and it works fine if it's just for being heard over Discord (or whatever your voice chat of choice is).
Probably gonna swap for a jack one though, current one has issues with the new PC - LED turns on at startup but mike is muted, gotta "mute" it and then unmute it for to to work.

What brand and model is that?

13 hours ago, Cocococo said:

Samson's Meteor mic has been outstanding for the past 4 years i've owned it. There might be slightly better sounding USB mics out there but for durability the Meteor is crazy, it's survived a crazy amount of falls and still works perfectly (not even any cosmetic marks) and as an added bonus the manual the Meteor comes with is an AMAZING beginners guide to using microphones. I don't recommend many Samson products but the Meteor is the perfect beginners mic.

I will look into that one.

5 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

I have the FIFINE AM8 and it's been perfect. Plug and play. Both XLR and USB-C (I use this one). No fiddling with settings. I enjoy the touch sensitive Mute button, and the RGB can be turned off. Friends tell me my voice sounds fuller and podcast-y after upgrading from a 12yr old ModMic. Currently using for Helldivers 2 and Discord.

Any reason you don't want a boom arm option? I didn't think I wanted it until I finally own one and I like being able to swing it out of the way after a gaming session.

AM8T is the same microphone, but instead of a stand, it's a boom arm.

I prefer usb as i do not have any xlr equipment.

Boom is just an eye soar. Would prefer to avoid it.

Nope....Just nope.

1 hour ago, idiocracy said:

I prefer usb as i do not have any xlr equipment.

1 hour ago, idiocracy said:

The kind i'm looking for is higher off the desk, closer to face, and more directed. But i also don't want it to sound like crap.

Seems like you just want any microphone + this desk stand.

https://www.amazon.com/InnoGear-Adjustable-Microphone-Weighted-Threaded/dp/B086PG669X/

The 6th Amazon picture shows a threaded end at the tip of the extension. So for the FIFINE, you would unscrew where the metal/silver transitions into the black microphone yoke, and then you attach it to the desk stand.

https://www.amazon.com/FIFINE-Microphone-Podcasting-Voice-Over-AmpliGame-AM8T/dp/B0C74GYW3J/

It has BOTH XLR and USB-C. That means you can use only USB-C if you want. I don't have an XLR interface either.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

3 hours ago, idiocracy said:

What brand and model is that?

This one (2018 revision).