Quiet, High CFM, Not Delta Fan help

equalexpert

Hi all

Been watching the videos, reading the spec sheets and in the forums but cant quite pin down a good recommendation.

I have an older version of this case. It has the same layout and fan wall that sits behind the drive bays. It uses these fans which came with it. 

Now the server is loud when in power save mode so i can work on my desktop just by the rack however its still more audible that id like. I tried upgrading it with these noctua fans and while very much quiet they don't move enough air to the point when i swap the original fans back in theres a 20C difference on my nvme drives.

Now i know im going to have some noise but any suggestions on fans for behind the drive wall? Even if the noise is just less high pitched and more a deeper rumble to take the edge off. 

So far im leaning towards the noctua industrial 3000rpm fans but open to other suggestions given the price of those

2 minutes ago, equalexpert said:

Hi all

Been watching the videos, reading the spec sheets and in the forums but cant quite pin down a good recommendation.

I have an older version of this case. It has the same layout and fan wall that sits behind the drive bays. It uses these fans which came with it. 

Now the server is loud when in power save mode so i can work on my desktop just by the rack however its still more audible that id like. I tried upgrading it with these noctua fans and while very much quiet they don't move enough air to the point when i swap the original fans back in theres a 20C difference on my nvme drives.

Now i know im going to have some noise but any suggestions on fans for behind the drive wall? Even if the noise is just less high pitched and more a deeper rumble to take the edge off. 

So far im leaning towards the noctua industrial 3000rpm fans but open to other suggestions given the price of those

Noctua NF-A14 PWM

be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Corsair ML140 Pro

Arctic P14 PWM PST

These models could be good options to replace the original fans in your case and provide a quieter environment while maintaining good airflow for your NVMe drives.

The P12 Max is usually probably worth looking at, they're cheap ($36 gets you a 5 pack), higher RPM while not being too loud, and pretty good static pressure and CFM, up there with some of the best performing fans you can get (not the best, that title belongs to something like the A12x25 or Phanteks T30, but close). 

They still will likely be significantly worse than the fans you're using though, there's no getting around that. This is probably just the best cost to performance ratio you're going to get if you don't want it to sound like a jet engine. 

4 minutes ago, BoomerL4D said:

Noctua NF-A14 PWM

be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Corsair ML140 Pro

Arctic P14 PWM PST

These models could be good options to replace the original fans in your case and provide a quieter environment while maintaining good airflow for your NVMe drives.

Thanks for the suggestions but these are 140s so wont fit unfortunately 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The P12 Max is usually probably worth looking at, they're cheap ($36 gets you a 5 pack), higher RPM while not being too loud, and pretty good static pressure and CFM, up there with some of the best performing fans you can get. 

They still will likely be significantly worse than the fans you're using though, there's no getting around that. This is probably just the best cost to performance ratio you're going to get if you don't want it to sound like a jet engine. 

I did look at those, they got pretty good reviews. Yeah nothing i dont think will beat the stock fans. im ok with a few C raise in temps if the noise goes down but 20C is a bit much. i might have to give them a try too

Like @RONOTHAN## said there really isn't much better. Noctua has their F series that focuses on static pressure, but IIRC the Redux P12s are based off the older version of that fan anyways, so they're already pressure optimized fans. You do *not* want the 3000rpm iPPC fans if you're trying to avoid jet engine noises. I have 'em in 140mm form, they are very much a jet engine when spun up. 

We haven't invented a way to ignore physics, so pushing air harder requires more force, and we get that by spinning fans faster. There's only so much you can do with the blade design itself. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Like @RONOTHAN## said there really isn't much better. Noctua has their F series that focuses on static pressure, but IIRC the Redux P12s are based off the older version of that fan anyways, so they're already pressure optimized fans. You do *not* want the 3000rpm iPPC fans if you're trying to avoid jet engine noises. I have 'em in 140mm form, they are very much a jet engine when spun up. 

We haven't invented a way to ignore physics, so pushing air harder requires more force, and we get that by spinning fans faster. There's only so much you can do with the blade design itself. 

Yeah in an ideal world it would all be passive haha. Just trying to find a balance between airflow and noise. I can see some amazon orders being put in for the weekend

Just now, equalexpert said:

Yeah in an ideal world it would all be passive haha. Just trying to find a balance between airflow and noise. I can see some amazon orders being put in for the weekend

I believe the NF-A12x25s remain the best airflow/pressure/noise balanced fans... they're just rather pricy. What temps were your NVMe drives actually hitting? A 20C increase isn't bad unless it puts them out of safe operating range. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

If you don't want to move into server stuff, I would say T30 is what you are looking for. Smacks around that little Noctuna.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, Zando_ said:

I believe the NF-A12x25s remain the best airflow/pressure/noise balanced fans... they're just rather pricy. What temps were your NVMe drives actually hitting? A 20C increase isn't bad unless it puts them out of safe operating range. 

So the nvme drives go from about 29c idle to in the 50s which is in tolerance. The hard drives go from mid 20s to low 40s. Ive just swapped them over to my redux fans to leave running and better gauge the differences

23 minutes ago, freeagent said:

If you don't want to move into server stuff, I would say T30 is what you are looking for. Smacks around that little Noctuna.

Yeah already in the server stuff however i have some netapp shelves that move a load of air and are dead quiet. not tore them down to find the fans though, not that they are 120s anyway. 

The T30 is phanteks i think? can see me ordering a selection and returning those that dont pass the grade haha

Do you have heatsinks on the NVMe drives? Could be an option to dissipate heat quicker with lower airflow meaning quieter running fans can then become an option?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 hour ago, TatamiMatt said:

Do you have heatsinks on the NVMe drives? Could be an option to dissipate heat quicker with lower airflow meaning quieter running fans can then become an option?

i do on one of them, the kioxia has a eq sink on it however i never noticed a difference in temps using it haha

30 minutes ago, equalexpert said:

eq sink

whats an eq sink?

And like what kind? There a lot of NVMe heatsinks, ones that work as a large thermal mass for bursty loads (but wont work very well in a sustained workload and get saturated) and ones that actually actively cool with fins and heatpipes designed more for sustained workloads

Like this basic thermalright one, a big block

image.png.ed6eb351f9480c609e21e3562785dfdc.png

Or this one, which will actively cool

Thermalright Rolls Out HR-10 2280, an M.2 SSD Heatsink : r/NewMaxx

System specs:

if u want  RGBest

CM mobius 120p    🙂 

22 minutes ago, equalexpert said:

my bad, EK.

EK-M.2 NVMe Heatsink - Black – EK Webshop

Ah i see, kind of a mix of both types then, could try one of the thermalright ones or a similar one and see if temps improve, that way you can reduce the noise of the fans a decent bit

System specs:

19 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Ah i see, kind of a mix of both types then, could try one of the thermalright ones or a similar one and see if temps improve, that way you can reduce the noise of the fans a decent bit

Ill havea look and check my case to see if any covers, cards obstruct it

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, equalexpert said:

Hi all

Message me in 5 hours or look through the 120 reviews on my channel. I may be able to find something but I'm at work. Or look at HW Busters as they do spectrum analysis. 

Edited by RevGAM
Corrected mistake made by Otto Rong.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂